Forum - View topic
NEWS: Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD's New Features Highlighted in Trailer


Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Animeking1108



Joined: 26 Apr 2011
Posts: 452

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:15 am Reply with quote
All these new features, and yet redubbing the voices isn't one of them. I know that the laughing scene was intentionally stupid, but that doesn't excuse Yuna's wooden delivery and Tidus sounding too whiny.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
yuna49



Joined: 27 Aug 2008
Posts: 1311

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
All these new features, and yet redubbing the voices isn't one of them. I know that the laughing scene was intentionally stupid, but that doesn't excuse Yuna's wooden delivery and Tidus sounding too whiny.


Would that we could get bilingual games with subtitles, but no, Sony thinks that's a bad idea.

I have more of a problem with Kari Wahlgren's heavy-breathing act as Ashe in FF XII.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Rahxephon91



Joined: 08 Jun 2003
Posts: 1625
Location: Park Forest IL.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:24 pm Reply with quote
FFXII's voice acting is fantastic. What you're talking about is the audio quality which is pretty bad all around.

Also the lack of bilingual release is more on Square then Sony. It's not like LR and Drakengard won't have Japanese voice dlc.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
yuna49



Joined: 27 Aug 2008
Posts: 1311

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:03 pm Reply with quote
No, it's not the audio quality. We disagree about the quality of the voice acting. Let's leave it at that.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Rahxephon91



Joined: 08 Jun 2003
Posts: 1625
Location: Park Forest IL.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Well you're just simply wrong. I'm sorry. FFXII simply has the best English localization of any jrpg. It's really quite unarguable. Except for the fact that the English audio track is compressed and everyone sounds like they were recorded in a closet.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Uokel



Joined: 28 Jul 2013
Posts: 26

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:08 pm Reply with quote
You do realize it's his opinion and I too agree that the quality of the voice acting was not that great
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Rahxephon91



Joined: 08 Jun 2003
Posts: 1625
Location: Park Forest IL.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:19 pm Reply with quote
Uokel wrote:
You do realize it's his opinion and I too agree that the quality of the voice acting was not that great
Oh I realize that and I realize hhe/she is also wrong. FFXII has always been praised for it's fantastic localization and dub. It's really not arguable that it's bad, because it really isn't. The translation of XII brings so much atmosphere and life to the game that is missing in the Japanese version and the voice acting makes everything sound super authentic. I'm sorry to say the voice acting in XII is bad is just completely wrong. What jrpg has a better dumb quite honestly? Are you just one of those people who can't fathom good English voice acting and it's Japan or the highway? XII dosen't sound anywhere near as good in Japanese.

It's also a fact that the sound quality in XII is bad.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Uokel



Joined: 28 Jul 2013
Posts: 26

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Again his opinion isn't wrong. He didn't like it that is a fact. Going no you are wrong is like saying NO you actually liked it when he clearly states no he didn't. Just deal with the fact people don't like the voice acting for it and move on.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RyanSaotome



Joined: 29 Mar 2011
Posts: 4210
Location: Towson, Maryland

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:05 pm Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:
Well you're just simply wrong. I'm sorry. FFXII simply has the best English localization of any jrpg. It's really quite unarguable. Except for the fact that the English audio track is compressed and everyone sounds like they were recorded in a closet.


You can't have the best localization if you don't give people the option of what voices they want to hear.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Rahxephon91



Joined: 08 Jun 2003
Posts: 1625
Location: Park Forest IL.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:15 pm Reply with quote
Uokel wrote:
Again his opinion isn't wrong. He didn't like it that is a fact. Going no you are wrong is like saying NO you actually liked it when he clearly states no he didn't. Just deal with the fact people don't like the voice acting for it and move on.
The voice work for XII is factually and objectively good. You are wrong if you think it's bad. There really is no argument.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Rahxephon91



Joined: 08 Jun 2003
Posts: 1625
Location: Park Forest IL.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:29 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Rahxephon91 wrote:
Well you're just simply wrong. I'm sorry. FFXII simply has the best English localization of any jrpg. It's really quite unarguable. Except for the fact that the English audio track is compressed and everyone sounds like they were recorded in a closet.


You can't have the best localization if you don't give people the option of what voices they want to hear.
Actually localization just means making the product appropriate for whatever nation it is being localized in. It really does just mean translation(more then that really). Keeping the orginal language really isn't part of the processes so no it's not a point off.

Go play the inferior Japanese version if you have to be one of those people. XII's English localization is in fact the best work Square has done. A smith took the script and put a great old modern English spin on it. Which makes Ivalice's already fantastical world feel more adventurous and whimsical. It's probably the most well written FF, avoiding awkward and in your face dialogue. Then the game has real authentic and authentic va which makes it sound better then any normal anime dub. Then it goes further with featuring really unique voices such as Fran which adds plenty of character on its own.

It is thier best localization. Maybe bested by DQ7. It's well crafted and obviously cared for.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Uokel



Joined: 28 Jul 2013
Posts: 26

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Again you are wrong if you think everyone has to like what you like. How hard is that to understand?
and on a side note to go There really is no argument is also wrong.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RyanSaotome



Joined: 29 Mar 2011
Posts: 4210
Location: Towson, Maryland

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:09 pm Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:
Go play the inferior Japanese version if you have to be one of those people.


Technically the Japanese version is superior since they have the directors cut with the Zodiac Job system that we never got.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Rahxephon91



Joined: 08 Jun 2003
Posts: 1625
Location: Park Forest IL.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:13 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Rahxephon91 wrote:
Go play the inferior Japanese version if you have to be one of those people.


Technically the Japanese version is superior since they have the directors cut with the Zodiac Job system that we never got.
You mean the one with English voice acting? Ok sure.

Either way it's clear we're talking about scripts and va in which yes the English version is the best. So yeah import the Zodiac because it has the dub. I sure did. Though it's arguable if that is better.

Uokel wrote:
Again you are wrong if you think everyone has to like what you like. How hard is that to understand?
and on a side note to go There really is no argument is also wrong.
Its pretty hard to understand when your saying one of the most objectively good English versions of a Japanese game is good. So no I will think your opinion is wrong, you don't know anything about good voice acting, and/or you're just one of those people who blindly think anything in Japanese is better.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Uokel



Joined: 28 Jul 2013
Posts: 26

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:31 pm Reply with quote
It's not very hard to understand that people like different things regardless of how you feel about it. You need to learn to deal with that, it's called being mature. Regardless of what you say my or the other persons opinions are not wrong Neither are yours but going you are wrong just because it doesn't fit your liking does not make it wrong
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group