• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD's New Features Highlighted in Trailer

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rpgamer79

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:11 pm Reply with quote
The Japanese cast for 12 was mainly a mix of veterans and high profile seiyuu (except for few). I have tried both, the English voice acting was admirably good, but there is no way it can be compared with the superior performance of the Japanese cast (at least for me). After all, as it was mentioned in the other comments, it is a matter of opinions and preferences. Expressing your opinion is always welcomed, but imposing it is the stupidity by itself.

P.S.

Some of the Japanese cast (For those who are familiar with Seiyuu profiles):

Akio Otsuka
Chikao Otsuka
Norio Wakamoto
Hiroaki HIRATA
Rikiya Koyama
Rica FUKAMI
Mie SONOZAKI
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:22 pm Reply with quote
You just think the Japanese is better for the sake of it being Japanese. The fact that you have to cite how the voice actors are famous and well known is enough to prove that. Even if the voice actors were well known in in the English dub, that wouldn't be the first thing or the reason at all to praise the dub. The Japanese track is of course good , but the English script combined with terrific voice acting that fits the world and setting of the game makes for a far better version.

And no, there are things that are just objectively good. The English localization of FFXII is one of those things.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
rpgamer79

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:03 pm Reply with quote
rpgamer79

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:23 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
fact that you have to cite how the voice actors are famous and well known

When Tom Hanks or Maryl streep would be listed in a movie, we can make sure it is not going to be the type of Van Damme movies.

And yes 99% most of the time, the Japanese Voice acting is considered superior within the Japanese media industry. It is a well known profession and they put too much efforts for it, and this is a fact. A good example is Valkyrie Profile, It is like comparing a masterpiece with a trash.

and please do not act like you are the only smart guy here on the table.
If you are intentionally trying to ignore that because you do not want to accept other people's language, then please blame your ignorance.
aeris2001x2

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:12 am Reply with quote
But no Japanese version like in XIII-3??? That is just unacceptable in this day and age.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
When Tom Hanks or Maryl streep would be listed in a movie, we can make sure it is not going to be the type of Van Damme movies.
But them being there dosen't make it automatically good.

Quote:
And yes 99% most of the time, the Japanese Voice acting is considered superior within the Japanese media industry.
Sure. Your point?

Quote:
It is a well known profession and they put too much efforts for it, and this is a fact.
Is it fact? I thought you people wanted opinions? Either way, no one said the Japanese voice acting was bad or that English is usually better. So why you're bringing this up I have no idea.

Quote:
A good example is Valkyrie Profile, It is like comparing a masterpiece with a trash.
Wow you took a 90s Enix PSX game. What a fair comparison. Why don'y you take something a bit more modern. I don't know FFXIII, Persona, VP2, and so on. Where the actual English dub is good, maybe not better but good. Though I would easily argue that XIII sounds better in English since the main characters sound better, but that's something else.

Either way fine though I don't think everything Japan does is some glorias thing, I never said that the Japanese voice acting is'nt usually better. What I said is in this one example, maybe the only one, that FFXII is better in English. The script is better. The voice acting is better and for more appropriate. All you can say is "oh it has these people". I get it, Japan is always better.

Quote:
and please do not act like you are the only smart guy here on the table.
I don't have to act.

Quote:
If you are intentionally trying to ignore that because you do not want to accept other people's language, then please blame your ignorance.
What?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
hemizap

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:27 pm Reply with quote
So ya, I pre ordered this game a few months ago, looking forward to when it arrives.

Didn't know if I should make a post since this is apparently and FF12 discussion, hopefully we get a ps3 remaster to 12 since it was one of my favs.
rpgamer79

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:43 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Your point?

Blame you ignorance

Quote:
why you're bringing

You brought it first on the table through your comments not me

Quote:
What a fair comparison

it is a perfect example for a trash VS a masterpiece (i.e. Professionals VS Dumbs )

Quote:
more appropriate

FFXII is a mix between old Europe and mediterranean culture, so if we want to follow your -stupid- argument we should bring people from Greece or Turkey to do the voice acting in order to match that environment. (not a fake American voice actors).

Quote:
What?

again, IGNORANCE

I said at the beginning that I went through both version, so my judgment was not on one side but it seems you will not be happy until I would say this:

Fine, your fake English dub version of FFXII is much better than the authenticated professional Japanese voice acting, which was actually picked by the Japanese director himself during the game creation.

I hope this would make you happy now

P.S.
"Dub -in any language- is faking to make the product more appealing"
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:05 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Blame you ignorance
Oh so you don't actually have a point. Because as you could see I never said anything bad about the Japanese voice acting. So your bringing that up was completely dumb on your part.

Quote:
You brought it first on the table through your comments not me
Nope, I claimed that this is one of the few instances where the English is actually better. Never said the Japanese was bad. You're entire reason for saying the Japanese was better was because it had famous vas and nothing more. Now for whatever reason you're trying to turn this into "you're ignorant for not liking other languages" even though I said nothing of like. Calling my ignorant is kind of pointless when I never said anything bad about Japanese voice acting.

Quote:
it is a perfect example for a trash VS a masterpiece (i.e. Professionals VS Dumbs
Yes and your point. Man your Japanese bias is just becoming more obvious so I was obviously right.

The English dub of VP comes from such a different time. Compare it to at least something modern where English VA has actually gotten good. You're choosing an easy target and using that to make a point especially when what you're choosing has no actual relevancy. At least chose a bad modern dub like SO4. Though even in Japanese the script is awful it's just the Japanese goes with the anime mood that game is going for.

But either way, what is your point. Other then trying to prove you're "Only Japanese things are good bias" you seem to not understand that I never said Japanese voice acting was bad anywhere. I just found you're reasoning to be pretty bad, because it really just came off as "thier famous and it's Japanese so it's better". That is not an absolute thing.

Quote:
FFXII is a mix between old Europe and mediterranean culture, so if we want to follow your -stupid- argument we should bring people from Greece or Turkey to do the voice acting in order to match that environment. (not a fake American voice actors).
Oh it's stupid because you can't argue against it. I'm happy to see that you're broken now. The script and world of FFXII is very European influenced and guess what most of the games dub cast are in fact Europeans. Good European VA. Kari Whelgren is one of the few who is not. So yes the script work and dub work does bring more atmosphere to the game. Apparently that's a stupid argument to say a English version is better because it improves the immersion and thus story of a game. Who would have known.

Quote:
again, IGNORANCE
Ignorance of what. I'm sorry that for one time I decided to actually think that a English version beats something from all precious Japan. That's not ignorance, that's not having some incredible bias.

Quote:
Fine, your fake English dub version of FFXII
Fake? It's Fake how?

Quote:

is much better than the authenticated professional Japanese voice acting
Yep because English voice actors can't be professional right? Not compared to glorious Japan huh?

Quote:
which was actually picked by the Japanese director himself during the game creation.
lol which one?

Alexander O. Smith the translator and dub producer and a guy Matsuno must really like and trust also really focused on getting quality voice actors, those who had theater experience and what not.

But I get it. It's not in Japanese so it's worse right?
rpgamer79

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:28 am Reply with quote
Quote:
English voice actors can't be professional right?

For Japanese media, yes and yes again whether you want to accept it or not. Face it Mr.Ignorant.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:35 am Reply with quote
rpgamer79 wrote:
Quote:
English voice actors can't be professional right?

For Japanese media, yes and yes again whether you want to accept it or not. Face it Mr.Ignorant.

I'm sorry I hate to break it to you, but you are only one being ignorant here. Which you still haven't explained how I'm bring ignorant, though going from this I guess it's because I don't see that Japanese voice acting is 100% always better?

Really English voice actors can't professionally dub Japanese media. Ok buddy whatever.
rpgamer79

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:46 am Reply with quote
I do apologize but this the ugly truth, please do not get disappointed.

The good news is ignorance is not disease after all, you can resolve it easily by respecting others and accepting their opinion and culture. I am sure after teaching yourself more you will be cured.

Last edited by rpgamer79 on Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:51 am; edited 1 time in total
shamisen the great

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:51 am Reply with quote
All right guys, let's take it outside.

Seriously though, I never get tired of people claiming something is objectively good. It totally never gets old. Rolling Eyes
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:57 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I do apologize but this the ugly truth, please do not get disappointed.

Says I'm wrong for trying to sate that something is factually good. Then basically days something similar. Hilarious.

Disappointed at what? I know that English dubs can be good and at times better then the Japanese. Sorry, that's the truth.

Quote:
The good news is ignorance is not disease after all, you can resolve it easily by respecting others and accepting their opinion
You can't even do that.

Quote:
and culture.
What? Again, this has nothing to do with culture.
rpgamer79

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:01 am Reply with quote
shamisen the great wrote:
All right guys, let's take it outside.

Seriously though, I never get tired of people claiming something is objectively good. It totally never gets old. Rolling Eyes

Sure no problem
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2