• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Fans Vote on Their Favorite Anime Directors Post-Miyazaki

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tenchi

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:11 pm Reply with quote
I'd say Masahiko Ohta, since I freaking love the first season of Minami-ke and also enjoyed Kotoura-san and I will get around to watching Yuruyuri eventually, I just don't have any money to spend on anime right now.

For directors who have directed an actual theatrical anime film, though, I gotta go with Naoko Yamada. Yes, for the K-On! movie. Which was fantastic. Plus, if you watch the extras on the K-On! movie Blu-Ray, she's actually kind of cute. Cuter than the K-On! seiyuus, actually.

EDIT: For my favourite director on that list, it's a coin-flip between Yutaka Yamamoto and Junichi Sato. But I'm someone who far prefers TV anime to theatrical anime.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mr. Zebra

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Goro Miyazaki?! You've got to be kidding me! Talk about riding on name alone.

Hideaki Anno or Mamoru Oshii should be number 1.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Zatheyll wrote:
Urobuchi is the only other director I know of than Miyazaki that is such a fan favorite among so many people. He's done some of the highest rated and selling anime of all time.

This tells you everything you need to know about how much most people care about anime directing. If you can name more than 4 directors PERIOD (off the top of your head, without consulting google or the encyclopedia) then you're ahead of 95% of anime fans. (Heck, the only reason I say "4" is because most people can get 2 by saying "Miyazaki & his son", plus I only think Anno is as high as he is on that list also due to name recognition (curious to know if he'd have placed as high WITHOUT being in The Wind Rises), and then I'll grant that at least 50% of anime fans can name ONE anime director who isn't "Miyazaki")
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:17 pm Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:
Zatheyll wrote:
Urobuchi is the only other director I know of than Miyazaki that is such a fan favorite among so many people. He's done some of the highest rated and selling anime of all time.

This tells you everything you need to know about how much most people care about anime directing. If you can name more than 4 directors PERIOD (off the top of your head, without consulting google or the encyclopedia) then you're ahead of 95% of anime fans. (Heck, the only reason I say "4" is because most people can get 2 by saying "Miyazaki & his son", plus I only think Anno is as high as he is on that list also due to name recognition (curious to know if he'd have placed as high WITHOUT being in The Wind Rises), and then I'll grant that at least 50% of anime fans can name ONE anime director who isn't "Miyazaki")

To be fair uruobuchi actually does direct visual novels. He actually directs the games in nitro plus's yaoi line, if what my customers told me is true.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:54 am Reply with quote
Myaow: He was also an otaku serial killer and rapist, and single-handedly threatened to destroy anime in the same way that dick-bags shooting up schools threaten video games today. The good Miyazaki was still just establishing himself at the time, but just had to be around when that evil Miyazaki was committing his crimes. Hence my comment. So when Hayao trashes otaku, he's not just doing it flippantly. I'm sure he's still bitter that one of them nearly railroaded his entire career with his shenanigans.
Myaow

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:04 am Reply with quote
Interesting thought!
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Seems the list is more about the movie-going public.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:43 pm Reply with quote
Goro is not bad, though he hasn't made anything really considerable. The guy who directed Arriety also made the list. Both are on the list due to the overwhelming popularity of Ghibli's films, a by-product of Miyazaki's talents.

Anno (EVA), Oshii (Ghost in the Shell, Angel's Egg, Urusei Yatsura 2: Beautiful Dreamer), Shimbo (PMMM) and Saito (Aria, Princess Tutu), are probably the best ones out of these 20. Hosoda, Shinkai and Otomo are also very good ones.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:51 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Puso: Unfortunately, even if Kon was still alive, he'd not be on the list, because he was never a success in Japan. Crying or Very sad

That's because he wasn't that good a director. Compared to the stuff Anno, Oshii, Otomo, Shinkai, Shimbo, Saito, Hosoda made, his stuff looks mediocre to me.

The love Kon gets from western anime fans is from his more aggressive, western directing, style. The same with Watanabe, who get's the love from western anime fans by making stuff with more western sensibilities.

I think that ABe should be on the list, he directed Haibane Renmei! One of the greatest works of art in the history of the artform, though he is not mainly a director so it makes sense he is not here, but among creative names in the anime industry he is top of the line stuff: Lain, Renmei, Texhnolyze, though he is only the single author responsible for Renmei, but man, everything I watched from him has been powerful.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
PusoPimp

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:03 am Reply with quote
Jose Cruz wrote:

That's because he wasn't that good a director. Compared to the stuff Anno, Oshii, Otomo, Shinkai, Shimbo, Saito, Hosoda made, his stuff looks mediocre to me.

The love Kon gets from western anime fans is from his more aggressive, western directing, style. The same with Watanabe, who get's the love from western anime fans by making stuff with more western sensibilities.

I think that ABe should be on the list, he directed Haibane Renmei! One of the greatest works of art in the history of the artform, though he is not mainly a director so it makes sense he is not here, but among creative names in the anime industry he is top of the line stuff: Lain, Renmei, Texhnolyze, though he is only the single author responsible for Renmei, but man, everything I watched from him has been powerful.[/quote]

While I agree about Watanabe getting popularity and fans in the west because of his western sensibilities (although Cowboy Bebop was a masterpiece) I don't quite get the same sense out of Kon. In fact a lot of his works delved into issues I felt were pretty uniquely Japanese (ex. the suicide episode of Paranoia Agent). He had a pretty "cultureless" feel to his work for the most part. Aggressive isn't exactly the word I'd use to describe his work either (except Perfect Blue in a sense)...I mean have you seen Tokyo Godfathers? That was almost Hosoda-esque lol.

A lot of the guys you mentioned as being better than him don't seem that way to me. While Hideaki Anno created Evangelion (which was the greatest anime of all time in my opinion) his body of work as a whole doesn't look like anything special minus it (I've never seen gunbusters though). Same with Otomo. Oshii hand 2 notable works but the rest...eh. I've only seen Summer Wars and the Digimon movie out of Hosoda and while he seems quite good too comparing him and Kon is really apples and oranges. I'd say Kon was at least as good at what he did as Hosoda is at what he does based on what I've seen.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4