• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Nature Always Wears the Colors of the Spirit

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ColonelYao47

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:51 pm Reply with quote
I feel like the fun with autographs is what it took to attain that autograph and the moment where you meet said person more than the actual autograph itself. It has its own story.

Yes...I've been waiting for the right moment to post this.

Echo_City

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Projectors have gotten surprisingly cheap. The model I got, the Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 2030, which is full 1080p, 3D-capable, 3-LCD and 2000 lumens, was only $1,000, and the screen I got was less than $200.

Yes, only $1,000 Rolling Eyes

Is 1080 really enough? I'd say no

...Watanabe might be the only Japanese guest to have a legible signature. TBH, that's a more legible English-language signature than I've gotten from many US VAs.

Last edited by Echo_City on Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
relyat08

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:34 pm Reply with quote
ColonelYao47 wrote:
I feel like the fun with autographs is what it took to attain that autograph and the moment where you meet said person more than the actual autograph itself. It has its own story.

lucky bastard! Razz Crying or Very sad
DeathScytheRuler

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:40 pm Reply with quote
The best certificate of authenticity is showing someone a picture of you and the person doing the signing (unless you are not the original owner of the autographed item).
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:05 pm Reply with quote
I have a huge manga collection spanning two decades and I haven't found yellowing to be much of a problem.

Here's the oldest "serious" manga volume I have, volume 1 of the original English-language paperback edition of Urusei Yatsura/Lum, which I bought 20 years ago this coming spring. It's a smidgen more yellow than I was able to capture with the camera, but it's not "yellow" to the point where I think of it as having "yellowed" all that much. My mother has old paperback books where the pages have gone beyond yellow to light brown, compared to those, this is nothing. (I suppose if I still care about manga 20 years from now, when I'm pushing 60, this volume may more closely resemble those really old paperbacks.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
osakaedo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:13 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
I have a huge manga collection spanning two decades and I haven't found yellowing to be much of a problem

Same thing here. Most of the manga in my personal collection look great. Some are as old or older than I am.

At work though... This place is just a mountain of books. And the piles just keep growing. Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop
kakoishii

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:47 pm Reply with quote
you guys are lucky then. I'm far from a manga connoisseur, but the few I have in my collection are mostly yellow. Oddly, Viz is mentioned as a publisher that usually publishes using high quality pages while Tokyopop is noted as going on the cheap, yet my W Juliet collection of manga from viz is completely yellowed (despite the fact I took really good care of them, and read them with care), while my cardcaptor sakura volumes from tokyopop look and feel practically brand new.
Touma

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:09 pm Reply with quote
I am also not having any problems with yellow pages in my old manga.
I wonder is that might be due to the low humidity here in Colorado? The lower air pressure (above 6,000 ft.) might also reduce the rate of oxidation a bit, but that is just a guess.

I have the same Lum book that Tenchi has and it looks just as good as most of my new books. I do not know exactly how old it is because it does not have a printing date. It just says "second printing."

I did make the mistake of displaying some books on a window sill where they got direct sunlight in the morning. They are a bit yellow around the edges of the pages, but just the edges.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ensof

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Though I live in a fairly dry, Mediterranean-type climate, and try to minimise sunlight, yellowing has been a problem for my manga. The worst culprits are the Viz releases from the early to mid 2000s - my copies of Saikano in particular make me want to cry when I open them. My Tokyopop books have actually held up better. However, the paper quality for the first volume of Future Diary was unbelievably cheap and it has already yellowed more than volumes from the same publisher that are over twice its age.

As for binding, the worst example is again from Viz - the first edition of the first volume of Battle Angel Alita fell apart the first time I read it. That was way back in 1994 and fortunately further releases didn't have that problem. More recently the binding on the Infinity Studios releases of Blood Alone simply disintegrated when I re-read them a couple of years ago. The paper and ink used for them was as good as I've seen in a manga, so it's a bit odd that they stinted on the glue. I ended up buying Seven Seas's re-releases of the early volumes when I'd hoped to avoid double-dipping.
osakaedo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:06 pm Reply with quote
kakoishii wrote:
you guys are lucky then. I'm far from a manga connoisseur, but the few I have in my collection are mostly yellow. Oddly, Viz is mentioned as a publisher that usually publishes using high quality pages while Tokyopop is noted as going on the cheap, yet my W Juliet collection of manga from viz is completely yellowed (despite the fact I took really good care of them, and read them with care), while my cardcaptor sakura volumes from tokyopop look and feel practically brand new.

Actually, I made a distinction... Viz Signature titles generally look great. I will not comment on their regular releases.
osakaedo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
I did make the mistake of displaying some books on a window sill where they got direct sunlight in the morning. They are a bit yellow around the edges of the pages, but just the edges.

Generally yellowing just occurs around the edges. Things might bleed through a few millimeters or so deep but I haven't seen pages yellow more than centimeter deep.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:29 pm Reply with quote
My Sailor Moon and Sailor V graphic novels have slightly yellowed (depending on how long I've had them), as have many of my old Shonen Jump graphic novels, and some of my regular novels. It doesn't really bother me too much to be honest. I find it hardly noticeable. Though how QUICKLY Kodansha USA books yellow is troubling.

If you have pictures or video of someone signing their autograph, THAT is the best form of authentication, no matter how famous they are. Always go for that if you can. There are some famous people that do that if they're selling autographs to prove it's really them signing, and not their secretary or whoever. I have Mike Pollock (Dr. Eggman)'s autograph, and Kimberly J Brown (from Halloweentown, also voice of Vampire Princess Miyu)'s autograph, ordered from their official websites, and I assume it's them signing. Both have a relatively small amount of fame for me to believe they sign their own autographs.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:57 pm Reply with quote
I hope those of you with artwork and original sketches/autographs have an online gallery somewhere. I enjoy looking at them.

Regarding yellowing of comics, have you tried using microchamber paper? It acts as a buffer against deterioration, and it has a very high acid removal capacity. A lot of art collectors use it to protect their artwork, especially paper items, and it might work well for comics too. MC Paper isn't that expensive; I think I paid $50(with shipping) for 100 sheets of B4L sized paper about a year ago.

If you're reading this, Max, I, too, collect a lot of anime/manga autographs, so I understand what you're going through. Authenticity can be difficult to prove. There are lots of auctions on Yahoo Japan every week of counterfeit sketches, and there have been many instances where even Mandarake, a Japanese auction house that sells all things otaku, have sold forgeries. For those autographs you get in person, I would try to take a picture of the person after they finish signing it to document its authenticity. Obviously, there are many guests that don't allow photography, and in those cases, you're SOL. But I'd like to think that if you have a collection where you can back up a large portion of your autographs with photographic proof, that would be taken into account when attempting to authenticate your collection.

Either way, this definitely won't be something you or your grandchildren can haul down to Christie's and expect to get a couple million for it.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:07 am Reply with quote
Maybe the Urusei Yatsura one was a bad example, as it's printed on pretty nice quality paper stock (the original English edition, not the omnibus reprint, which I also have).

Here's maybe a more "typical" example of an older manga volume in my collection, the first volume of the French edition of Kimagure Orange Road, published in 1998 (and I got it pretty much as soon as it first arrived on manga racks in Montreal), printed on cheap newsprint.

Even taking into account the cheaper paper, it's really only a touch more yellow than the Urusei Yatsura volume I posted earlier, mostly around the edges of the pages.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:14 am Reply with quote
ColonelYao47 wrote:

This is interesting because Watanabe was here in the US for a tour, and I got his signature on a few things, and like most Japanese artists he signs in Kanji. So its kind of curious that your signature is in English.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3