• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Announces 3rd Round of Attack on Titan Dub Cast

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:39 pm Reply with quote
Matthew Mercer? Doesn't he work for Bang Zoom or Studiopolis? What's he doing at FUNimation? Not that I'm not happy about this. It just took me by surprise.

Also, more Jessica Calvello! Yay!
Gyt Kaliba

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:44 pm Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:
Matthew Mercer? Doesn't he work for Bang Zoom or Studiopolis? What's he doing at FUNimation? Not that I'm not happy about this. It just took me by surprise.

He does primarily work in LA, but he's done a few things for FUNi. He was also in Fullmetal Alchemist: The Sacred Star of Milos, and I want to say he's already been in something else from them...but I'm drawing a blank on what it was.

I'm still surprised Jamie Marchi isn't Sasha, since that's who I kept hearing in my head for some reason.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
GTO Neko

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:48 pm Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:

Also, more Jessica Calvello! Yay!

Yeah, the thing to remember that a fair portion of the FUNimation "main stays" have been working for both FUNi and Bang Zoom. It just comes down to simply going for a role they wish to tryout for.

In any case, this will be interesting to see where it goes for the dub cast for this. So far, a lot of good choices overall, just gotta wait for the overall execution for it all and see how they perform.
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:49 pm Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:

Ya never know. Due to being at the right place and/or the right time I guess, certain actors can be offered rare opportunities and thus be willing to accept them. Especially when Mike MacFarland is around. This isn't the first time he managed to get a voice actor who usually resides in a different state to do a dub in Texas. He somehow managed to get Sam Regal to reprie his role as Flynn in the Takes of Vesperia movie. He got Scott McNeil to voice Shiki in One Piece Strong World when Scott happened to be in the neighborhood, and then got Christopher Corey Smith to voice Spandam in One Piece for a few months after hearing a reel (or clip I think, I don't remember what exactly Chris said on his interview in the One Piece Podcast) of his role as the Joker from the Lego Batman video games. And he somehow got Mike Sinterniklas to take time out of his busy schedule to voice Kenji in Summer Wars.

So Mike clearly has connections, which is important in voice acting! Where do they all come from though, I have no freaking idea! Laughing

Gyt Kaliba wrote:
He does primarily work in LA, but he's done a few things for FUNi. He was also in Fullmetal Alchemist: The Sacred Star of Milos, and I want to say he's already been in something else from them...but I'm drawing a blank on what it was.

Wait, he wasn't by any chance that fugitive Alchemist in the film, was he?
Gyt Kaliba

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Hypeathon wrote:
So Mike clearly has connections, which is important in voice acting! Where do they all come from though, I have no freaking idea! Laughing

Yup, and it goes both ways too - somehow or another, Chris Sabat wound up playing Garland in Dissidia, and Mike himself plays Teratani (the character in my avatar) in the I"s OVAs that Viz put out. The world of voice-over, English-wise, is becoming much more global nowadays than it used to. At least as far as mixing the areas where the work exists goes, anyway.

Hypeathon wrote:
Gyt Kaliba wrote:

Wait, he wasn't by any chance that fugitive Alchemist in the film, was he?

I think that's who it was, yeah. Checking the ANN listing, he was 'Melvin Voyager' but I honestly can't remember for sure if that's who you're talking about or not. My memory of Milos is sketchy at best.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:06 pm Reply with quote
Gyt Kaliba wrote:
Hypeathon wrote:

Yup, and it goes both ways too - somehow or another, Chris Sabat wound up playing Garland in Dissidia, and Mike himself plays Teratani (the character in my avatar) in the I"s OVAs that Viz put out. The world of voice-over, English-wise, is becoming much more global nowadays than it used to. At least as far as mixing the areas where the work exists goes, anyway.

Yeah, even in Pokemon. Like J Michael Tatum got to voice a couple of characters after meeting Tom Wayland at New York Comic Con a few years ago, who since at least that point has been voice directing the show. Leah Clark was similarly in Pokemon around the same time. Did she meet Tom Wayland the same way though I'm not sure.

Quote:
I think that's who it was, yeah. Checking the ANN listing, he was 'Melvin Voyager' but I honestly can't remember for sure if that's who you're talking about or not. My memory of Milos is sketchy at best.

...........So am I the only one who almost always mistakes his voice for Troy Baker's? Because since I saw the film back when Funimation screened it in select theaters, I was certain that was Troy voicing the character.

Last edited by Hypeathon on Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
thekingsdinner

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:06 pm Reply with quote
I just shouted "YES!" at my monitor when I saw R Bruce Elliott as Pyxis.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TG72

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:10 pm Reply with quote
I really like Matranga and Glass. It's good to see them both in the mix...
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Just out of curiosity, short of a separate announcement for EACH CHARACTER, am I the only one that thinks this is the most annoying way possible to do this? (this being the cast announcement)
Gyt Kaliba

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Hypeathon wrote:
...........So am I the only one who almost always mistakes his voice for Troy Baker's? Because since I saw the film back when Funimation screened it in select theaters, I was certain that was Troy voicing the character.

LOL, nope, you are not the only one. They have similar voices. In fact, Mercer has been used as a 'sound-alike' for Baker at least once already. In the dub for Persona 4: The Animation, there's a character named Kanji Tatsumi that Baker played in the original game, and they did get him to come back to reprise the role in the anime. Halfway through however, something came up (I want to say it was Baker's wedding/honeymoon?) that left him unavailable to finish up the second half of the series, so Mercer played the character for the rest of the dub.
Splitter

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:20 pm Reply with quote
thekingsdinner wrote:
I just shouted "YES!" at my monitor when I saw R Bruce Elliott as Pyxis.

No argument here. That's damn perfect casting.
Nemui_Nezumi

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:52 pm Reply with quote
I saw the third pv like some hours ago and honestly I wasn't expecting Levi to sound like this lol but hey, I'll take it!

if anything, I felt like they toned down a bit his way to speak(? I'm not really sure) but I don't personally hate it (unless the "big ass tree" joke is no more there, then I may get a bit pissed because that one was glorious)

anyways, so far so good and I don't have any kind of complain with the dub!

now I need to know who will voice Eren and Arminnnn

Last edited by Nemui_Nezumi on Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cyclone1993

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:11 pm Reply with quote
Nemui_Nezumi wrote:
I saw the third pv like some hours ago and honestly I wasn't expecting Levi to sound like this lol but hey, I'll take it!

if anything, I felt like they toned down a bit his way to speak(? I'm not really sure) but I don't personally hate it (unless the "big ass tree" joke is no more there, then I may get a bit pissed because that one was glourious)

anyways, so far so good and I don't have any kind of complain with the dub!

now I need to know who will voice Eren and Arminnnn

For some reason I'm thinking Armin will probably be voiced by Maxey Whitehead, at least based off of the characters she usually voices. I'm not sure for the other characters though.

I agree that R. Bruce Elliot as Pixis is a good fit though!
GiriOni

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:37 pm Reply with quote
As an Elite member having watched all the promos so far... DAMN THIS IS GOOD. Good stuff, good stuff.
Otaku Teahouse

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:46 pm Reply with quote
I had R Bruce Elliott act in one of my short films, so I may be biased when I say I've been wanting him to play Pixis for quite a while.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2