• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Initial D's Shigeno to Launch Amazing Hana Manga

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Banken

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:21 am Reply with quote
...Isn't this his first new series in 19 years?

This must be a project of passion because otherwise, why give up your cash cow for something new when you could easily retire?
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:28 am Reply with quote
Banken wrote:
...Isn't this his first new series in 19 years?

This must be a project of passion because otherwise, why give up your cash cow for something new when you could easily retire?

that guy's art is not very good. It maybe 19 years and longer running than One piece, but it has less than 50 vols. OP has 72 vols.
Banken

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:15 am Reply with quote
His art is (or at least was) great, the problem is that his semi-realistic character design puts some people off. Back when he wrote Baribari Densetsu, his characters were adorable shoujo-style designs.

You also don't seem to remember that Initial D was published by a different company (Kodansha versus Shueisha) than One Piece, which has completely different standards for how often they publish manga volumes.

Initial D volumes only came out about twice a year, whereas One Piece comes out every two or three months.

And it's not really fair to compare the hardest-working, most succesful mangaka in history to...basically any other artist.
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:00 pm Reply with quote
I don't really mind the realism in his characters or not. I am looking forward to this given the fact that I am a fan of Initial D and the premise of this interests me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chii85

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Do you think Natsuki (Takumi's ex girlfriend) will be involved in this series?
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:42 pm Reply with quote
I wonder how sexual this will be, we already have nudity in the promo art and initial D had oral sex right in the first chapters. ID had to drop the sex because of plot, but this manga seems to be conductive to sex.
Banken

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:19 am Reply with quote
ID only had sex in the first volume for some reason... But I think the only reason he even put it in their is because Young Magazine is a pretty raunchy magazine and a lot of the series do have sex and nudity. I imagine he didn't feel like putting any more in their.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1