• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Irregular at Magic High School Ad Previews LiSA's Opening Song

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
the MC Isn't a Gary Stu

Lolwat.

The MC is a SUPAH SPESHUL SNOWFLAKE who can't use magic but JUST HAPPENS to also be crazy-good at every other goddamn thing in the world. But of course people don't like him anyway ("the MC is a god and everyone hates him for being so awesome" is one of the worst Marty Stu traits out there). The entire story does NOTHING but furiously masturbate to how amazing he is. He wins practically everything with no challenge. Any "weaknesses" he has are glossed over and utterly irrelevant. Like any good Marty Stu, the hero nominally has flaws but they are actually pointless and only exist for people to fawn over the hero and to deflect criticism. He can't use magic? Oh boo hoo, cry me a river, when he can use 8 billion other amazing things too. "Oh woe is me, I can't create a fireball but I can regrow my limbs, nuke Korea/China with a magic bomb 5 times the size of the Hiroshima and Nagasaki bombs combined, decompose stuff down to the molecular level and 8 thousand other bullshit abilities!"

For the record, those of you who haven't seen the novel, these are the MC's abillities:

>Regrowth - Allows complete recovery of any form of damage/injury. It is not a form of recovery magic; instead, by reverse-reading the records of the Eidos, copying the past information of the target and directly overwriting it, he is able to make the injury "not have existed in the first place".
>Decomposition - Decomposes material into atoms. Has been used by Tatsuya to unarm hundreds of soldiers from their guns at once.
>Material Burst - Decomposes substances into pure energy following E=MC², almost like an atomic bomb. Actually produces more energy than an atomic bomb, as energy is not lost to collisions between electrons and positrons like in annihilation reactions.
>Elite martial artist by world standard. His physical ninja skills are so impressive people thinks they are spells, when they're just his natural parameters.
>Elite class strategist by world standards
>Incredible speed at releasing magic, elite of the elite by world standards. Can essentially eliminate the buffer time completely
>Nearly unlimited magic supply
>Eyes analyze magic, allows him to cancel spells.
>The worlds greatest magic technology engineer
>His crippling flaws are that he's merely "average" in looks and suffers from weakened emotions, making him the cool badass stoic character. He also is bad at baby tier spells, making people discriminate against him

Not a Marty Stu my ass

Why are you defending god-awful shitty writing like this AND defending the Stormfront-tier amount of racism in the story directed towards other Asian races?

Christ, not only is this story My Immortal-levels of bad with its Marty Stu hero it's also Japanese Red Dawn and Japanese The Turner Diaries.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:13 pm Reply with quote
raaaar, Changen ANGRY!!!!!! You no like when angry!!!!
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Sorry, but as an actual writer, it legit offends me that something this amateurish could get published and LIKED while those of who toil away for years have only a minor chance at getting published.

Mahouka is bad. It's not just bad, it's awful
danilo07

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Sorry, but as an actual writer

Really ,you are an actual writer?
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Not published yet but I'm working on it.

Let it be known that I am in no way saying I'm a perfect writer, but Mahouka flouts basic writing 101 so often it's honestly hilarious. It would be laughed out of ANY creative writing class or publishing company.
Randomfart

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Haha you guys are getting trolled. Changen, the writer bit gave it away.

5/10 though.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:01 pm Reply with quote
>Point out how awfully written Mahouka is, mentioning my own writing experience to point out.
>"LALLALA I CAN'T HEAR YOU'RE JUST TROLLING"

Why do I even bother.

Here's an example of my writing by the way

I eagerly await absolute silence from you because you just got put on blast.
Randomfart

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
>Point out how awfully written Mahouka is, mentioning my own writing experience to point out.
>"LALLALA I CAN'T HEAR YOU'RE JUST TROLLING"

Why do I even bother.

Here's an example of my writing by the way

I eagerly await absolute silence from you because you just got put on blast.

Come on now, "got put on blast", "The MC is a SUPAH SPESHUL SNOWFLAKE" you're completely trolling. All of your posts have been biased as hell. Don't even try to act like you're being serious.

Then you give us a link to some half-assed fan fiction that probably uses the same "Gary Stu" character archetype that you've been complaining about, right?
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Randomfart wrote:

Come on now, "got put on blast", "The MC is a SUPAH SPESHUL SNOWFLAKE" you're completely trolling. All of your posts have been biased as hell. Don't even try to act like you're being serious.

Then you give us a link to some half-assed fan fiction that probably uses the same "Gary Stu" character archetype that you've been complaining about, right?

Lol wow, you didn't even read what I had posted, otherwise you would have known that the story was an original one.

Pointing out that Tatsuya is a special snowflake is not trolling it's fact. The story bends over backwards to state how he sucks at normal magic but is godlike at everything else (which completely invalidates any possible detriments from sucking at normal magic) and how everyone discriminates against him for being oh so special even though he's a broken near-godlike walking nuke.

Seriously. He's an elite martial artist, world's greatest magical engineer, can decompose substances into pure energy at will, can cast magic with almost no delay, and so much more. Every time he is challenged, he pulls some bullshit power from his ass and wins. Tatsuya is never challenged. Every "flaw" of his is ultimately irrelevant or so minor it's pointless. How can you deny this? Seriously.

And no, I don't care how many in-story justifications there are for this. Making an MC that overpowered is bad writing, no matter how justified it is in the story.
Randomfart

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:06 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Randomfart wrote:

Lol wow, you didn't even read what I had posted, otherwise you would have known that the story was an original one.

Pointing out that Tatsuya is a special snowflake is not trolling it's fact. The story bends over backwards to state how he sucks at normal magic but is godlike at everything else (which completely invalidates any possible detriments from sucking at normal magic) and how everyone discriminates against him for being oh so special even though he's a broken near-godlike walking nuke.

Seriously. He's an elite martial artist, world's greatest magical engineer, can decompose substances into pure energy at will, can cast magic with almost no delay, and so much more. Every time he is challenged, he pulls some bullshit power from his ass and wins. Tatsuya is never challenged. Every "flaw" of his is ultimately irrelevant or so minor it's pointless. How can you deny this? Seriously.

And no, I don't care how many in-story justifications there are for this. Making an MC that overpowered is bad writing, no matter how justified it is in the story.

No, I don't believe you're for real, that's why I didn't bother reading it.
On top of your posts simply being factually incorrect, you're going for the tried and true fanboy killer move "my opinion = bad writing".

It's just so.. Whiny. I'm starting to think it'd actually be more amusing if you're really being serious.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Okay, at this point YOU are trolling. Because it's not just my opinion, that's the opinion of basically ANY writer (and I mean any REAL writer), including many who are far, far better than I will ever hope to be.

Sheesh, this is worse than dealing with deluded SAO fanboys.
Instinctz

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:17 pm Reply with quote
this is funny.
first of all, his physical skills is SOMETHING he spent his entire god damn life training, it wasn't like it was just given to him. during the beach side story they even talk about all the scars he has from the training.
his casting speed- correct me if i'm wrong, but time and again they talk about how slow casting his magic is compared to other magicians, as a matter of fact, SPEED of casting is one of the things the entry exam took into account, and he didn't do so hot in that.
eyes- you mean someone who spends his free time studying and improving magical engineering skills can see what spell is being cast? dang. his canceling of spells is him really decomposing them, not canceling them out.
strategist- you mean someone who studies magic and builds CADs for magicians can figure out ways to use that magicians magic to there benefit? shocker, that's almost like what they said a magic engineer is supposed to do.
worlds best magical engineer - well when your mother considered you unworthy as a kid and decided to implant a CPU in your brain, i bet you would be smarter than those around you. it isn't like he asked for it.

he is still considered subpar in many categories, as mayumi pointed out.
Randomfart

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Okay, at this point YOU are trolling. Because it's not just my opinion, that's the opinion of basically ANY writer (and I mean any REAL writer), including many who are far, far better than I will ever hope to be.

Sheesh, this is worse than dealing with deluded SAO fanboys.

Come on now, what can you expect when you post all this nonsense? There's no way anyone will give you a serious reply to this childish trollbait. Your "arguments" sound like a kid throwing a tantrum.

You know, if you want to give out valid critique, you can't come off as so biased. And you can't get hung up on one single thing.
Lets see, I don't like Neo in "The Matrix", so going by your example I now have the authority to say that the character is poorly written and because of this it's "the worst movie(you said LN) to ever exist" and the entire movie industry should be condemned for it?

It's honestly harder to believe that one could be such a clown, than it is to think you're trolling. Just have a look at your posts..
Also if you want to have a real conversation about the show, we can do that. But you would have to start with posting accurate statements first.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:52 pm Reply with quote
Instinctz wrote:
i'm sorry but when spoiler[did they "nuke" china twice? they didn't even "nuke" china once. it was SOUTH KOREA that got "nuked" and it was once]

the MC Isn't a Gary Stu spoiler[most people in the world consider a true magician someone who can alter or create phenomenons, the MC, can do neither, he can only RECREATE or Decompose (destroy), as such, his usefulness to society outside of war is actually very limited, since using his recreation magic has a 24 hour limit (IE: he can regrow someones limb, but only if that limb was lost within 24 hours, and it causes him INTENSE amounts of pain to do so. his ability to use other magic is so dismal that he ends up being considered a boon on his family, and due to his low ability to use other magic he ends up being placed in the lower half of the magic high school classes. on the flip side, he is incredibly smart, but again, even then he has his weaknesses, which are noted again and again in the light novels. ]

as for his "racism" as you say it is: spoiler[ the country he nuked had already invaded once in the past, had invaded again, just before he did it, and was PREPARING to invade again, he was authorized, by the JSDF to destroy the Naval Fleet that was preparing to invade his homeland. so let me ask you this mister bitter person: if someone had invaded your homeland twice, and was preparing to do so a third time, and you had the means to wipe out the fleet they were going to use to invade, would you do so? i know i would.]

Actually that is not the impression I get. My honest impression is that outside of the Yotsuba, every other ten master clan family would welcome him in a heart beat. spoiler[ Sure the way magic is measured puts him at a disadvantage, but that is also because he can't use half the skills that would even that. And People like Jumonjii even flat out said, you should marry into the families and that was without knowing half of the stuff Tatsuya could do. And he did not say this as a joke either. ]

Also if Chagen bothered to actually read the work he would know that Tatsuya is far from a Mary Stu, spoiler[ he admitted he would have some trouble with Jumonjii, has his power normally sealed among other restrictions placed on him, and even Lina gave him some trouble, not to mention the parasites which he needed Miyuki to destroy because he could only paralyze them. ]

Also, an argument that does not stand on its merits and degenerates into a shouting match of credentials and alleged "expertise" in a field pretty much loses any objective credibility. You claiming to be a "writer" is basically a cue for everyone to nod and smile and pretty much ignore everything you say after that point.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:04 am Reply with quote
My [expletive] god /a/ was right, Mahouka fans are a whole new level of delusional.

I like how you two have not done anything besides overwrought hand-wringing "STOP CRITICIZING THE BOOKS GOD" and have only served to further prove my point by falling over yourselves to defend the god-awful writing inherent to this waste of ink.

Why are you defending it with all of your lives? Is it because you self-insert that much into it? Do you view my criticisms as literal attacks to your own selves?

Why are you defending this book like it's your child?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5