• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Irregular at Magic High School Ad Previews LiSA's Opening Song

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OH&S

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:53 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
My [expletive] god /a/ was right, Mahouka fans are a whole new level of delusional.

I like how you two have not done anything besides overwrought hand-wringing "STOP CRITICIZING THE BOOKS GOD" and have only served to further prove my point by falling over yourselves to defend the god-awful writing inherent to this waste of ink.

Why are you defending it with all of your lives? Is it because you self-insert that much into it? Do you view my criticisms as literal attacks to your own selves?

Why are you defending this book like it's your child?

I haven't truly gotten into the LNs for this series yet but I will let the anime colour my opinion of it. As a neutral spectator to this ''debate'', Chagen46, you are clearly porttraying yourself as the worse party.

Most of your posts here are written in a way that looks down on Mahouka fans. If you just try to be civil, then everyone else may be willing to discuss and debate your POV. If you really believe in what you are saying, you don't need to try and put yourself on a pedestal; calling yourself a writer doesn't make your argument more or less valid than others and only serves to deteriorate others' impression of you such that they will either think you are trolling or rubbish your argument completely.

Honestly though, from what little material I have viewed, I too am getting that strong Gary Stu vibe from the MC and it is one of the 3 reasons why I haven't dived into the LNs just yet. But even so, pointless questions and insults like what you have posted are unneeded. Heck, I can turn the question back on you.

Why are YOU so hellbent on attacking it with all your might? Why are you attacking this book like you have a vendetta against it?

These questions of mine are just as ridiculous/valid as yours when it comes to an actual argument or debate. But if you want a simple answer to your useless questions: they are defending it because they like the series and are passionate about it; and there is nothing wrong with being passionate about something you like as long as you don't come across as an ass to others (ironically you are the one that is doing this). Your answers to my questions will be as simple as this as well so don't bother with that.

Just don't resort to such petty tactics like that as they could easily be applied to you as well.
Nayu

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:10 am Reply with quote
Ridiculous and invalid are defining characteristics of a Chagen post.

It really isn't worth trying to discuss things with him rationally, he'll retreat to the land of crazy, try to lure you in and beat you with experience.

In regards to Tatsuya being a "Mary Sue", I'd agree he has some of the hallmarks but the author subverts them gleefully. Its really one of those things you need to read for yourself to have a real understanding of what is happening around this troubled character.
Prunus Trick

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:39 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
It basically is the ultimate LN

Wow. I’m surprised to see this, this really sticks out between all the other idiocy you’ve been spouting. It’s a pretty spot on analysis, Mahouka is the ultimate LN in a similar sense that Gurren Lagann is the ultimate Mecha, or Kill la Kill is the ultimate … whatever those Cutie Honey OVAs are. It takes common LN elements, strips unnecessary bloat, focuses on the core features (or rather what the author thinks the core elements are, namely a strong protag and insanely detailed descriptions of the SciFi parts) and cranks them up to eleven.
Saying that means it’s written by a 12 year old is a classic non sequitur. Sure, Gurren Lagann isn’t exactly entertainment of the highest intellectual level, but if you’re looking for that, anime/LN might be the wrong medium for you anyway. There’s a light in light novel for a reason.

Also, creating a magic concept on top of the standard model of particle physics is quite a bit over the head of an average 12 year old – and yours probably as well, judging by your writing style. And what’s so bad about racism in fiction? Racism in fiction, good fiction, is pretty common and considered to give the work intellectual depth, you should stop writing fanfiction and read some actual books, then you might know this.
Or even play some games. Bioshock Infinite, claimed to be the best game of the year pretty much everywhere, had tons of racism.

Chagen46 wrote:
And no, I don't care how many in-story justifications there are for this. Making an MC that overpowered is bad writing, no matter how justified it is in the story.

Says the oh so great writer Chagen46. There are countless stories with main characters much more overpowered than Tatsuya, and you with your legitimacy as a writer with no published works whatsoever completely disregard all of them as bad writing. Hilarious.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:11 am Reply with quote
Man, screw this, talking to you deluded fanboys is like talking to a brick wall.

Have fun in your obnoxious circlejerk. Can't wait for this anime to come out and everyone tears it to shreds just like SAO. Man, you know even /a/ hates this shit, you know?
Randomfart

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:39 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Man, screw this, talking to you deluded fanboys is like talking to a brick wall.

Have fun in your obnoxious circlejerk. Can't wait for this anime to come out and everyone tears it to shreds just like SAO. Man, you know even /a/ hates this shit, you know?

Nayu

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:06 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:

TL;DR version: Screw you guys I'm going home.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:26 am Reply with quote
Actually it's more "talking at a brick wall is pointless and a waste of time", but have fun trying to get the last laugh in.

I'll be vindicated when the anime airs, just remember.

See, I like terrible things, but I admit that the terrible things I like are terrible instead of acting like they're Shakespeare.
Prunus Trick

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:39 am Reply with quote
I neither think it’s terrible nor do I think it’s Shakespeare, you seem to have missed out on that. It is what it is – an over the top LN with explanations everywhere, no more and no less. And yeah, I happen to like lengthy SciFi explanations. (None or nearly none of which are likely to make it into the anime, which is why I’m rather sceptical towards the adaptation)

Chagen46 wrote:
Man, you know even /a/ hates this shit, you know?

That’s so surprising. /a/ hating things, who would have thought. Your new is showing pretty hard.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:26 am Reply with quote
2 months ago, you came crying to the these forums telling us that a bunch of random internet folks on some random internet site were as happy as they could be about Sakura Trick's first episode airing and how you felt like you were repressed and all that shit, and now, you bring them up as your defense. Chagen, please, pick a goddam side.

Also, screw 4chan. why should we give a shit what the collective hive mind of that place thinks? How does bringing up what they feel magically win an argument?
Kaisos Erranon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Chagen is being as tragically unintelligent as ever but Mahouka is an objectivist's wet dream, with Tatsuya playing the role of John Galt. It literally cannot be good.

You guys don't seem to understand that a story can be both competently-written (which I doubt Mahouka is anyway) and very bad for wholly different reasons. Promoting objectivist ideals, especially while making countries that were historically victims of an oppressive regime into enemies worthy of being preemptively nuked is inherently awful no matter how you slice it.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Pointing out the literal mountain of problems in Mahouka's writing is being "unintelligent" now? Disagreeing with you does not mean I'm stupid. I never called YOU stupid for disagreeing with me, so you are really not making yourself look good in the slightest.

Mahouka is not written well by any standard of good writing. Now, it's okay to like awful stuff (heaven knows I do) but please admit that it is awful. Besides the racism, the MC is hilariously overpowered, the books exist solely to circlejerk about how amazing he is, the story abuses infodumps (something any sane writer tries to avoid as much as possible), and any interest the reader can gleam is quickly snuffed out because there's almost no actual conflict.

Why should I care about Tatsuya? He is so powerful, so broken, so loved by everyone that he never actually experiences any conflict. Of course you're not supposed to care about Tatsuya, because he isn't a character so much as a vehicle for the reader to self-insert into and vicariously live through.

Mahouka fails as a story because there is no incentive to keep reading. The plot is perfectly predictable and every situation will be solved with no trouble by the hero. Reading it is pointless, because suspense is almost nonexistent.

And yes, I did read it. It bored me so much I stopped. Doesn't help that like most LNs the writing was completely dry and devoid of any voice, description, or imagery.

(and don't tell me "it gets better", any series which takes several books to get better has already failed. You should already be hooking the reader within the first half of the first book at least and even then that's going slow)
Instinctz

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:

you yourself said that the MC was racist. i proved you wrong and you have brought up no counter arguement to that. as a matter of a fact, the fact that you said the MC was racist (wrong) and nuked China (wrong) twice (wrong), just proves how poorly you actually focused on the books when you were reading them.

but you want to call us delusional. i will be the first to admit that the MC is strong, but he has his faults and weaknesses to offset that.

This anime sidesteps many of the issues that Sword Art Online had for issues.
1) Time skips - don't happen, there is some time skip between story arcs, but during them? not much time is normally skipped.
2) Character development - we see more character development in the first story arc alone then you see in the entire SAO light novels combined; throw in the rememberence LN (8) and you get a more in depth view of why Tatsuya and Miyuki are the way they are.
3) Forced Romance - Honestly, for the most part romance is a side story in MKnR and the author does a good job of making it happen slowly.
4) Dues Ex Machina - unlike in SAO, everything is explained in MKnR, right down to the how and why.
5) Villains - there motives are clearly explained and they actually make some sense as "bad guys". none of this "I forgot why i did it" BS.
6) Filler content - In SAO almost half of the first story arc (first 14 episodes) are filler, that won't even come close to being the case in MKnR, the author keeps it to the main story line, and through the first 12 LNs only has 1 LN of side stories.

Last edited by Instinctz on Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chagen46

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Tatsuya may not be racist, but the author clearly is. And yes, nuking South Korea instead of China, is totally okay, especially in light of Japan's occupation of Korea during WWII. The author isn't merely a hack, he's a racist hack.

And all of Tatsuya's "flaws" are irrelevant or glossed over. They barely matter in the long run.
Instinctz

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Tatsuya may not be racist, but the author clearly is. And yes, nuking South Korea instead of China, is totally okay, especially in light of Japan's occupation of Korea during WWII. The author isn't merely a hack, he's a racist hack.

And all of Tatsuya's "flaws" are irrelevant or glossed over. They barely matter in the long run.

really? his casting speed isn't an issue? because that is holding him back from being a full fledged course 1 student.

and FYI, the japanese in general do not get along with the korean (and vice versa)based on everything i've seen read or heard. and i've been to BOTH countries. more to the point, do we as americans get along with every other country? i'd say many americans have issues with mexico, amongst other countries.

i still don't believe the author Is racist by any means though.
Prunus Trick

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Please stop all the comparisons with SAO. The both are really nothing alike, even the overpowered main character, the strongest “resemblance” of the two, is completely different. Kirito literally does not have any character, he is completely bland and solely there for self inserting. Yes, really. His other purpose is of course driving the story and interacting with other characters, but that could literally be done by anyone with sufficient plot armor. Tatsuya has a ton of monologues (that are sure to be cut for the anime) that present him as pretty damn anti social, a bit like 8man from Yahari. Kirito is master edge and has some strange trauma that forces him to be alone, again something any character could do. And he’s anti social in the sense of incompetence, there’s that, yeah. To make self inserting easier, I guess. It’s not my fault I’m not popular, haha. Tatsuya seems competent on the outside but is rather malevolent on the inside, that’s pretty much the polar opposite of Kirito.

Chagen46 wrote:
Pointing out the literal mountain of problems in Mahouka's writing is being "unintelligent" now? Disagreeing with you does not mean I'm stupid.

Uh, you do know that the one calling you unintelligent wasn’t exactly disagreeing with you, right? He was calling you unintelligent for the sole reason of you being unintelligent.

Chagen46 wrote:
Besides the racism, the MC is hilariously overpowered, the books exist solely to circlejerk about how amazing he is,

I already addressed both points and how they are in no way an indicator for bad writing. (And no, not “solely”, the SciFi/Fantasy mix is a much more important part of the books for me)

Chagen46 wrote:
the story abuses infodumps (something any sane writer tries to avoid as much as possible)

You just don’t like light novels in general, it seems. It does not abuse infodumps, light novels are a medium that quite often focuses on nerdy and lengthy explanations of the things the novel is about. Spice and Wolf has “infodumps“ about economy, Log Horizon about MMO mechanics, Mahouka about the modern world and magic. You’re free to dislike these novels, but they’re not ‘bad writing’, if anything your horizon is just too limited for them. Nothing to be embarrassed about! I only really understood some of the more complicated explanations in Mahouka at the second time reading it, and it’s probably much worse with no knowledge about particle physics and the concept of carrier particles. It is however VERY embarrassing to call a book badly written that you just don’t understand. Wink

Chagen46 wrote:
Mahouka fails as a story because there is no incentive to keep reading.

There is no incentive for you to keep reading. I enjoy it very much, without any form of self inserting, thank you very much.

Chagen46 wrote:
And yes, I did read it. It bored me so much I stopped. Doesn't help that like most LNs the writing was completely dry and devoid of any voice, description, or imagery.

Yeah, as I thought, you just don’t like LNs. Sorry buddy, that’s what LNs are. They focus on different things than other literature, for example said nerdy and lengthy explanations.

I quickly get bored of authors describing landscape and character visuals too much. I couldn’t care less about that stuff, but I don’t go around telling people that what they like is bad writing.

Kaisos Erranon wrote:
Promoting objectivist ideals, especially while making countries that were historically victims of an oppressive regime into enemies worthy of being preemptively nuked is inherently awful no matter how you slice it.

Now this looks more like a discussion worth having. Firstly, why do you think Mahouka promotes objectivism? It really doesn’t. The main character Tatsuya does anything but living for himself. His life is worth nothing to himself, others see him as a tool, and he himself does, too. He’d gladly sacrifice his own life if it was of use to Miyuki because he is but a guardian. There is no self interest to him. Ayn Rand wouldn’t be very happy with Japan of the year 2095 in Mahouka either. There are many things wrong with it, some rather obvious, some rather subtle, like the ease of information manipulation, e.g. censoring. The main focus of the books’ “philosophy“ part is about magicians and how they’re on one hand a very privileged part of society, but also how that is only one side of the story, the other side being the limits and magicians more or less being forced to become military assets. Yes, assets, nothing more. A horror vision to fans of rights of individuals, like objectivists. Economy is, at least for magicians, quite regulated, too, with equipment needed for magic being 90% funded by the state.

On that nuking part, you too like Chagen read some spoilers and just assumed things that are plainly wrong. spoiler[Nuked were not civilians, nuked was the army, the fleet. It’s not much of a pre-emptive nuke either, since said fleet was just about to head for Japan, with other troops already having attacked and being there. Well, they were there, before they got killed by a bunch of high schoolers.]

Lastly, why would it be wrong even if you’re right? Bad things happen in fiction, and the best fiction in my eyes is the fiction that doesn’t clearly paint black and white, just like for example Bioshock infinite lets you realise that there are pretty good reasons for the racism, and only then you notice what you’re actually thinking. If a story manages to lure normal readers into the evil mind of a character, then that’s absolutely stellar. Mahouka does not do that, in no way, I’m just saying that would make for a great story. If Mahouka actually was about nuking other countries and oppressing them to go for world domination, if appropriately presented, that would be great. Let’s take another example that everyone is sure to know, Death Note. What I wrote above literally happens here, minus the nuking part, does that make it bad? No, not at all.

Last edited by Prunus Trick on Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:36 pm; edited 2 times in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5