• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Irregular at Magic High School Ad Previews LiSA's Opening Song

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Prunus Trick

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:10 pm Reply with quote
Instinctz wrote:
it was stated that katsuto, miyuki, mayumi, and mari all could have done what he did as well. so it isn't like he is the only OP one in the series.

Pretty much. Everyone is OP in Mahouka. Tatsuya a bit more than others, but hell, there’s not a single person among the main characters that couldn’t take on a whole army by themselves. Well, maybe Leo not, Leo sucks, but everyone else has either ridiculous abilities, a ridiculous backstory or both. It takes Miyuki less than half a second to kill 100 soldiers. Same for Mayumi, Mari and maybe even the other first years. It might take Katsuto a bit longer only because his talent is defence, in turn he can’t be killed by literally anything, I don’t think there’s a single weapon or magic introduced in the whole series that could harm Katsuto, while there’s a quite few things that could kill Tatsuya.

Almost everyone is “one of the best in the whole world”(tm) at what they’re doing (have a good martial arts guy? well duh, probably trained by Erika, cause why the hell not, and half the soldiers in the country are trained by her family anyway, again, cause why the hell not), and they’re only in high school.

Instinctz wrote:
the point that we are trying to make is this: yes Tatsuya is strong, even overpowered, however, he is not without his own faults and weaknesses to offset his great strength, as has been pointed out again and again in the novels.

I’m not even trying to make that point, I’m saying it isn’t bad writing, because it just isn’t. Tatsuya is nowhere near as obvious an selfinsert as Kirito, he actually has character, the novels don’t have many flaws and the concept that the hero doesn’t power up, that the reader learns instead that the hero always had those abilities, is quite refreshing and new.
Randomfart

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:19 pm Reply with quote
Instinctz wrote:
the point that we are trying to make is this: yes Tatsuya is strong, even overpowered, however, he is not without his own faults and weaknesses to offset his great strength, as has been pointed out again and again in the novels.

no, he isn't racist, and he didn't "nuke" a bunch of civilians (it was purely a military base, a point the novel actually makes).

the novel may not be a masterpiece, comparable to Lord of the Ring, Wheel of Time or A Song of Ice and Fire, but it knows its target audience well and the writing is intended for that audience.

will it be "the best anime ever"? no, i doubt that it will, it might just be the anime of the season (and even year, though i doubt it) and it is an anime that i am looking forward too.

You know, I simply don't like the word "overpowered", or rather it's recent common use. OP means something that's overly strong in relation to everything else, bar 1-2 things.
We can't say that about Tatsuya, we can say he's very strong, but to say that he's unrivaled to that extent would be simply incorrect. So when saying "overpowered" you have to take into account the context of the setting, for example: we cannot say that Thor is OP in the Marvel setting even though he is strong even by superhero standards, simply because he is surrounded by such a large amount of characters with comparable skill.
If we start calling Tatsuya OP, we would have to call everyone of the ten families OP, we would have to most likely call nearly every strategic magician OP and a countless number of magicians in other countries. And if that's the case, what's the point of the term? You degrade it's meaning to simply.. Strong.
And if that's what you mean then why not simply use the original word?

This isn't directed at you in particular. Just my view of the matter.
Instinctz

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:21 pm Reply with quote
Prunus Trick wrote:
Instinctz wrote:
it was stated that katsuto, miyuki, mayumi, and mari all could have done what he did as well. so it isn't like he is the only OP one in the series.

Pretty much. Everyone is OP in Mahouka. Tatsuya a bit more than others, but hell, there’s not a single person among the main characters that couldn’t take on a whole army by themselves. Well, maybe Leo not, Leo sucks, but everyone else has either ridiculous abilities, a ridiculous backstory or both. It takes Miyuki less than half a second to kill 100 soldiers. Same for Mayumi, Mari and maybe even the other first years. It might take Katsuto a bit longer only because his talent is defence, in turn he can’t be killed by literally anything, I don’t think there’s a single weapon or magic introduced in the whole series that could harm Katsuto, while there’s a quite few things that could kill Tatsuya.

Almost everyone is “one of the best in the whole world”(tm) at what they’re doing (have a good martial arts guy? well duh, probably trained by Erika, cause why the hell not, and half the soldiers in the country are trained by her family anyway, again, cause why the hell not), and they’re only in high school.

Instinctz wrote:

I’m not even trying to make that point, I’m saying it isn’t bad writing, because it just isn’t. Tatsuya is nowhere near as obvious an selfinsert as Kirito, he actually has character, the novels don’t have many flaws and the concept that the hero doesn’t power up, that the reader learns instead that the hero always had those abilities, is quite refreshing and new.

plus the reason why tatsuya is able to take massive ammounts of damage and keep fighting is explained.
we never got an explanation for how asuna and kirito survived the first story arc.
Instinctz

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Randomfart wrote:
Instinctz wrote:

no, he isn't racist, and he didn't "nuke" a bunch of civilians (it was purely a military base, a point the novel actually makes).

the novel may not be a masterpiece, comparable to Lord of the Ring, Wheel of Time or A Song of Ice and Fire, but it knows its target audience well and the writing is intended for that audience.

will it be "the best anime ever"? no, i doubt that it will, it might just be the anime of the season (and even year, though i doubt it) and it is an anime that i am looking forward too.

You know, I simply don't like the word "overpowered", or rather it's recent common use. OP means something that's overly strong in relation to everything else, bar 1-2 things.
We can't say that about Tatsuya, we can say he's very strong, but to say that he's unrivaled to that extent would be simply incorrect. So when saying "overpowered" you have to take into account the context of the setting, for example: we cannot say that Thor is OP in the Marvel setting even though he is strong even by superhero standards, simply because he is surrounded by such a large amount of characters with comparable skill.
If we start calling Tatsuya OP, we would have to call everyone of the ten families OP, we would have to most likely call nearly every strategic magician OP and a countless number of magicians in other countries. And if that's the case, what's the point of the term? You degrade it's meaning to simply.. Strong.
And if that's what you mean then why not simply use the original word?

This isn't directed at you in particular. Just my view of the matter.

a very valid point. the novels even make a point to say that there is around i believe 50 people considered to be "stragetic class magicians", and there is numerous that are equal or par for the course with tatsuya.

also. off topic but staying in the story:
Mayumi is best girl.
Prunus Trick

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Nah, Subaru a best, gotta love dem reverse traps. Hope she makes another appearance.

Instinctz wrote:
… and there is numerous that are equal or par for the course with tatsuya.

Or above him. Is there anything that could kill Katsuto? Maya maybe, right? But then again, she can kill Tatsuya too, or just about anybody for that matter. The other strategic class magicians haven’t really been revealed either, there’s bound to be some ridiculous stuff happening.
Instinctz

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Prunus Trick wrote:
Nah, Subaru a best, gotta love dem reverse traps. Hope she makes another appearance.

Instinctz wrote:
… and there is numerous that are equal or par for the course with tatsuya.

Or above him. Is there anything that could kill Katsuto? Maya maybe, right? But then again, she can kill Tatsuya too, or just about anybody for that matter. The strategic class magicians haven’t really been revealed either, there’s bound to be some ridiculous stuff happening.

can you imagine if Katsuto and Tatsuya teamed up on a mutual opponent?

*starts drooling*
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5