• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Cop/Mafia show suggestions?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Hey, so I'm currently looking for 2 types of anime. I dont mind if its sub/dub as long as it fits the genre. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Cop/Detective Show:
I dont care whether the main character is on the side of the law or if he's the criminal. I'm just in the mood to watch a detective show! I also don't mind if its realistic or has some elements of fiction. For example, shows I already watched that meet the standards are:

-Darker Than Black
-Phantom requiem for the phantom
-Psycho-pass
-Death Note
-Monster
-Rin
-Bebop

Mafia Show:
Also an anime about breaking the law but more focused on criminals in this case. Some I've already seen that meet the genre:

-Jormungand
-Black Lagoon
-Baccano
-Black Cat

If anyone knows any anime that are similar to the ones I listed, or meet the cop/mafia sub-genre I'd really appreciate the suggestions. Thanks!
meiam

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:36 pm Reply with quote
What about patlabor? It's mech but its more about police force than anything, I strongly recommend the movie.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:38 pm Reply with quote
The one show I can think of not already mentioned is Cuticle Tantei Inaba. This show has both a detective and mafia protagonist. But this is a totally random comedy anime, so I don't know if that is your thing.
Bango

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:20 pm Reply with quote
I'm a terrible person for seeing a request for cop shows and immediately thinking of Mad Bull and Tank Police.

Patlabor is a great suggestion. Likewise, the You're Under Arrest OVAs were good for a slice-o-life-ish cop show, except for the 4th one where shit got real.

The currently airing Wizard Barristers has a case-solving element to most of it's episodes, although the overall plot is starting to take over. For bonus points the main character is from the same province as you, which is extremely rare for anime.

A friend just mentioned Solty Rei but I seriously don't remember it at all so I can't validate it.

I remember really liking Spiral as it was airing but I can't say that it stands up to the test of time. Maybe somebody who saw it more recently can comment.

If you like T&A there's the Burn Up series. It's also fun to get them all because they kept being made by different people (Burn Up, then W and Excess, and then Scramble). I wouldn't call them "good" but I'd certainly call them "fun"

Kami-sama no Memo-cho had some cool sleuthing stuff and I gave it bonus points for "total pwnage of the villain" at one scene.
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:43 pm Reply with quote
I still haven't seen it, but I'm pretty sure Crying Freeman is the classic mafia/triad/yakuza show.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:05 pm Reply with quote
First of all, congratulations are -- I believe -- in order: Ambimunch, I do believe that you have actually created a recommendation thread that Tony will countenance! Second of all, does Detective Conan fit the bill for what you're looking for?
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:22 pm Reply with quote
^Yes nbahn, Conan fits the bill, I kinda blanked out and left it out along with Ghost in the shell along with Lupin III.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:13 pm Reply with quote
Gungrave -- been a while since I seen it, but it definitely has a mafia thing goin' for it that's pretty down-to-earth till about halfway through the series when it turns into an over-the-top video game. Then again, when you consider that the franchise started out as a video game, it's not half bad at all, with all the backstory they actually managed to give it.
yuna49

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:13 pm Reply with quote
Yakushiji Ryoko no Kaiki Jikenbo focuses on the drop-dead gorgeous head of the "Supernatural Division" of the Tokyo Police. Ryoko has a thing for her male assistant, but he's either too dense or too cagey to notice. The early episodes have a monster-of-the-week feeling, but there's more story later on. The witty dialogue and excellent voice acting is the best part of this show for me.

In Nijuu Mensou no Musume a young heiress is kidnapped by a master thief named "Twenty Faces" and becomes his protege ("daughter"). This is an adapatation of a manga series based on characters by Edogawa Rampo, the "Arthur Conan Doyle" of Japan. In the novels, Nijuu Mensou is the Moriarty character; in the anime his motives are more complex.

The young lady in my avatar is the heroine of Shion no Ou. We see her at thirteen when she aspires to become a professional Shougi ("Japanese chess") player like her adoptive father. At four, she witnessed the brutal murder of her parents. The story follows both Shion's rise through the ranks of Shougi players and the investigation into the murder. I found the murder mystery less compelling than Shion's personal story.

The main character in Ghost Hound is a boy named Tarou who was kidnapped along with his older sister when they were both young children. Now a middle-schooler, Tarou teams up with two other boys to try and identify the kidnapper. This is a show by Shirow Masamune of Ghost in the Shell fame and was the 25th anniversary production by I.G. It mixes psychiatry, neuroscience and mysticism into a strange brew.
egoist

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Gungrave for mafia. Can I be lazy and not say anything else? Laughing

Fine. It's about friendship and punks who want to become big, if you know what I mean. They eventually fall in love and use guns instead of vibrators and fight side by side. It's a great anime.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Kaze no Yojimbo-A stranger comes to town looking for information on a missing friend of his. However, he ends up stirring up a hornet's nest and playing two rival yakuza gangs against each other in a gang war in order to solve an old mystery that many of the town's residents would kill to keep concealed.

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex-Section 09 is secret government organization composed of highly skilled cyborgs drawn from the ex-military and former police who covertly take out or arrest dangerous cyborgs, assassins, terrorists, and hackers.

You're Under Arrest-Revolves around a duo of Japanese traffic cops and their co-workers who attempt to keep the streets safe. It is more of comedy though.

Heaven's Memo Pad-Narumi finds himself mixed up with team of young detectives lead by an eccentric, tech savvy shut-in named Alice. Becomming her assistant and getting involved with their cases also brings him a lot of trouble though, both physical danger and mental as he is exposed to the underworld of the city.
MacAttack270

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:17 pm Reply with quote
As far as detective shows, I'd recommend:

Un-Go - Shinjūrō Yūki, with the help of his mysterious assistant Inga, sets about solving crimes in a near future Japan that is still suffering from the effects of a recent war. On the outside, it seems he is always beaten to the punch by a rival in service of the government, hence his press-created moniker, "the Defeated Detective." However, there is more than meets the eye to this crime-solving duo, as well as a dark secret behind their ability.

I picked this title up a couple of months ago, and it didn't disappoint. If you do end up watching it, make sure to watch Episode 0 following the completion of the season to get the full backstory on the start of Shinjūrō and Inga's relationship.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:48 pm Reply with quote
Bango wrote:
I'm a terrible person for seeing a request for cop shows and immediately thinking of Mad Bull and Tank Police.

Hey now, those two are awesome. Mad Bull because it's so incredibly awful that it somehow becomes amazing, and Tank Police because (for the first two episodes, at least) it's actually legitimately good.

Also, DAT INTRO: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=La7Drjku-Y8
eyeresist

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 1:08 am Reply with quote
Sounds like OP is looking for things in the "crime" genre:

Gungrave - as previously mentioned, though the mafia intrigue is mostly confined to the first half.

When They Cry / Higurashi - varied arcs tend to end in horrible murders.

Witch Hunter Robin - I just posted about this elsewhere. It's a slow-paced show (initially) about an agency that hunts down witches.

Paranoia Agent (1st half) - Tokyo is terrorised by the mysterious Shonen Bat (Bat Boy).

Texhnolyze - very dark show involving mafia clans in an underground city.

Black Lagoon - follows a band of modern-day pirates.

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex - it's basically a cop show, with a case to be solved each week plus an arc mystery.

Case Closed / Detective Conan - a fairly straightforward whodunnit series.
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 1:39 am Reply with quote
DerekTheRed wrote:
I still haven't seen it, but I'm pretty sure Crying Freeman is the classic mafia/triad/yakuza show.

I've seen it now. Definitely crime related, but also the single most batshit insane anime I have ever seen.

Kruszer wrote:
Kaze no Yojimbo-A stranger comes to town looking for information on a missing friend of his. However, he ends up stirring up a hornet's nest and playing two rival yakuza gangs against each other in a gang war in order to solve an old mystery that many of the town's residents would kill to keep concealed.
Excellent show. Based on Akira Kurosawa's Yojimbo, and uses some pretty cool film noire type visual effects that I dug.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2