• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Love;Stories

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:58 pm Reply with quote
On Robotics;Notes: "While the series will likely try and connect all the dots in the second half of the series," Yes, it will connect all the dots, with bullshit. The series hits a high at episode 16, and then nose dives for the rest of the episodes. Biggest disappointment of the year for me. It soared high, only to plummet to the ground in flames. STUPID DEUS EX MACHINA BOX THAT THEY PULLED OUT OF THEIR ASS!!!!!
AsherFischell

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Really, Robotics;Notes is shelf worthy? This isn't as stupid as when she listed the Blood C movie as shelf worthy, but come on. It also doesn't help that KoiChoco and Jormungand are both much better series.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Ah yes, Robotics;Notes. Kaito was too distant, the whole "play a video game and spoiler[save the world]" plot was nonsense, and there were enormous mysteries that were never solved. Including the most mind-boggling one of all: where the heck did spoiler[the monopoles come from, who sent them, and how did they know where and when to drop the monopoles so that they'd land right in front of the protagonists?]

It was overall an extremely poor and highly disappointing show. It is watchable but completely nonsensical.
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:25 pm Reply with quote
AsherFischell wrote:
Really, Robotics;Notes is shelf worthy? This isn't as stupid as when she listed the Blood C movie as shelf worthy, but come on. It also doesn't help that KoiChoco and Jormungand are both much better series.

This review is only for the first half, before it went downhill.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:35 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
This review is only for the first half, before it went downhill.

Correct. The first have is very solid, building up nicely... to nothing.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:47 pm Reply with quote
^
Well, I disagree that the first half was anything special, but each to their own. At least we both agree that the second half sucked.
phia_one

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:53 pm Reply with quote
From reading this thread, it seems like I made the right decision dropping Robotics;Notes while it was airing.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:58 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
^
Well, I disagree that the first half was anything special, but each to their own. At least we both agree that the second half sucked.

It wasn't anything special, but it was solid. There were no real problems with its narrative. It established the characters well, it began an interesting mystery, and gave subtle hints as to the truth.

And then there's the box... and the virus... and the mechas.... GODDAMN IT!!!!
normajean19

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Well, even after reading the comments I think I'll try marathoning Robotics;Notes over my spring break. If the first 16 episodes are good, it'll be worth it. I kind of want to watch Love, Election, and Chocolate as well, but I'm pretty sure its streaming on Hulu and the Anime Network sooooooo yeah it'll be a while before I get to that.

Last edited by normajean19 on Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cyclone1993

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Robotics;Notes was one of my favorite anime from last year, so I'm glad to see its Shelf-worthy!

I agree that the monopole plot went nowhere, the rest of the plot made logical sense to me. Even spoiler[the magical box, which was a reference to Chaos;Head. Which I hadn't seen at the time.)]

I enjoyed the series, and I might pick it up in the future!
AsherFischell

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:24 pm Reply with quote
normajean19 wrote:
Well, even after reading the comments I think I'll try marathoning Robotics;Notes over my spring break. If the first 16 episodes are good, it'll be worth it. I kind of want to watch Love, Election, and Chocolate as well, but I'm pretty sure its streaming on Hulu and the Anime Network sooooooo yeah it'll be a while before I get to that.

I'd like to point out that, to me at least, the first part of Robotics;Notes is more akin to slice-of-life than scifi. Now, I like slice-of-life, but my big problem with the SoL sections of R;N are that the characters are mostly one-dimensional and uninteresting. Truthfully, there are much better scifi shows you could be spending your time on. As the others have said, R;N simply isn't worth it in the end.
normajean19

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:30 pm Reply with quote
AsherFischell wrote:
normajean19 wrote:

I'd like to point out that, to me at least, the first part of Robotics;Notes is more akin to slice-of-life than scifi. Now, I like slice-of-life, but my big problem with the SoL sections of R;N are that the characters are mostly one-dimensional and uninteresting. Truthfully, there are much better scifi shows you could be spending your time on. As the others have said, R;N simply isn't worth it in the end.

Well, if it isn't worth it in the end, I'll probably not watch it. I just realized I haven't seen Steins;Gate... so I'm probably gonna end up marathoning that instead.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:37 pm Reply with quote
AsherFischell wrote:
As the others have said, R;N simply isn't worth it in the end.

Understatement. The ending flat out pissed me off. It was beyond stupid, and threw all logic out the window, and replaced it with Deus Ex Machina BS.
spoiler[ A single "heart attack" put him in the hospital, but now he can take three, of after another, with absolutely no problems. And how the hell did that box even WORK? Basically, they saved the world with the power of friendship, and a computer virus. And no, I don't care if you CAN slow down your perception of time, that still shouldn't allow a POS mecha built by students to out-maneuver a military mecha, built for fighting.]
AsherFischell

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:40 pm Reply with quote
normajean19 wrote:
AsherFischell wrote:
normajean19 wrote:

Well, if it isn't worth it in the end, I'll probably not watch it. I just realized I haven't seen Steins;Gate... so I'm probably gonna end up marathoning that instead.

That's a good choice. You won't regret watching that one. Make sure to watch the OVA and the movie too.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Yes, go watch S;G, go watch it NOW. And then the OVA, and the movie. But watch the series. And don't worry if you find the first episodes kind of boring. It's on purpose, so when the plot kicks in, it kicks you in the head and leaves you wanting for more.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2