• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Love;Stories

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jr240483

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:45 pm Reply with quote
AsherFischell wrote:
Really, Robotics;Notes is shelf worthy? This isn't as stupid as when she listed the Blood C movie as shelf worthy, but come on. It also doesn't help that KoiChoco and Jormungand are both much better series.

Actually it definitely deserves the shelf worthy. especially if your fans of Chaos Head. the same with the Blood C movie ( though i like the TV series more )

However you are right that KoiChoco is a better series, but definitely not jormungand. dont get me wrong, the first season is fine , but ugh its that atrocious ending in perfect order that ruined the series. if there is one series that deserves the perishable catagory, its that one.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Basroil

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:57 pm Reply with quote
Robotics;Notes was a show I wanted to watch while airing but for various reasons I let it slip by. I kinda still wanted to see it and Bamboo's review had me set to give it a go but now... the comments here have convinced me to drop all my considerations of seeing the show.

Still, it couldn't possibly have a worst ending than Gilgamesh.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:10 am Reply with quote
I'm ending up with the first half of Robotics;Notes because of a clerical error. 50 dollars or so? 20 dollars BD set is fine though I still waffled on it for a bit. Part 2, that's a question for later.

I thought the monopoles were in on the main premise's joke; "You want a real giant robot to work? Well, this is the kind of stuff you'd need, this is the stuff you can't do and this is the result." You may as well ask what dilithium crytals are and where they came from. {Err, "Star Trek" and "Star Trek"}

Love, Election & Chocolate, I liked the show more than I thought I would as it's a pretty fun club. Most series built around school clubs aren't as enjoyable as these guys. Now that I think about it, the idea of people who are happy to just gorge on sweets and only become politically active when those in power threaten to take those sweets away never occurred to me as political satire or an obvious America dig.

Oh well, back to snacking.

I gave up on Jormungand after two episodes. I already have Black Lagoon to my dismay, I didn't need a less character intensive version.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:41 am Reply with quote
I prefer Jormungand to Black Lagoon. Jormungand and least try to accomplish something with some grand goal in mind, Black Lagoon is more what kind of twisted dark antics can we get into this week. Black Lagoon to me is simply a dark version of A-Team. Jormungand actually has a story and simply ends up falling flat kind of like Darker than Black, but at least it tried. I also prefer the characters both in terms of design and overall in Jormungand to Black Lagoon. Rock is the only character I like in Black Lagoon, only other decent characters got killed off.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:14 am Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
I prefer Jormungand to Black Lagoon. Jormungand and least try to accomplish something with some grand goal in mind, Black Lagoon is more what kind of twisted dark antics can we get into this week. Black Lagoon to me is simply a dark version of A-Team. Jormungand actually has a story and simply ends up falling flat kind of like Darker than Black, but at least it tried. I also prefer the characters both in terms of design and overall in Jormungand to Black Lagoon. Rock is the only character I like in Black Lagoon, only other decent characters got killed off.

Most people don't have grand goals or grand stories. That is not a weakness, unless the viewer requires the sword be pulled from the stone, the ring thrown into the volcano, or the galaxy saved from vorpal space rabbits.
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:52 am Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:

that was one of the things that turned me off from the second barrage. especially during the Vampire Twins arc and the yakuza arc. at least it didn't end as bad as jormungand and its that alone that it should have gotten the perishable rating

its as i said, the ending for both blood - c and eureka 7 ao are a lot better than jormungand's ending.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:51 am Reply with quote
Basroil wrote:

I'm not going to say it was a stellar series, but the ending definitely surprised and has stuck with me for all these years. I've never looked at a piano tuner the same way.
albanian

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:06 am Reply with quote
Drew wrote:
Quote:
My most valuable pieces of my collection is Vol 1 of Kino no Tabi on the bookshelf since it was the only volume to make it west.

I'm glad I'm not the only one to lament the woeful lack of more Kino no Tabi books. The anime has been greatly underrated, and all but lost to memory far too quickly. I've been collecting anime and manga since the early 1980s, and KnT still ranks in my all-time top 10 favourite shows/movies. And as far as the books are concerned, I stopped holding my breath a long time ago - more's the pity.
EighteenSky

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:34 am Reply with quote
Good to see Robotics;Notes get shelf worthy, fully deserves it, joint best of that year for me. Agree that the club activities were a tad slow but that's my only criticism. Kept me hooked each week as it aired with nigh on perfect cliffhangers.

The second half was even better as it ramped up the intrigue and stakes. Hope to see that shelf worthy as well. Only question for me is to wait for the UK release or get the very nice looking Funi sets.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
I'm ending up with the first half of Robotics;Notes because of a clerical error. 50 dollars or so? 20 dollars BD set is fine though I still waffled on it for a bit. Part 2, that's a question for later.
Same here. 20 dollars is so inexpensive that I'm thinking that I won't care if it sucks (have it, but have yet to watch it).
Animegomaniac wrote:
I gave up on Jormungand after two episodes. I already have Black Lagoon to my dismay, I didn't need a less character intensive version.
A kindred spirit lol.
Basroil wrote:

Gilgamesh had a great ending, similar to the ending of Texhnolyze or the resolution of the Von Braun incident in Planetes. This thread shows that there are 3 people who saw Gilgamesh. That's 2 more than I expected Laughing
king 47

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:05 am Reply with quote
This is interesting. I watched R;N up to episode 18 and have been meaning to finish it, so I guess there seems to be no rush. I also have five episodes of Scrapped princess to finish and 12 of S;G to finish.

I guess R;N is better left as is.
Speaking of Jormungand, I dropped the second season half way, it was sooooo boring and bad I couldn't get myself to finish it. The sad part was that I really wanted to like it.
kevinx59

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:45 am Reply with quote
Jormungand rental shelf? Makes sense. still haven't checked out season 2 yet. Robotic;Notes was okay but the second part got pretty weird. It felt like it brought up a lot of plot points but then abandoned most of them for spoiler[ the mecha fight with the girl's sister. What exactly was SERN's involvement? And what was so important about the Gunvarrel anime? For that matter, what ever happened on the boat that caused the time speeding up/slowing down in Akiho and Kaito? ] At least Production IG made it look good. As for the Chocolate anime, it looks kinda interesting, but I don't really politics, so...
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:10 am Reply with quote
I will usually slog through just about anything I start, but Robotic;Notes was one of the handful of series I've ever rage-quit, at around 17 when the characters just got too stupid to bear. Even before then, the Club-centric episodes were slow going for me. And I think saying that Subaru's father "would rather" he not spend time on robots is a bit of an understatement. Smile

Btw, the boy in Jormungand is Jonah, no doubt a reference to his being swallowed by the leviathan of the title.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2