• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: The Encyclopedia of Contemporary Manga

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MLeo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Interresting, might help me learn Japanese.

Also, I think there's a typo.

Quote:
Chapter 1 (1945-1985) The Start of Post-War Manga - The Era of Akahon Manga and Monthly Issues

From the order the rest of the summary, it should be 1945-1958.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Gage

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Ohh shoot! Sorry, there was a mis-type when I sent the email. Sorry everyone!
Neuroretardant

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 5:19 pm Reply with quote
You could have just copy-pasted from the original article (not that I reviewed that article before submitting it: any now-fixed errors are thanks to Eclipse).

Also, I would not reccomend this book to anybody trying to learn Japanese: it's more for people interested in manga chronology, hard data, etc.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 7:15 pm Reply with quote
It would be a good book for ANN to pick up as well to check against it's own data. You know, to be the most complete and accurate encyclopedia as possible. And it might be easier to go through the book page by page than shift through all the user submissions and error reports.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
minakichan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 7:23 pm Reply with quote
I... I...

I WANT this. In English though. Drat.

Sounds great, definitely <s>better than Anime Encyclopedia</s> an excellent resource.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 10:16 pm Reply with quote
I'd like to get this as well. Too back that it is only in Japanese. But, we can hope that someone will pick up the North American license and translate it for us!
Gage

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 11:00 pm Reply with quote
Indeed this encyclopedia sounds good. But in my opinion, the "Manga" section of the ANN Encyclopedia and the mangas being talked about in The Encyclopedia of Contemporary Manga are somewhat the same in the fact that they both give information on the story and publishers/authors.

The only thing the upcoming encyclopedia may have over ANNs' is the history and chronology which is very interesting. The encyclopedia here is very good and had hard work put into it. The contemporary manga encyclopedia only deals with manga and not other things such as Anime, People, Releases, Companies, Events, and Lexicon.

So in my perspective, I would not say The Encyclopedia of Contemporary Manga is better than this Encyclopedia here. Only in the area of manga information I suppose.
konosuke15

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 11:50 pm Reply with quote
i hope someone translates this into english x.x
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 12:06 am Reply with quote
This is a book?! Worth picking up, definetly.
Gage

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 6:43 am Reply with quote
I'm sure there will be some sort of effort on translating the book or maybe even a review, hopefully!
The Xenos

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 3:34 pm Reply with quote
I too would love to see this in English. I think there is a market for it, so let's hope a company who can bring it over does too.
tripperdan99

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 4:57 pm Reply with quote
The Xenos wrote:
I too would love to see this in English. I think there is a market for it, so let's hope a company who can bring it over does too.

Hopefully the publisher would seriously consider other world markets as they form their business plan for this product. Especially considering that one of the chapters deals with just that in manga:

Chapter 4 (1981-2000) The Growth and Maturation of the Comic Market - The Era of Expansion and Globalisation

If they don't, it is certainly their lost.
CochraneO

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:24 am Reply with quote
The Xenos wrote:

The Japanese publisher is Shogakukan, right?

Shogakukan co-owns VIZ, right?

Even though an authoritative reference book is a bit different from the manga and art books VIZ has published in English thus far, I could certainly see them publish this in English eventually.

Even it's not VIZ, I think it's a fair bet that we'll see an English language edition of this before too long.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1