• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Buddy Complex Episodes 1-7 Streaming

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:16 am Reply with quote
I think it's watchable overall but nothing earth shattering. I do get some SEED vibes from this including one episode with spoiler[Hina and Aoba on an abandoned island after an incident (similar to Cagali and Athrun)]

I think this is split into 2 cour too so....I wonder if the finale will end on a big cliffhanger.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kougeru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:37 am Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
I think it's watchable overall but nothing earth shattering. I do get some SEED vibes from this including one episode with spoiler[Hina and Aoba on an abandoned island after an incident (similar to Cagali and Athrun)]

I think this is split into 2 cour too so....I wonder if the finale will end on a big cliffhanger.

We can only hope. It's listed as 12 episodes right now and there's no way they can come up with a good ending by then. I expect a S2 in Fall or Winter. Though, by Winter I'm sure most people wont even care anymore.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:41 am Reply with quote
I am in 100% agreement with Carl on this one. It's a series that I just barely hung onto after episode 2 because I wanted to see how Aoba and Hina came together from being enemies, and it's continued to provide just enough to keep me barely hanging on. The captain of the Swan is a total delight, especially with a recent revelation that spoiler[he's never lost a ship in combat]. I love how exact and carefully calculated his decisions always are despite the infuriatingly lackadaisical attitude he always projects.

And yeah, it's impossible for any seasoned anime fan to watch this one and not recognize at least some of the blatant Gundam rip-offs present.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
One-Eye

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:43 am Reply with quote
B- is about right maybe C+ for me. To be honest I can't wait for this season to end and I wont be watching the second half if there is one. It started out ok-ish and I was willing to give it a chance, but I've gotten more irritated as the show has progressed. It wouldn't be bad if the show was "dumb fun", but I'm finding very little fun in it and Aoba the MC is particularly annoying to me.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:59 am Reply with quote
This is a fitting review, the series is remarkably unremarkable, and I do giggle at all of the BL like references. And before reading I don't think I realised, that yeah I actually do like a number of the characters, very few of the main lot are annoying except for Dio being so angsty. And they set themselves up right with the whole Aoba and Hina thing.

Does not get me as interested in other recent mecha like Majestic prince or perhaps Valvrave, but has not done anything so horribly wrong that I would drop it regardless of my curiosity.
Merida

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:13 pm Reply with quote
I can agree with the rating, for entirely different reasons, though. This series is so full of bad clichés that it's almost good again...and then there's the whole coupling system of course which just screams "we want to make this show appealing to female viewers with...certain interests!" and hey, it works for me! Wink

So for me the Aoba/Hina love story(?), relationship(?), i don't even know what to call it since it feels so utterly..forced is the least interesting thing about this series. Aoba/Dio coupling buddies for the win! And the Captain is awesome, of course. Laughing
meiam

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Totally should have made it BL anime, at least it would have some claim to fame instead of this "yeah won't remember it in 6 month".

Plus it's called "buddy complex" c'mon how is that not the most BL title ever?!
RestLessone

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:29 pm Reply with quote
I've been pretty bored with this series. Granted, I haven't watched 7 yet, but it's been so cliche and formulaic. The whole point of the show was some strong friendship, yet the main "buddies" barely speak to one another. (Plus I find myself wanting to smack Aoba half the time.) I'm planning on doing mini-marathons rather than weekly viewings.

The most fun I have is with the coupling scenes, particularly the choices in English (proposing, accepting, etc.) that make me smirk like an idiot. I'm not watching for any BL references, as I really do enjoy watching deep friendships develop, but it sounds so silly. Imagining English VAs potentially dubbing it is even better.

I really want this to be more than it is. Maybe it'll improve. Hopefully, considering I've pledged to stick with it.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Merida wrote:
I can agree with the rating, for entirely different reasons, though. This series is so full of bad clichés that it's almost good again...and then there's the whole coupling system of course which just screams "we want to make this show appealing to female viewers with...certain interests!" and hey, it works for me! Wink

Something bugs me about that. Was this the staff's original intention when making this anime or was it unintentional? Because if this was an attempt to get peeps to play the Buddy Complex mobile game, well 1.) you scared off some of the male otaku into playing it, and 2.) the mobile game is not exactly a fujoshi fest since there are way more playable female pilots than what the anime showed.

It just seems this Buddy Complex IP, most notably the game itself, Sunrise is trying sell is giving off really mixed messages.
Yttrbio
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:57 pm Reply with quote
I'm sure its intentional. Sunrise trying to give something to everyone (and getting its messages mixed in the process) is perfectly consistent with their M.O.
giseki

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:59 pm Reply with quote
in regards to time travel crazies...nobody mentions the jewellery thing bit. you know... hina gives aoba a thing... aoba keeps thing so he can return it to hina... returns it to hina though she had no knowledge of it....

I suspect that hina goes back in time and gives aoba said thing and repeat infinite.

WHERE DID THING COME FROM!?!?
ShinnFlowen

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:20 pm Reply with quote
I wish others would see how this show does not only take Gundam Seed as the only source of reference, as Super Robot nudges appear.

*Traitorous doctor (with the exact same voice actor Takehito Koyasu)

Super Robo Wars OG Shu Shirakawa
Buddy Complex Wilhelm Hahn

Naturally talented/clueless/normal person becoming hero with similar hair/color

SRW OG Ryusei Date
Buddy Complex Watase Aoba

Cold rival who is an ace pilot of a wealth family. Happens to lose an important family member (blonde hair). He also has deep affection for a young girl....

Buddy Complex Dio
SRW OG Rai

Two units that are capable of some connection enhancing effect

BC Specific colored wings + Connection/T2 Rise
SWR OG Green wings appear + Twin Bird Strike mode

Time Travel

BC Watase/Hina
SRW .... it is a mess (souls, time jumping machines, etc)[/b][/b][/b][/b]

I look forward to see how this ends.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:19 pm Reply with quote
Somehow or another, I totally didn't know that this show happened.

Despite the less than stellar feedback on this show, I guess I'll check it out. I usually enjoy mecha, though I'm not expecting much...
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:50 pm Reply with quote
giseki wrote:
WHERE DID THING COME FROM!?!?

This is very common in time travel stories. Doctor Who used it a few times, like in the episode Blink where the info The Doctor needed to escape a perilous situation was given to him by someone who had gotten it from him who had gotten it from that person, and so on. Meaning the information was never created in the first place; it must have always existed in some sort of an infinite loop.

Best not to think too much about time travel story mechanics.
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:27 pm Reply with quote
The captain in this show really reminds me of Captain Gotoh from Patlabor in terms of mannerisms and how he manages his teams. He has that laid back nonchalant almost aloof attitude but really he's planning everything out in his head and has his ducks in a row before anybody even seems to. It's really nice to have a male ships captain again in a Sunrise mecha series cause it seems like lately it's been female pretty much all the time.

I mean there was Grodek in Gundam AGE, but he lasted all of one season and then we got his former first officer who was a woman and then Captain Moe for the last arc who was practically useless without someone constantly guiding her.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2