• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Buddy Complex Episodes 1-7 Streaming

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:52 pm Reply with quote
I can forgive this show for it's silly "Nice Couplings". I can forgive it for being essentially Gundam SEED again. But what I couldn't forgive was how it became totally episodic and meandering within a few episodes.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:42 am Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
I think it's watchable overall but nothing earth shattering. I do get some SEED vibes from this including one episode with spoiler[Hina and Aoba on an abandoned island after an incident (similar to Cagali and Athrun)]

I think this is split into 2 cour too so....I wonder if the finale will end on a big cliffhanger.

I mainly just hope they dont have those two like Banenger and Meinva from UC. Though i was kinda surprised that considering that its a sunrise product and the series have parts that are so similar to multiple gundam titles i was positive they would use the artwork for gundam seed and seed destiny since they did it for Farnfer.

either way its a series that have decent potential , but it will never outdo the gundam franchise.

ESPECIALLY WHEN IT HAVE A DUMBASS TITLE NAME THAT SUCKS SO FREAKING BADLY!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Key

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:24 am Reply with quote
Kaioshin_Sama wrote:
The captain in this show really reminds me of Captain Gotoh from Patlabor in terms of mannerisms and how he manages his teams. He has that laid back nonchalant almost aloof attitude but really he's planning everything out in his head and has his ducks in a row before anybody even seems to.

YES!

I have been trying to place all season who the captain of the Swan reminded me of; I had forgotten about Gotoh, somehow.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:31 am Reply with quote
It's not JUST Gundam.

You've got a fair number of throw backs to other Bandai/Sunrise and mecha IPs as well.

The pilot episode was Zegapain as all hell.
Aoba's pretty much Ryusei Daté from Super Robot Wars.
Captain Gengo is pretty much Gotoh from Patlabor.
The mechs seem much more like Dragonars then Gundams.
There is however a few Gundam throwbacks like to SEED with the island but in that case, it was the main character, not his rival.

Honestly, half the fun with this show is picking out what's supposed to be what, who's supposed to who and in general, the atmosphere. It's kind of like Majestic Prince from last year in that regard.
Instinctz

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:54 pm Reply with quote
i got to say, this anime got off to an awful start.

BUT.
it has gotten better as it has gone on.

it is by no means a great anime (its average at best) but it has gotten better, and the development of the relationship between aoba and hina is intriguing.
AliSama

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:19 pm Reply with quote
I am a bit confused.
Quote:
Saying that Buddy Complex takes its cues from Gundam is actually a gross understatement. The similarities between the two properties are a lot closer to wholesale plagiarism than anything as vague as "cues."

Does the author not realize the creator is Hajime Yatate the creator of gundam and many other sunrise properties? How can one plagiarize one own work and concepts? While i understand the lack of originality as it is recycling old ideas. He did create it in the first place.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:18 am Reply with quote
^
You do realise that Hajime Yatate is not - and never was - an actual person?
AliSama

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:21 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
^
You do realise that Hajime Yatate is not - and never was - an actual person?

what i get for not paying attention. lol. I get names always messed up.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2