• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Ranma ½ [2-in-1 Edition] GN 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DCR

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:42 am Reply with quote
Ah Ranma... There are few mangas that made me laugh that much.
Hilarous situations and hilarous characters (Happosai, Ryôga, Kunô...)

Also I liked that the MC was definitely not a very good guy: arrogant, sore loser, ready to cheat in order to win (to be fair, the Saotome School is basiacally an "all means are good as longs as you win at the end" school).

I just wish I discovered it first through the manga and not throught the heavily-censored, horribly-translated french dubbed anime.
RanmaHibiki

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:21 am Reply with quote
In terms of quality, the book is really good. It's much shorter than the first edition printings but slightly taller than the second edition printings. The art is a lot cleaner and looks less burned, with stronger line details and an easier to read font. Balloon text (like Akane screaming after she walks in on Ranma in he bath) is shaded dark now instead of looking like big empty outlines.

The paper is thick but has a smoother feel than the paper used in the previous editions, and the book is overall less stiff. It's a lot floppier and easier to read.

In terms of translation, I read the first couple of chapters side-by-side with my first edition printing of Volume 1, and there have been a lot of little changes. The one that jumped out at me the most was Akane using the word schmuck in Chapter 1.

First Printing: "What's so great about walking to China?"

2-in-1 Edition: "Whatever. Any schmuck can go to China."

I like the changes they've made. It makes a number of the character feel more distinct. I should be getting the Blu-ray of Set 1 in the mail on Tuesday, so I look forward to watching the special feature on the remastering of the manga.

Having said all that, there is a small issue with the 2-in-1 Edition: the dialog on the very first page was not oriented correctly for right-to-left reading. If you read it right-to-left, you're reading it backwards:

First printing: "Ranma? Coming here? Oh, how I've waited for this day!"

2-in-1 Edition: "Oh, how I've waited for this day! Ranma? Coming here?"

I contacted Viz on Facebook about it, and they told me it was an isolated issue and that it would be fixed when the 2-in-1 edition is re-printed.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:01 am Reply with quote
^ Actually that still makes sense either way. Razz Glad they're fixing it though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2