• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Impenetrable Markets

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Haterater wrote:

Do like the idea of dubbing Drama CDs. Cost might have to do with it not happening as much. Would have thought some bigger properties would made it easier like Final Fantasy X's, but didn't realize overall it wasn't a thing any more in the US.

As I mention on page 3, Japan doesn't really take advantage of making these dramas avaliable as MP3s/podcasts like western countries would do. I mean radio drama is probably making a comeback in the west thanks to MP3s/podcasts and good distribution. I think radio drama have already gotten popularity revival in the UK yet these radio dramas from Japan are not license over in the UK, and as you said the cost and including translation (which could also add to the cost) is the reason these radio dramas from Japan won't see big export outside in the future.

So it's not worth it, beside CDs in Japan is expensive, importing a drama CDs would be really expensive. So it's totally not worth it.

rinmackie wrote:
I'm sorry but since when did "no dub, no buy" become trolling?! It's simply a statement of preference that it no way hurts subs. Everything would be sub only, if us dub lovers stopped buying anime. I'm sorry but some us not only like dubs, but some of us don't have any other option because reading subtitles is physically impossible!

Oh wait, I forgot. Nobody cares! Rolling Eyes

Well, just ignore it. If I was you, I would just report it to the mod, I don't bother fighting back.

Last edited by mdo7 on Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Touma

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:29 pm Reply with quote
rinmackie wrote:
I'm sorry but since when did "no dub, no buy" become trolling?! It's simply a statement of preference that it no way hurts subs.

I originally thought that the "no dub no buy" remark referred to all dub fans. But now I believe that it is intended to refer only to people who go into threads for sub-only releases and essentially say "no dub no sale" repeatedly. It is trolling because they know that the release is sub only and they have no intention of ever buying it. Their only reason for bring in the thread is to make that rather inflammatory comment.

As a dub fan I do not mind if those trolls are insulted because I am n ot one of them.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
rinmackie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:06 pm Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
rinmackie wrote:
I'm sorry but since when did "no dub, no buy" become trolling?! It's simply a statement of preference that it no way hurts subs.

I originally thought that the "no dub no buy" remark referred to all dub fans. But now I believe that it is intended to refer only to people who go into threads for sub-only releases and essentially say "no dub no sale" repeatedly. It is trolling because they know that the release is sub only and they have no intention of ever buying it. Their only reason for bring in the thread is to make that rather inflammatory comment.

As a dub fan I do not mind if those trolls are insulted because I am n ot one of them.

Really? If so, that's odd. Usually, it's sub-lovers who go to threads about dubs and post "Dubs suck!"
st_owly

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:01 am Reply with quote
I think the reason drama CD's don't get translated is that if you're subtitling an anime series, you're still keeping the original audio and video, just adding subtitles. Whereas if you're re-recording a drama CD in another language, you're basically having to remake the entire product. You can't keep the Japanese audio and layer the English over the top. You need to translate the scripts, get the voice actors to record their lines, and then mix and master it all. You might as well just come up with a new script entirely from scratch.
Touma

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:05 am Reply with quote
rinmackie wrote:
Touma wrote:
I originally thought that the "no dub no buy" remark referred to all dub fans. But now I believe that it is intended to refer only to people who go into threads for sub-only releases and essentially say "no dub no sale" repeatedly.

Really? If so, that's odd. Usually, it's sub-lovers who go to threads about dubs and post "Dubs suck!"

It happens both ways.
In both cases the people who are doing the trolling are not representative of dub fans or sub fans as a whole.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Page 10 of 10