• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Impenetrable Markets

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Pleinair92 wrote:
I find it odd how in the answer regarding drama CDs, Justin never even brings up the possibility of dubs. Is that physically impossible, or just unprofitable? He only talks about subs or publishing translated scripts, which strike me as a rather roundabout ways of doing it.
At least one other person in the thread has suggested dubbing as well. But part if not most of the appeal of drama CDs lies in the performances of the Japanese VAs, so cutting them out is kind of counterproductive. Though I've long thought that NA companies should sell Drama CD versions of anime with just the dub VAs reading their lines, since the "no dub, no buy" crowd doesn't care about anything else.

I prefer dubs over subs. I like watching and listening to my anime, over having to watch it while reading sub-titles. Yeah, I gotten used to reading sub-titles, but that doesn't mean I think they are the cat's meow.

So while I do buy sub-titled only anime, I know not everyone is willing to do so. I fully understand the reasoning for it. Not everyone is comfortable reading sub-titles, so why spend hard-earned money on a product that is not going to make you happy, even if it is anime.

There also are a lot of people that just can't handle watching a show, while also having to read sub-titles. They just can't do it.

If you are not going to be able to enjoy something, why should you be forced to buy it.

If someone says, no dub, no sale; there is nothing wrong with that at all.
Parse Error

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:09 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
It depends on what you mean by "that camp".

Sorry for the ambiguity, I meant the second group, those who actually recite the phrase. The threads I take the most interest in attract so many trolls and soapboxers that those haven't yet gotten the chance to annoy me personally. Thank you for the explanation, I suspected that was the reason, but wasn't certain.

I still can't help but to empathize with them, for the reason I mentioned before and TarsTarkas just went into some more detail about. On the other hand, I also know all too well what it's like to try and squeeze in some actual discussion between people intent on repeatedly posting the same complaint, so I can understand where you're coming from.
Mikeski

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:10 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
If you are not going to be able to enjoy something, why should you be forced to buy it.

Neither Robert nor Shawne has appeared on my doorstep, DVDs in hand, to force me to buy them...
Quote:
If someone says, no dub, no sale; there is nothing wrong with that at all.

So if I am vegetarian, or lactose-intolerant, or whatever, I would be considered "an acceptable poster" for going to a foodie blog and dumping a "has meat, no sale"- or "has milk, no sale"-equivalent post in every thread about those things?

Or should I, perhaps, just not cook those things for myself, and keep my yap shut, so that people who can enjoy/digest them have a place to talk about their recipes, without all the useless background noise?

I think the second half of your sentence is exactly backwards; there is nothing right about that sort of behavior. Having the opinion is fine. Telling it to the folks that matter is fine (that would be "emailing the licensee" or, realistically, "watching the streams"). But pitching a fit in every physical-release thread here isn't going to change anything... I can fully guarantee that my reading that opinion over and over will not get anything dubbed (or blurayed, or aniplex-price-cut, or...) Heck, even complaining to an industry insider like Justin won't help. His word alone isn't going to get the licensee to drop another hundred grand per box set on a dub, either.

I realize this is the Internet, and the GIFT is a real effect, but jeez...
agila61

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Parse Error wrote:
I still can't help but to empathize with them, ...

I'll save my empathy for the dub fans who don't troll large numbers of sub-only announcement with "no dub, no sale". Its unfortunate if their first preference is not always economically justifiable, but reacting to that by being a nuisance in discussion forums accomplishes absolutely nothing constructive.

I do hope that they are buying the English dubbed motion comics like Karasuma Kyoko no Jikenbo since if whether it has a dub over-rides anything else, there's content with an English dub that they can support for a mere $3 video rental.
Banken

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Mister Ryan Andrews wrote:

Rolling Eyes That's funny, you're a funny guy, I like you. All this ethnocentrism some American fans display is absolutely hilarious to watch. Always fun to see a country that has zero stake in an foreign industry insist they're the only people who matter.

You misunderstand me... Not once did I say the industry should only make anime, an inherently domestic product, that appeals to foreigners. That's idiotic. Not including commissioned anime or cooperative productions. I'm only saying that as a general rule, the shows that only succeed in Japan usually aren't that good (not that they're necessarily bad, though), whereas the shows that succeed outside of Japan usually are. Because truly good shows/movies cross cultural borders.

For a show to be really good, it has to have more than genre appeal, cultural appeal, or timeliness. A truly good anime is timeless and transcends borders, of both genre and culture.

I live in Japan, fwiw, so I wouldn't say I have zero stake in the industry.
Pleinair92

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:01 pm Reply with quote
When Golion premiered in the 80s, it had its fanbase, but no one remembers it nowadays, simply because it was one "five people pilot a giant robot" show among many and never really stood out. Then, it was brought over to America, forming the first half of Voltron. Kids fell in love with it, as there was simply no other show of its kind. Even today, it is widely known and beloved even by Americans who know absolutely nothing about anime.

What I'm trying to say is that, sometimes, an average show can become a smash hit simply by being in the right place at the right time.
EyeOfPain

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:33 pm Reply with quote
Pleinair92 wrote:
I find it odd how in the answer regarding drama CDs, Justin never even brings up the possibility of dubs. Is that physically impossible, or just unprofitable? He only talks about subs or publishing translated scripts, which strike me as a rather roundabout ways of doing it.
I may have missed it, but I haven't seen much mention of Code Geass, which had it's first season's radio dramas (CD) and picture dramas (DVD/still image) translated and dubbed. I'm not sure if Bandai kept this up for the second season, since those releases were much less elaborate than the first.

Nonaka Machine Gun B wrote:
Is there anything explicitly stating Bebop, Trigun, and Redline were made for American audiences, or do they just happen to be what we fawn over: fetishized zany action with a little brooding?
This piece on Redline specifically states that Katsuhito Ishii took inspiration from "rural North Americans" and their love of cars.

Paiprince wrote:
Kendo is a relatively popular sport for those into anime overseas because it involves swords (bamboo or otherwise). Sure, it's not widely practiced but a lot of them enjoy the idea of seeing them hitting each other with sticks. Plus it's got cute girls and comedy. I can't say much the same about Bamboo Blade's own popularity, but shows like Rurouni Kenshin, Samurai Champloo and Afro Samurai have managed to carve out its own respectable fanbase because of the whole cool samurai theme.
I'm not sure why you're equating Bamboo Blade and shows like Kenshin, Champloo and Afro. The latter three are tales of revenge, atoning for past sins or people on a journey to find something, while BB is a sports comedy. It's like comparing a film like Hoosiers to one where the characters happen to play basketball in someone's driveway.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:25 pm Reply with quote
EyeOfPain wrote:
This piece on Redline specifically states that Katsuhito Ishii took inspiration from "rural North Americans" and their love of cars.

Yeah... um, "inspired by" doesn't mean "intended for". So the example you've provided doesn't really answer his request for something that explicitly states that any of those titles were made for American audiences.
Apashi

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:27 pm Reply with quote
I'd just like to chime in and say that I really wanted a Tegami Bachi dub too. Anime cry
Banken

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:34 pm Reply with quote
Pleinair92 wrote:
When Golion premiered in the 80s, it had its fanbase, but no one remembers it nowadays, simply because it was one "five people pilot a giant robot" show among many and never really stood out. Then, it was brought over to America, forming the first half of Voltron. Kids fell in love with it, as there was simply no other show of its kind. Even today, it is widely known and beloved even by Americans who know absolutely nothing about anime.

What I'm trying to say is that, sometimes, an average show can become a smash hit simply by being in the right place at the right time.

I see your point, and in some cases that's true, but I think in a lot of them the shows are so heavily edited and changed that it would be fair to call them different shows entirely. Speed Racer almost entirely ignored the original script, supposedly, because they didn't bother translating it. Robotech can fairly be called a different show because they've changed a lot of the story points, the music, and the tone.

Whether a kids show succeeds has a lot to do with with how popular the toys are, though. So it's not purely a matter of quality.
Mister Ryan Andrews

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:43 pm Reply with quote
Banken wrote:
I'm only saying that as a general rule, the shows that only succeed in Japan usually aren't that good (not that they're necessarily bad, though), whereas the shows that succeed outside of Japan usually are. Because truly good shows/movies cross cultural borders.

For a show to be really good, it has to have more than genre appeal, cultural appeal, or timeliness. A truly good anime is timeless and transcends borders, of both genre and culture

Main flaw with your theory is it relies on the audience not being close minded at best or xenophobic at worst. It's been mentioned only action shounen shows really do well in the US. That or toy shows like Beyblade. That means Doraemon isn't a good show, Detective Conan isn't a good show, Monster isn't a good show, Dennou Coil isn't a good show, Cardcaptor Sakura isn't a good show, Legend of the Galactic Heroes isn't a good show. Pretty much ANY sports anime. Let alone shows based around specific Japanese things like Chihayafuru which by this line of thinking shouldn't even be bothered to be made because the majority of Americans would never accept a show about a Japanese card game so it could never be fully accepted by the American public. It's folly to write off the absurd amount of anime out there just because it fails to catch on here or doesn't even bother to come out over here. Something failing doesn't make it 'bad', it also has to do with cultural norms and differences as well. The fact most people in this country view animation as a 'kids only' thing should instantly trigger warning flags on using what appeals to them as a benchmark of quality. I've never been one to subscribe to this 'appeal to the majority audience' mindset. That causes things to be homogenized and dull.
EyeOfPain

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:58 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
EyeOfPain wrote:

Yeah... um, "inspired by" doesn't mean "intended for". So the example you've provided doesn't really answer his request for something that explicitly states that any of those titles were made for American audiences.
Read the next paragraph, and you'll find the following quote: "I wanted to make an animated film that wouldn't necessarily be for urban Americans, who already know about anime, but would be attractive to those people in the countryside.”
kakoishii

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:27 am Reply with quote

http://oi59.tinypic.com/2dqsttu.jpg

Try to say with a straight face that year was better as a whole than 2013.

1996 was a better year than 2013, my face is totally straight. I should qualify my statement with an "at least it was for me," in case that isn't already clear (and it should be), but please understand that quantity does not equal quality. And while I must again qualify my statement with the subjective nature of quality and all that jazz, your post seems to imply that you believe quantity is a way to judge quality, and that's simply just not true. More stuff came out in 2013 than 1996 sure, but that doesn't mean that there was overall better stuff aired in 2013 than 1996, though your mileage may vary. But real talk, 1996 was a good year. Rurouni Kenshin, Escaflowne, Kodoma no Omocha, and Hana Yori Dango? All those shows were awesome and were more than one cour back when more than one cour was a legitimate thing. Those may have only been 4 awesome shows, but with their episode counts that would've been plenty enough to last me a whole year and be content.

Though, the multiple cours thing has me thinking about the reason why more anime comes out more now than it did then. Could it be because rather than making a small collection of shows that were anywhere from 2, 4 or more cours they now mainly make a smattering of 1 cour shows and thus have more room to release more shows?
Banken

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:57 am Reply with quote
It's been mentioned only action shounen shows really do well in the US. That or toy shows like Beyblade. That means Doraemon isn't a good show, Detective Conan isn't a good show, Monster isn't a good show, Dennou Coil isn't a good show, Cardcaptor Sakura isn't a good show, Legend of the Galactic Heroes isn't a good show. Pretty much ANY sports anime. Let alone shows based around specific Japanese things like Chihayafuru which by this line of thinking shouldn't even be bothered to be made because the majority of Americans would never accept a show about a Japanese card game so it could never be fully accepted by the American public. It's folly to write off the absurd amount of anime out there just because it fails to catch on here or doesn't even bother to come out over here. Something failing doesn't make it 'bad', it also has to do with cultural norms and differences as well. The fact most people in this country view animation as a 'kids only' thing should instantly trigger warning flags on using what appeals to them as a benchmark of quality. I've never been one to subscribe to this 'appeal to the majority audience' mindset. That causes things to be homogenized and dull.

Chihayafuru is a critical success, at least among international fandom, so that example doesn't count. I'm not talking about purely commercial success, but rather whether the non-Japanese fandom and critics consider the shows to be good.

Sports anime are always almost always only interesting either to people who do the sport (Overdrive and Yowamushi Pedal would be boring as crap if I wasn't a cyclist) or to fangirls (Prince of Tennis was interesting for the first 15 episodes or so before it went all DBZ on us). You know what is more interesting? Real sports.

Doraemon, CCS, and Detective Conan are kids shows, and success follows a different set of rules than for anime intended non-kid show anime, as critical success is not a factor.

Detective Conan is arguably a good kid's show, but outside of Japan it's not considered appropriate for the intended audience. So if you're comparing it to more general audience shows, it's not really that great. It's incredibly repetitive (murder of the week format) and the story makes almost zero progress despite having something like 700 episodes... but that's what happens when your whole plot is based on one gimmick. They should have just made it about a seven year-old genius who solves crimes. It's not really any less believable than a high-school boy solving them.

CCS was arguably a commercial success, albeit not the same extent as Sailor Moon (probably because Sailor Moon was easier to commercialize and more appealing?).

But I think the point can be argued that many times a show loses everything that's good about it when translated, edited, and dubbed, which is why English One Piece was such a disaster, yet the original maintains a massive international fanbase.

I haven't seen the others you mentioned so I will withhold comment...
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:17 am Reply with quote
kakoishii wrote:
Could it be because rather than making a small collection of shows that were anywhere from 2, 4 or more cours they now mainly make a smattering of 1 cour shows and thus have more room to release more shows?

No, it's because in Japan, it's really hard to cancel something. Thus, if you're contracted to do a 52 episode anime, and it baombs in ratings and pre-orders, you can't really stop. It's much safer to just make a 13 episode show. If it works out, you do another season. If it doesn't, you just stop.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10