• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 6 Up-And-Coming Female Voice Actors

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spark_

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Zerreth wrote:

On topic. I was really surprised with Risa Taneda's work. She has shown a surprising range from "From the New World," got a lead role in a KyoAni production AND she sings well (that is to say, it sounds like she's received more singing lessons than the average singer/voice actor). She's definitely a relatively new voice actress whose work and progress I want to follow.

I was surprised too. Risa Taneda was pretty much the first name that came to mind when I saw this list. She went from hardly doing anything to a KyoAni lead in about two years ish.
jojothepunisher

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:27 pm Reply with quote
Mikako Komatsu's photo looked really badass.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:07 pm Reply with quote
wow...some recognition for Mikako Komatsu for once! Thank you! Her singing is really fantastic too!

Quote:
She landed a major role in the Love Live! school idol anime as Umi. The anime series, merchandise, and related CDs have been a huge success in Japan.
This is a little misleading, because she technically had that role about a year and half before the anime ever aired. It was a multimedia franchise before it was ever an anime.

Good list overall, but as others have pointed out some have definitely been around long enough to not really be considered "up-and-coming", though Kanemoto seems to be rolling in the roles lately..which is great IMO because I love her. I'm honestly sick of hearing Kana Hanazawa lead/supporting role every other show.

Mikako Komatsu is just fanatstic in everythings she's been in recently..especially as Miuna. (best girl)
Meygaera

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:22 am Reply with quote
roxybudgy wrote:
Just wanted to comment...

Quote:
the regretfully unlicensed karuta anime Chihayafuru

It's licenced in Australia. I saw part 1 and 2 DVDs at Wai-con and the local DVD store. Sub, no dub.

http://www.sirenvisual.com.au/Product/470.php
http://www.jbhifionline.com.au/dvd/dvd-genres/anime/chihayafuru-part-1/686561

WELL GOOD FOR YOU, AUSTRALIA

/ragequit
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:49 am Reply with quote
I'd have to disagree with like all of those... Especially Komatsu. But to each their own.

My favorite newbies are Rena Maeda and Rumi Ookubo. They're great. One has elegant grace, while the other is so much spunk and real fun.
RoamFree

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:27 am Reply with quote
Aoi Yuki: Madoka Kaname (Madoka Magica), Iris (Pokémon: Best Wishes!) and Victorique de Blois (Gosick)

Haruka Tomatsu: Asuna (Sword Art Online), Hitoha Marui (Mitsudomoe) and Anaru (AnoHana)

Miyu Irino: Jintan (AnoHana), Astral and No.96 (Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal) and Akira Tsubaki (Mysterious Girlfriend X)

Yuki Kaji: Haruyuki Arita (Accel World) and Citron (Pokémon XY)

Todd Haberkorn: Firo Prochainezo (Baccano!) and Hikaru Hitachiin (OHSHC)

Greg Ayres: Koyuki (BECK: Mongolian Chop Squad) and Kaoru Hitachiin

Brina Palencia: Maho Minami (BECK: Mongolian Chop Squad), Ai Haibara (Case Closed films) and Ai Enma (Hell Girl)

Caitlin Glass: Miria Harvent (Baccano!) and Haruhi Fujioka (OHSHC)
Wrathful

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:23 am Reply with quote
I think I can concur with a few people that said Maaya Uchida being the up-And coming seiyuu. Ever since in her major role in Sankarea, I was pretty impressed with her versatility and range she has. And she has the voice that is quite distinct but still not so obvious that I like about. A lot of characters she played are pretty dynamic characters with great energy. So far she is a top notch voice actor I like more than veteran seiyuu out there. I hope she gets more roles after Noragami.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:13 am Reply with quote
I note this article appears to equate "unlicensed" with "licensed only for streaming".

Meygaera wrote:
roxybudgy wrote:
Just wanted to comment...

Quote:
the regretfully unlicensed karuta anime Chihayafuru

It's licenced in Australia. I saw part 1 and 2 DVDs at Wai-con and the local DVD store. Sub, no dub.

http://www.sirenvisual.com.au/Product/470.php
http://www.jbhifionline.com.au/dvd/dvd-genres/anime/chihayafuru-part-1/686561

WELL GOOD FOR YOU, AUSTRALIA

/ragequit

1. Import DVDs

2. Ignore DMCA in the privacy of your own home and remove copy and region protection.

3. Burn region-free DVD copy (or stream from NAS or local hard drive)

4. Enjoy the calm

If you really didn't want to break the DMCA, you could always install an additional DVD player in your desktop PC or attach an inexpensive external and set its region to 4.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:23 am Reply with quote
Being a total novice to subs (only started watching them around 2 years ago) I am wholly ignorant of a bout half the ladies on this list. That being said I have heard a few of the performances: Hisako Kanemoto as Amy, Izumi Kitta in Watamote, Mikako Komatsu as Miuna and of course Aya Suzaki as Mako Anime smile

All good performances even though I can't really critique on Japanese Acting like I can American acting.

I have a lot of favorite female american VA's but I'll just list a few for sake of reading lol.

Colleen Clinkenbeard: Erza Scarlet (Fairy Tail), Luffy (One Piece), Hana (Wolf Children), & Riza Hawkeye (FMA/FMAB)

Monical Rial: Mirajane Strauss (Fairy Tail), Michiko Malandro (Michiko & Hatchin), Bulma (DBZ Kai), Stocking (Panty & Stocking)

Cherami Leigh: Lucy Heartfilia/Lucy Ashley (Fairy Tail), Asuna (SAO), Meyrin (Dance in the Vampire Bund)

Michelle Ruff: Rukia (Bleach), Fujiko Mine (Lupin III: Fukijko Mine)

Laura Bailey: Kid Trunks, Maka (Soul Eater), Lust (FMA/FMAB), Rise (Persona 4)

As for up and comers its kind of hard to tell for me but I am beginning to get into Felecia Angelle (Mero in Sankarea), and Emily Neves (even though she's not all that new lol). Plus the new people that Tyler Walker manages to find for Fairy Tail sound good.
omiya

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:35 am Reply with quote
I missed the survey last week, but would have voted anison[g].

Mikako Komatsu did well at Animelo Summer Live 2012 and 2013, and Animax Musix 2013.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:35 am Reply with quote
Wrathful wrote:
I think I can concur with a few people that said Maaya Uchida being the up-And coming seiyuu. Ever since in her major role in Sankarea, I was pretty impressed with her versatility and range she has. And she has the voice that is quite distinct but still not so obvious that I like about. A lot of characters she played are pretty dynamic characters with great energy. So far she is a top notch voice actor I like more than veteran seiyuu out there. I hope she gets more roles after Noragami.

I'll have to check out some of her work. I looked over her Encyc page and realized I don't think I've watched anything she's been in or if I have, her character wasn't that memorable.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
immblueversion

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:07 am Reply with quote
Sango chan wrote:
but yeah, I love Mako's Character from Kill la Kill. Her voice actress does a really great job. lol and she shorta looks like a real life mako to boot. lol.

The funny thing is, Aya Suzaki got Mako's haircut by accident.
heavenwargod

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:27 pm Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:
I'll have to check out some of her work. I looked over her Encyc page and realized I don't think I've watched anything she's been in or if I have, her character wasn't that memorable.

Just check YouTube for cinematics from DRAG-ON-DRAGOON 3. She voices the protagonist, Zero. You can't even tell it's the same person voicing Rikka, Rea or the ditzy protagonist from Gatchaman CROWDS.

Back on topic, I find this a funny list (it's just my personal opinion since long enough and achieved enough are very subjective). Of course, it's nothing that bad as compared to people naming Yuuki Aoi and Tomatsu Haruka. Those two way overachieved since long ago to be considered up-and-coming for sure.

Besides Komatsu Mikako and Suzuki Aya (counting only their major debut role's year), the rest have been in the voice acting business for long enough to call them "in-demand" than "up-and-coming", especially when you consider that Milky Holmes, So・Ra・No・Wo・To, and Ika Musume came out 3~4 years ago. Of course, that is not to say I don't like them since Kanemoto is one of my favorite at the moment while Seto is undoubtedly "the second Hayami Saori". In short, I'm saying they are in the business long enough or have achieved too much to be considered "up-and-coming", at least in my opinion.

I'd rather these people be listed instead:
- Taneda Risa, who is such a big hit that people actually gossiped about her having relations with the sound director (2ch, mind you, so nothing needs to be taken seriously) since she took an incredible number of juicy roles (especially a lead heroine in a KyoAni work) in a relatively short amount of time. Very similar to what happened with Kayano Ai.

- Matsui Eriko, as she did a more-than-perfect job voicing Benio in Mikakunin. Pretty every of the newcomers in Mikakunin actually. Even Yoshida Yuuri (Mashiro), you asked? Yes, just listen to her voice samples and you'll have an idea.

- Kido Ibuki, who I had high praises for ever since hearing her voicing Himenokouji Akiko in Oniai. She hardly had any memorable roles since then until as Oka Chinami in Golden Time (partly due the fact that she was busy with her last year in middle school), and it seems she'll pick up many more major roles this year.

- Kakuma Ai (Genshiken Nidaime's Hato-chan, Ciel nosurge's main heroine, Ion) will be a hit for sure, mark my words. Her voice is simply honey to the ears.

- The entire Yuruyuri main cast, especially Ookubo Rumi. Not sure whether I should name them since they have been pretty prominent for nearly the last 2 years but well, yeah.

Still many else I want to name but these are the prominent ones. Sadly, the voice acting world is not all rainbows and butterflies. Can't count the number of voice actors/actresses who were seemingly full of potential with one great role and failed to make big splashes in anything ever since then.
boznia

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:36 pm Reply with quote
One new voice actress who I remember liking was Sarah Emi Bridcutt. I first noticed her as the class president in Red Data Girl, but the role that made an impression on me was as Hydra Belle in Blood Lad. I thought she was excellent in that role. I haven't watched a show with her in it since, but I hope her career continues to rise.
jr240483

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:59 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Where is Maaya Uchida?

I was wondering about that. kinda shocked she wasnt included in the list.

though i am more surprised you only have the japaneese VA and none of up and coming female VA from the english dub side to be included with their counterparts
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4