• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime with Strong Female Leads/Co-Leads?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga--
OK, what does it look like now?
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:13 pm Reply with quote
The ---- go off the screen, but only a tiny little bit. Otherwise it's fine.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:19 pm Reply with quote
^
I'll get to it sometime tomorrow..... Mad

EDIT: Please let me know how it looks now. Also, still working on errinundra's 1st posting (feeling ill right now, so am now taking a break.).
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:02 pm Reply with quote
No scroll bar at all anymore. Thanks, and sorry for putting you through so much trouble for something so minor.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:58 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
No scroll bar at all anymore. Thanks, and sorry for putting you through so much trouble for something so minor.

Seems like it isn't any trouble compared with what I've put them through.

Anyway, here's the next group of 16 strong female leads, bringing the total to 96. That's an impressive list. To complete the final 16 I'm doing two more nominations: the titular heroine from Arrietty and all the undines from the Aria franchise.

Top row (l-r)
Paradise Kiss, Yukari Hayasaka
The Vision of Escaflowne, Hitomi Kanzaki
Kanashimi no Belladonna, Jeanne
Chōyaku Hyakunin Isshu: Uta Koi, Murasaki Shikibu

2nd row (l-r)
Hellsing Ultimate, Sir Integra Fairbrook Wingates Hellsing
My-Otome, Arika Yumemiya
Darker than Black: Gemini of the Meteor, Suou Pavlichenko
A Certain Scientific Railgun, Mikoto Misaka

3rd row (l-r)
Scrapped Princess, Pacifica Casull
Gunbuster, Noriko Takaya
Gunbuster 2: Diebuster, Lal'C Melk Mark
Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha, Nanoha Takamachi

Bottom row (l-r)
Strain: Strategic Armored Infantry, Sara Werec
Ghost Hunt, Mai Taniyama
Arrietty, Arrietty
Aria the Animation, Akari Mizunashi

There will have to be 16 more nominations before I upload the next group. (I suppose I could do four at a time. It'd be nice to get an even 100.)

My plan now is to go back and provide a key for each image. Done.

Oh, and I'll endorse Fate/Zero even though it's a bloke-heavy show compared with Fate/Stary Night; The Vision of Escaflowne, Kanashimi no Belladonna though it's an excruciating watching experience and Integra Hellsing from Hellsing (another great woman in a mediocre franchise).

This is such a fantastic thread I'm going to be dining from it for quite a while to come. Not since the best first episode tournament have I had such a cornucopia laid out before me.

Last edited by Errinundra on Thu Nov 28, 2019 3:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:23 am Reply with quote
errinundra wrote:
This is such a fantastic thread I'm going to be dining from it for quite a while to come. Not since the best first episode tournament have I had such a cornucopia laid out before me.

People are always so negative about the portrayal of women in anime. While they aren't off base, I hope this thread proves that there's lots of good out there too.
Bright_Spear

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:24 pm Reply with quote
I know I'm probably going to get guff for this but I want to put in Asuna from Sword Art Online in. Even with people grumbling about what happened to her in the second season, she was just as strong and brave as Kirito, if not more.

Last edited by Bright_Spear on Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:22 pm Reply with quote
I'll second that. Asuna gets flack for being a damsel in distress during the latter half, but really even the toughest chicks in this topic couldn't do much if their minds were trapped in a computer the badguy had full control over. The heroine getting captured is only a problem if she is taken because some one lightly grabbed her arm or something. Asuna did her best to escape too and holding onto hope in that kind of situation is another kind of strength.

That said, I'd nominate Suguha as a better character.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Touma--
Were you including Burst Angel: Infinity (OAV) with Burst Angel?
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:45 pm Reply with quote
You know what? I'm going to add a few more I want to see.

Princess Mononoke: San and Lady Eboshi:

San is not your typical Ghibli heroine. She cares a lot about her wolf family and the forest, but at the same time, she has a lot of rage towards humans. She fights alongside her wolf brothers to defend her home, even at the cost of the loss of both humans and gods. She's very kind to those she loves, as she attempts to treat her mother's bullet wounds, trys to reason with Okkoto as he falls into despair, and cares for Ashitaka when he's injured by the residents of Iron Town. I found her very interesting to follow, so I'd like to see her here.

At the same time, Lady Eboshi isn't your typical villain, either. She has plenty of ambition and is willing to kill the Forest God but is also very kind towards the citizens of her town. The women who power the forge see her as a benevolent figure who rescued them from the brothels. In one powerful scene, a dying leper recalls how Eboshi took in people like himself, even when the rest of the world feared and hated them. I'd actually argue that Lady Eboshi is more of an anti-villain, only doing what she does for the sake of the townspeople.

Code Geass: Kallen Kozuki:

Admittedly, I haven't finished season one yet, but I found Kallen to be quite interesting. So far, she is forced to live the life of an ill girl at the Britannian Ashford Academy while also part of the terrorist Black Knights. Born from a relationship between a Britannian noble and an Eleven, Kallen's life hasn't been the best. Her mother is a drug addict who works as a servant for Kallen's stepmother, she has to watch other Elevens get stomped on and treated as second class citizens at best, and from what I've heard, things are only going to get worse from here on out. Still, Kallen fights in the hope that Area Eleven will become Japan once more. She's an important ally for Zero/Lelouch, and manages to one-up ace pilot Suzaku Kururugi as a bonus. Overall, I find Kallen to be a fascinating character, with a side dish of badass mother as a compliment.[/b]

Last edited by Akane the Catgirl on Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Touma

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:19 pm Reply with quote
nbahn wrote:
Touma--
Were you including Burst Angel: Infinity (OAV) with Burst Angel?

I had actually forgotten about the OVA, but if nobody else has done so I will submit it along with the show.
It is essentially a prequel episode of the series, and the two female lead characters are the same.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Sorry to be a pain, nbahn, but, if you're including multiple titles in franchises, then Galaxy Express 999 should have as subsets Maetel Legend and Space Symphony Maetel ~Ginga Tetsudō 999 Gaiden~. The first is a prequel but I have no idea how the second fits into the always variable Leijiverse. Maetel has quite the catalogue.

The OAV Queen Emeraldas probably should be listed under Galaxy Express 999 also. Emeraldas (Maetel's sister) is a pirate who commands her own spaceship. She appears in the main title to boot and, as well as her own series, is co-lead in Maetel Legend.

These aren't great shows but the Maetel and Emeraldas characters are classic strong women.

And I'll endorse Princess Mononoke. While San is, IMO, Miyazaki's dullest heroine she is undoubtedly strong. In any case, her shortcomings are more than made up for by Lady Eboshi.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:03 pm Reply with quote
Akane the Catgirl--
Please provide links!

errinundra--
I'll add the series, as requested, when I get to your latest post. (I'm going through the posts chronologically.)
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:28 am Reply with quote
^I'm a bit of a techbane, nbhan, sorry! It's a miracle I managed not to break my laptop at all! Laughing
Ghost_Wheel

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:10 am Reply with quote
^Just quote someone else's post and see how they do it. That's what I do for any kind of formatting if I'm feeling lazy.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 6 of 12