• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Sony Head-Mounted Device Allows Users to Step Inside an Anime

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brimfyre

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Imagine Mech games with this thing.

An Evangelion game, the sound of the LCL fluid surrounding you then the displays turns on showing you high above the city.

I get tingly just thinking about it.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:08 pm Reply with quote
VR, take 2. I knew it would return again someday. Laughing

Last edited by Mohawk52 on Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
CeaseActivity

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:09 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[the latest anime and hawking related swag]

Anyway this sounds awesome
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Brimfyre wrote:
Imagine Mech games with this thing.

An Evangelion game, the sound of the LCL fluid surrounding you then the displays turns on showing you high above the city.

I get tingly just thinking about it.
Imagine spoiler[being able to be inside of your dead mother and get copious amounts of psychological trauma.] But seriously, that's the first thing I thought of, too.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:23 pm Reply with quote
I don't get it. I keep throwing my money at the screen, but nothing is happening. Is anyone else also having this problem? Should I throw the whole wallet?
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:48 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't mind stepping into Idolm@ster if I could interact with Nina and Kozue, I just want to give them a big hug.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:56 pm Reply with quote
go away Oculus Rift. Sony ftw
Darkshader

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:25 pm Reply with quote
My dream is to ride a valkyrie and fight against the zentradi. While hikaru, fokker, max and the rest of the gang are fighting by my side.

Macross VR ... make it happen Sony.
Nemui_Nezumi

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:38 pm Reply with quote
what about titans? and all those big-ass trees

a virtual reality game of SnK would be sweet!

sure the 3D Maneuver Gear would make us completely sick after a while but gotta admit that would be awesome

c'mon Sony, I know you can make it happen, if you do you will finally win and I'll buy your so freaking pricey console even if it's only for that
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:43 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
I don't get it. I keep throwing my money at the screen, but nothing is happening. Is anyone else also having this problem? Should I throw the whole wallet?

Buy a shotgun slug shell, remove the slug and replace with a roll of money. Fire at the screen using the shotgun.

Very Happy
partially

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:40 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
go away Oculus Rift. Sony ftw

Hardly. The problem with the Sony HMD is that for the moment at least they are tying them solely to the PS4. Which means two things, it doesn't have as good future-proofing and it will be limited resolution wise. 1080p is simply not a good resolution for HMD devices, particularly VR. It is decent for a screen when you're sitting at some distance, but in a HMD the screen is literally an inch from your face. This makes pixelation much more apparent and is one of the biggest problems with the devices after latency. For the Rift these problems are much less an issue as it is not tying itself to hardware, and their dev kits are already 1080p with the consumer release set to be higher resolution.

The biggest limiting factor is of course cost, it will take that much more grunt to power a higher-resolution HMD. So if money is a problem then definitely the Sony HMD is the way to go.
TallonKarrde23

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Want to make it clear - this is not "stepping inside an anime". The article continually says how the IM@S anime (and more) is VR capable and this and that, however the images clearly show that the Morpheus was being used with the Idolmaster VIDEO GAME engine.

A video game with "anime styled art" is not "an anime" - it is a video game. The article and title are written in a very purposefully misleading way.

This is just another game with VR support - it has absolutely nothing to do with anime.

Please do not spread misinformation so openly on one of the only reputable English sites for anime relevant news.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Oh wow, this is something unexpected to see. I guess this will make anime experience more interesting. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Nonaka Machine Gun B

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:27 pm Reply with quote
TallonKarrde23 wrote:
Want to make it clear - this is not "stepping inside an anime". The article continually says how the IM@S anime (and more) is VR capable and this and that, however the images clearly show that the Morpheus was being used with the Idolmaster VIDEO GAME engine.

A video game with "anime styled art" is not "an anime" - it is a video game. The article and title are written in a very purposefully misleading way.

This is just another game with VR support - it has absolutely nothing to do with anime.

Please do not spread misinformation so openly on one of the only reputable English sites for anime relevant news.

This combined with your join date and post count is absolutely amazing. I'm completely sorry, but I'm just picturing a really angry weeaboo upset that he can't be with his 2D waifu.
jdnation

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:35 pm Reply with quote
Just FYI to people. This is a retrofitted HMZ, not the Morpheus device that Sony unveiled, but it's applicable.

partially wrote:
Hardly. The problem with the Sony HMD is that for the moment at least they are tying them solely to the PS4. Which means two things, it doesn't have as good future-proofing and it will be limited resolution wise. 1080p is simply not a good resolution for HMD devices, particularly VR. It is decent for a screen when you're sitting at some distance, but in a HMD the screen is literally an inch from your face. This makes pixelation much more apparent and is one of the biggest problems with the devices after latency. For the Rift these problems are much less an issue as it is not tying itself to hardware, and their dev kits are already 1080p with the consumer release set to be higher resolution.

The biggest limiting factor is of course cost, it will take that much more grunt to power a higher-resolution HMD. So if money is a problem then definitely the Sony HMD is the way to go.

Well the Morpheus kit could of course be forwards compatible with PS5 and so on, though no doubt there will be new improved variations as we go forward.

As for the PS4 issue, this would simply mean that games must be scaled to fit the requirements. We don't need hyper detailed worlds. Graphics of higher PS2- lower PS3 quality with good IQ would deliver as awesome experience on its own, especially if it's anime-styled. Lots of PS2 games still hold up exceptionally well thanks to good art direction.

This and the little indie experiences will be more than sufficient to offer a cool VR experience. So I'm fairly optimistic.

Would these graphics look so bad in HD in VR? I feel the sense of presence will more than compensate adequately.

Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2