• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Sony Head-Mounted Device Allows Users to Step Inside an Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Brimfyre wrote:
Imagine Mech games with this thing.

An Evangelion game, the sound of the LCL fluid surrounding you then the displays turns on showing you high above the city.

I get tingly just thinking about it.

Yes please.
This and the other examples, lots of potential.
Banjo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:55 pm Reply with quote
Nonaka Machine Gun B wrote:

This combined with your join date and post count is absolutely amazing. I'm completely sorry, but I'm just picturing a really angry weeaboo upset that he can't be with his 2D waifu.

there is only one place where allows you to be with them and that is heaven, which not many believes in specially Japanese... Cool
Pirate Man

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:21 pm Reply with quote
Brimfyre wrote:
Imagine Mech games with this thing.

An Evangelion game, the sound of the LCL fluid surrounding you then the displays turns on showing you high above the city.

I get tingly just thinking about it.

Occulus Rift already has this with HAWKEN the free virtual on type FPS so it will happen regardless, however I'm worried Sony is too late to the table and trying to externally put Occulus Rift with lawsuits indirectly business as usual I suppose.

Go to Steam and it's Free to play putting the Occu Rift with this is sooo immersive.

jdnation wrote:
Well the Morpheus kit could of course be forwards compatible with PS5 and so on, though no doubt there will be new improved variations as we go forward.

As for the PS4 issue, this would simply mean that games must be scaled to fit the requirements. We don't need hyper detailed worlds. Graphics of higher PS2- lower PS3 quality with good IQ would deliver as awesome experience on its own, especially if it's anime-styled. Lots of PS2 games still hold up exceptionally well thanks to good art direction.

This and the little indie experiences will be more than sufficient to offer a cool VR experience. So I'm fairly optimistic.

Would these graphics look so bad in HD in VR? I feel the sense of presence will more than compensate adequately.

This is exactly the same issue Microsoft is having with Kinect, they are trying to push it on a public that won't accept it. The Morpheous will probably be successful on the same level as Kinect being first release but the games would probably be so shit or be reduced to a level of glasses with OLED tvs attached on serving as an Output device similar to a TV.

When PS5 is released and bundle with the Morpheous that's when it'll probably take off if consoles last that long and if it's open source unlike the Rift.

ATM Occulus Rift has a massive head start and I think Sony being closed source would not be able to achieve the level of the Rift, without external help or outside talent the Morpheous will just be riddle with bugs and not working as intented similar to Kinect. I expect Kinect levels of failure from this product.

Though without outside examples and youtube videos promoting this product I'm gonna be very very very reserved.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:59 am Reply with quote
Murder, She wrote:

Sony's new HMD (head-mounted device) takes those who wear it into the world of anime. It tracks your head movements so it feels as if you're actually inside a cartoon.

Yeah, but models are 3DCG with anime wrapping............. which a lot of fans hate! Laughing

partially wrote:

For the Rift these problems are much less an issue as it is not tying itself to hardware, and their dev kits are already 1080p with the consumer release set to be higher resolution.

The biggest limiting factor is of course cost, it will take that much more grunt to power a higher-resolution HMD.

Though the recent $2 Billion Facebook purchase of Oculus is giving the VR community a lot of consternation. Albeit Facebook's money may be useful for R&D and keeping the consumer price manageable, Oculus is supposed to be an indie VR community gaming thing, not some big corporate like Facebook or Sony. That's why Oculus has grown to a lot of grassroot support. Hopefully, the couple years headstart of developers for Oculus would keep the momentum going.

Pirate Man wrote:

When PS5 is released and bundle with the Morpheous that's when it'll probably take off if consoles last that long and if it's open source unlike the Rift.

That's gonna be in, what, a decade from now? And VR itself is around $300 - add that to an already $400 console............... that'd be worse than people balking at the Kinect forced bundle.
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:33 am Reply with quote
Pirate Man wrote:

Because Sony is so well-known for open-sourcing its hardware?

Anyway, looking forward to more VR, and competition will probably drive faster innovation.
TallonKarrde23

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:44 am Reply with quote
Nonaka Machine Gun B wrote:
I'm just picturing a really angry weeaboo upset that he can't be with his 2D waifu.

This is already doable on the OR, so it's not that - I'm simply upset about them spreading blatant misinformation because I've had to see a billion threads about this in other places talking about how you can use VR in anime to control the viewpoint and such (as the article tries to pretend that is what was shown). It's annoying having to explain to people over and over again that this is simply ANN making things up to get hits - and it's working, sadly.

I am so, so, so sorry for not liking this site aside the news (which, clearly is no longer up to par if they are just making things up) and never using the forums due to, well, the userbase. If my post count was higher, surely I could be as cool as you and the factual point I made would matter. Embarassed
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
v1cious

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:46 am Reply with quote
No good can come of this.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:25 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
No good can come of this.

What you wouldn't want to go inside the world of resident evil by running, gunning and killing zombies???
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jdnation

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:59 am Reply with quote
Pirate Man wrote:
This is exactly the same issue Microsoft is having with Kinect, they are trying to push it on a public that won't accept it.

Well no actually, considering the Kinect is mandatory and included with the price of the console which is what makes the system expensive. Otherwise Kinect initially on 360 did very well. It sold well as a peripheral, but the Xbone isn't selling as well as PS4 (though still doing pretty neatly overall), this is due to other issues such as Microsoft's initial anti-consumer policies that it since reversed, alongside being inferior in terms of spec compared the the cheaper PS4.

But another surprising thing to take into account is that the PS4's camera is actually selling very well, primarily I suspect thanks to the streaming and sharing, something Kinect will also benefit from once Microsoft gets its act together, though probably more limited if they insist on locking such features behind LIVE fees. So the social aspect of the cameras are being seen as the selling point more so than software whih isn't available on either console well enough yet.

Pirate Man wrote:
The Morpheous will probably be successful on the same level as Kinect being first release but the games would probably be so shit or be reduced to a level of glasses with OLED tvs attached on serving as an Output device similar to a TV.

I believe Morpheus stands a better chance at gaining traction in a different way with the hardcore. I don't expect it to sell as well to the casuals (if you're expecting Wii levels of adoption), it will I believe find a significant and very profitable niche. For example, the Vita isn't lighting the world on fire sales-wise, but the Vita has an extraordinarily high attach rate for digital games, which is why indie support for it keeps coming. Similarly we can also compare PlayStation HOME. Nowhere near the success Sony was hoping for, but it's around to this day because it has a sizable amount of people who use it, and pay for a lot of cosmetic micro-transactions, which has been making Sony upwards of a million dollars annually in profit return on heap meager investment.

If Sony plays their cards right, then they can find a similar hardcore market for Morpheus with a base that spends money for such experiences, even smaller affairs that will more than justify long term profitability.

Pirate Man wrote:

Not necessarily. The same Morpheus can continue to sell steadily and be compatible with PS5, and the same enthusiast userbase will be willing adopters of PS5, so Sony can continue to sell both separately, keeping the entry price of PS5 down and even release updated models with better screen tech. Much in the same way they are positioning MOVE for a second life using PS4 and Morpheus, or likewise how Nintendo keeps Wii peripherals usable for WiiU.

Pirate Man wrote:
ATM Occulus Rift has a massive head start and I think Sony being closed source would not be able to achieve the level of the Rift, without external help or outside talent the Morpheous will just be riddle with bugs and not working as intented similar to Kinect. I expect Kinect levels of failure from this product.

Oculus doesn't have a consumer version out yet either, so there's no real head-start, considering this isn't Sony's first attempt at dabbling with VR. My guess is that they'll both release around the same time as each other. Oculus definitely benefits from being more open-source, but Sony benefits from already having a consumer brand and a cheaper entry level for the mass market than what Oculus prefers. So I think Sony is better positioned to offer a mass market device, whereas Oculus is better positioned to serve the high end PC audience. Undoubtedly the top level PC will offer the best experience, but given reaction to the first Oculus dev kits and demos I feel Sony will have more than adequate appeal to everyone else.

As for your prognostications about Morpheus being riddled with 'bugs', from what previews of the device have said is that it's more than comparable to Oculus' recent dev kit, even surpassing it with the exception of the image quality which is really just down to what screen they might choose to go with in the final which Sony can easily do. Plus no doubt outside help will come given that there will be crossover between the PC indie and PS4 indie scene, then Sony looks to be taking the initiative to get third party indie exclusive support (which I'd guess something like 'Everyone's gone to the Rapture' will support), plus their own first party like London Studio (which Media Molecule is likely working on) and their Indian ones (Move games like Sports Champions) which will very likely be looking to make more casual fare games, alongside the smaller teams in Japan (Rain, Puppeteer). Plus the Japanese scene will also likely target anime-styled games for PS4 and Morpheus, whereas the more hentai stuff will only be on PC and Oculus.

Kinect is problematic because it relies entirely on body tracking which isn't perfect. Move was a very good device that unfortunately didn't get adopted as much due to the fragmentation of the device requiring several pieces; unlike Kinect which is just one simple device you plug in and play. The DS4 also has a lightbar so there's already a built in solution. And tracking the lights via the camera with internal accelerometers and gyroscopes is far more accurate being based on motion capture, than algorithms predicting body movement in poor lighting conditions. Morpheus relies on the same kind of tech using both object light tracking and with built in accelerometers in the device with its own on-board chips being read by a 3-D HD camera capturing at 120 fps. So as expected, word from GDC about the device has been pretty positive.

All in all I'm optimistic, and I don't think it'll sell Wii numbers, but I believe it will gain good traction with the hardcore providing there's abundant software for it.
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:15 am Reply with quote
I think VR had a chance of taking off with a casual audience if people have a chance to try it (e.g. demo units in stores). I may be biased since I've been interested in VR long before I was able to try it, but to my thinking it's an amazing thing to experience and lends itself well to word-of-mouth promotion. There are also many non-gaming applications if someone manages to properly exploit the and sell people on them.

I'd guess a fair number of hackers will be working to get the Morpheus working on the PC once it's released. How long it takes will probably depend on how much effort Sony expends on making it difficult.
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:15 am Reply with quote
I think VR has a chance of taking off with a casual audience if people are able to try it (e.g. demo units in stores). I may be biased since I was interested in VR long before I was able to try it, but to my thinking it's an amazing thing to experience and lends itself well to word-of-mouth promotion. I admit it didn't go so well last time, but with major technical advantages and a much lower entry price I think it could work this time. There are also many non-gaming applications if someone manages to properly exploit them.

Regarding the Morpheus, I'd guess a fair number of hackers will be working to get it working on the PC once released. How long that takes will probably depend on how much effort Sony expends on making it difficult.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2