• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Fans Recreate Anime and Game Themes Using Skullgirls DLC

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Levitz9

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:27 am Reply with quote
ANN_Bamboo wrote:
Lavnovice9 wrote:
v1cious wrote:
The fans funded this DLC though, so it's not like they did it as a cash-in.

Begging people for money seems like a lot more of a cash in than a company using their own resources to make something then sell it.

Easier said than done. How do you expect people to make a living for the several months required to work on one character? Or pay voice actors? Or pay for distribution costs?

Bamboo's right. Lab Zero Games had a nice little chart explaining just how much money it costs to make a new character.

Spoilers: it takes $250,000.

Lab Zero Games wasn't in a position to make it happen "with their own resources"--they had no "company resources" to begin with.

Capcom selling Ultimate Marvel Vs. Capcom 3 as a separate game instead of as a DLC pack was a cash-in. Street Fighter X Tekken's jewels were a cash-in. Squigly, Big Band, and Eliza new content, story modes, and levels--and we're getting our money's worth. That's $828,768 worth, mind.
Guile

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:35 am Reply with quote
Levitz9 wrote:
Lab Zero Games wasn't in a position to make it happen "with their own resources"--they had no "company resources" to begin with.

One could argue there's a simple response to that: don't do it then. Continuing your game is is a privilege, not a right. I take their chart with a very hefty grain of salt though, as Lab Zero's a pretty questionable company and their actions since then have been kind of pathetic to be completely honest. They seem really desperate to push Skullgirls so it can nudge elbows with the big boy fighters like Guilty Gear, BlazBlue, and Street Fighter and will do so with any means necessary, but try to cover their tracks after the fact.
Levitz9

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:24 am Reply with quote
Guile wrote:

One could argue there's a simple response to that: don't do it then. Continuing your game is is a privilege, not a right. I take their chart with a very hefty grain of salt though, as Lab Zero's a pretty questionable company and their actions since then have been kind of pathetic to be completely honest. They seem really desperate to push Skullgirls so it can nudge elbows with the big boy fighters like Guilty Gear, BlazBlue, and Street Fighter and will do so with any means necessary, but try to cover their tracks after the fact.

LZG, questionable? How? Confused They've been very up-front about where their money is going, and they've been clear that nobody is getting rich off of this game--their making the minimum wage necessary to survive (which might be a little higher than the federal minimum wage Cool ). The only thing that comes to mind was the debacle with the character voting, which was only a controversy in the sense that fans of the characters that lost the elections felt like they were "ripped off"--even though LBZ was clear that not every character would win. So, yeah: fans being entitled. Nothing new under the Sun.

As for why they did it... dude, Alex Ahad had been tossing the idea for this game around since '06, at least. This is a passion-project for them. We may as well argue why people bothered with the Yatagarasu kickstarter or the Shantae: 1/2 Genie Hero kickstarter.
Seiru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:11 pm Reply with quote
That's actually pretty fun to watch/hear.My favorite rendition is the "U.N. Owen was her?" but the others are great too.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2