Forum - View topic
NEWS: Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn Gets Limited Edition PS4


Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
varmintx



Joined: 31 Jul 2006
Posts: 757
Location: Covington, KY

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:41 pm Reply with quote
It should be pointed out that the PS3 version already supports keyboard and mouse. However, the DS4's touchpad acting as a mouse is something new.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
Pirate Man



Joined: 26 Aug 2007
Posts: 5

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:27 pm Reply with quote
varmintx wrote:
It should be pointed out that the PS3 version already supports keyboard and mouse. However, the DS4's touchpad acting as a mouse is something new.


If they release a F2P demo for like 9 levels (access 1 dungeon and level up to 9 to experience the first part of the game) similar to WOW they would of gotten soo many players hooked on this game but because they didn't they missed out. (then they pay the game price, and then the subscription fee).

This is the only game I felt sorry for S-E they put so much work on it but didn't put so much in presenting it to their customers just their "internal fans" which is the wrong audience especially when WOw was at it's low time end and many people left.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jmfsilenthill
Space CowboySpace Cowboy


Joined: 31 Aug 2009
Posts: 1791
Location: Frig off, Ricky!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:42 pm Reply with quote
Dammit, literally JUST bought a PS4. Oh well, this will probably be JP exclusive and overpriced anyways.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Mister Ryan Andrews



Joined: 28 Jan 2014
Posts: 219

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:36 am Reply with quote
Pirate Man wrote:
If they release a F2P demo for like 9 levels (access 1 dungeon and level up to 9 to experience the first part of the game) similar to WOW they would of gotten soo many players hooked on this game but because they didn't they missed out. (then they pay the game price, and then the subscription fee).

This is the only game I felt sorry for S-E they put so much work on it but didn't put so much in presenting it to their customers just their "internal fans" which is the wrong audience especially when WOw was at it's low time end and many people left.


The first dungeon isn't until level 16, and you need to do the story to unlock it. Besides, they said they'd rather shut the game down than go free-to-play. XI has been sub-based all this time and still is. Given it's a Japanese game, it makes sense they'd use a Japanese model.

Also this game has been highly successful for Square-Enix and making them quite a bit of money, you don't need to 'feel sorry' for them. By internal fans I assume means Square/Final Fantasy/JRPG fans, but they're the ones that actually matter. They don't care about MMO hoppers looking for the next WoW Killer who leave after the first free month. Every other MMO under the sun is selling itself to be the next WoW killer and just look at how every single one of them ended up failing and going under.

Besides, WoW has no presence in Japan so it losing subs is a non-issue for them. That's what makes XIV so interesting. It was created in and exists in a market where WoW doesn't have an influence on the industry, and it shows in a lot of their game designs, like the focus on PvE/story rather than PvP and lack of any kind of split faction system that is pretty much MANDATORY for any MMO that comes out in the west, including the upcoming ESO and Wildstar. I put Realm Reborn in the same category as EVE. It'll never be the most popular MMO, but it caters to a playerbase who wants what it does and what it does it does extremely well so it satisfies them enough. And if it's one thing Japan knows how to do it's cater to niche audiences for a profit Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Juno016



Joined: 09 Jan 2012
Posts: 1375

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:01 am Reply with quote
I played FFXIVRR during the closed and open beta... It was only a short time, but it made a very, very positive impression. Yet, I just don't have the time to dedicate to an MMO, nor the money to pay constantly. It's a shame on my end, since I got really invested in the story right off the bat. Considering the only other official online game to entice me was Phantasy Star, I consider that a great feat. I just... I will have good memories... ;w;
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Spoofer



Joined: 03 Aug 2003
Posts: 188
Location: NY

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:05 am Reply with quote
Mister Ryan Andrews wrote:
it caters to a playerbase who wants what it does and what it does it does extremely well so it satisfies them enough. And if it's one thing Japan knows how to do it's cater to niche audiences for a profit Wink


Yes, exactly this. Well, exactly that, only after their entire initial dev team stopped just short of seppuku in response to the biggest MMO launch failure of all time, because Squeenix had no idea who they were catering to and weren't satisfying anyone and were making no profit whatsoever. So, there's that.

Credit for siphoning off the FFXI staff to completely reinvent XIV though, I guess.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Rahxephon91



Joined: 08 Jun 2003
Posts: 1755
Location: Park Forest IL.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:31 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Given it's a Japanese game, it makes sense they'd use a Japanese model.
You act like that is a uniquely Japanese model when Japan has many F2P MMO's like Phantasy Star 2.

Quote:
Also this game has been highly successful for Square-Enix and making them quite a bit of money, you don't need to 'feel sorry' for them.
Not yet really. Besides either way, the entire 14 fiasco has cost them tons of money. It's going to take more then just a year or so of steady income to make that back.

Quote:
By internal fans I assume means Square/Final Fantasy/JRPG fans, but they're the ones that actually matter. They don't care about MMO hoppers looking for the next WoW Killer who leave after the first free month. Every other MMO under the sun is selling itself to be the next WoW killer and just look at how every single one of them ended up failing and going under.
Or lets look at the MMO that didn't take any lessons from WoW and failed spectacularly.

I believe it was called Final Fantasy XIV.

Besides the ones that matter or MMO players and whoever gives them money. If they are Square, FF, jrpg fans makes no difference. Plenty of people who play MMOs like 11 and 14 are not regular jrpg players. It dosen't matter because Sqaure wants anyone and everyone to play the game.

And as for every MMO trying to be like WoW....well it's not like A Real Reborn isn't. No a focus on PvE dosen't mean it's not, because WoW's big "innovation" is user friendly PVE. Besides it's not like there hasn't been things like Guild Wars 2 that have tried to stray away from WoW. GW2 sure does a better job of not being WoW then FF14.


Quote:
Besides, WoW has no presence in Japan so it losing subs is a non-issue for them. That's what makes XIV so interesting. It was created in and exists in a market where WoW doesn't have an influence on the industry, and it shows in a lot of their game designs, like the focus on PvE/story rather than PvP and lack of any kind of split faction system that is pretty much MANDATORY for any MMO that comes out in the west, including the upcoming ESO and Wildstar.
Except it dosen't and this is completely wrong. By thier own admission, they failure of the original 14 was because they didn't pay attention to the other MMOS. A Real Reborn is cl

A Realm Reborn borrow's quite a lot from modern mmos. The quest system, the dailys, the entire random events, ect. A Realm Reborn is the way it is because of them following WoW's influence on the genre.

It clearly follows the modern MMO playbook written by Blizzard. Follows it and does nothing unique with it.

http://kotaku.com/​5963155/​new-​final-​fantasy-​xiv-​director-​talks-​about-​what-​went-​wrong-​with-​the-​original

I find this entire idea that Square dosen't want to expand beyond a small audience to be pretty laughable. This is a company who passes on bringing games that would sell to niche groups.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
enurtsol



Joined: 01 May 2007
Posts: 10975

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:13 am Reply with quote
Mister Ryan Andrews wrote:

They don't care about MMO hoppers looking for the next WoW Killer who leave after the first free month. Every other MMO under the sun is selling itself to be the next WoW killer and just look at how every single one of them ended up failing and going under.

Besides, WoW has no presence in Japan so it losing subs is a non-issue for them. That's what makes XIV so interesting. It was created in and exists in a market where WoW doesn't have an influence on the industry, and it shows in a lot of their game designs, like the focus on PvE/story rather than PvP


Japan relatively hasn't been that big on MMOs and definitely not PC MMOs, but at its peak about 5 years ago, ya could read in game magazines about hard-core gamers in Japan and Japanese game developers playing World of Warcraft as a social phenomenon. So there's definitely influence there, particularly in an area where Japan did not have as much experience as compared to the rest of the world.

But yeah, not likely there's a WoW killer - WoW has already ingrained itself into cultural awareness for much of the world. It's what people think of when they think MMORPG since it's the first big MMORPG for them - kinda like when much of the world thinks JRPG, they think Final Fantasy since that's their first big one.

And WoW has a lot of focus on PvE. That's why ya have all these big guilds - that's the only way ya gonna survive those events, with enough resources.


Mister Ryan Andrews wrote:

I put Realm Reborn in the same category as EVE. It'll never be the most popular MMO, but it caters to a playerbase who wants what it does and what it does it does extremely well so it satisfies them enough. And if it's one thing Japan knows how to do it's cater to niche audiences for a profit Wink


Final Fantasy sells in the millions. Methinks Squeenix has loftier goals.


Last edited by enurtsol on Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Rahxephon91



Joined: 08 Jun 2003
Posts: 1755
Location: Park Forest IL.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:19 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Final Fantasy sells in the millions.
Yeah FF is not some niche series and Sqaure sure dosen't want or can afford it to be.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
bs3311



Joined: 07 Nov 2011
Posts: 181
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:54 pm Reply with quote
As this is admitedly my first MMO, I'm impressed with it. Though sometimes you can feel a huge grind, its addicting enough to keep ya going. And the community on my server (Behemoth) is so far really nice give and take a few bad seeds.

Reason why I did not jump to WOW first was notably the community being a bit hardcore, and that I found the art to be atrocious. Not the graphics, just the artstyle. People call it unique, I call it garbage trying to copy Wind Waker while hammered in with western style facial and body morphs.

GW2 had to much fast paced combat with little lore to tickkle my fancy.

So FFXIV was the one I picked. Sure I can't roleplay ENTIRELY as Gut's which I always dreamed of doing. But maybe Elder Scrolls Online might be that diamond to make my wish a reality.

Rahxephon91 wrote:
Or lets look at the MMO that didn't take any lessons from WoW and failed spectacularly.

I believe it was called Final Fantasy XIV.


I'll get to this quote down the line.

Quote:
Besides the ones that matter or MMO players and whoever gives them money. If they are Square, FF, jrpg fans makes no difference. Plenty of people who play MMOs like 11 and 14 are not regular jrpg players. It dosen't matter because Sqaure wants anyone and everyone to play the game.


But majority of them are already aware of the final fantasy franchise or even JRPG's no? That is a huge difference compared to other MMO's that just throw a random plot and lore that is unfamiliar with most people. With FF, gamers already know what there getting with their money. A MMO with lore, nostalgia, and customization close to the FF roots. And that is just enough excuse for people to just try it unless your a F2Per. And Yoshida already said that majority of F2P games tend to flop overtime with how money is being put in just get enough people in the game specifically for investors needs, but with GW2 being the shinning exception.

Quote:
A Realm Reborn borrow's quite a lot from modern mmos. The quest system, the dailys, the entire random events, ect. A Realm Reborn is the way it is because of them following WoW's influence on the genre.

It clearly follows the modern MMO playbook written by Blizzard. Follows it and does nothing unique with it.


Now I'm pulling out the first quote.

The flaw of the original game was from not following the modern influence of MMO's like WOW or GW2 and instead were focusing on graphical achievments in designing the game.

They do the right things now with A Realm Reborn by following the general trend, yet to you it is a flaw for not bringing a twist on it? Yet other MMO's did, and look how they done.

FFXIV is the exception because it has the JRPG/FF fans on there side. Sure some may quit it, but there will still be an audience who will pay the subscription like myself for new content an updates on the game. Unless elder scroll fits my bill needs Anime hyper.

Quote:
I find this entire idea that Square dosen't want to expand beyond a small audience to be pretty laughable. This is a company who passes on bringing games that would sell to niche groups.


Same here, but Yoshida and his crew are dealing with a game that had commercial failure back in 2010. So with speculation along with little advertisement for A Realm Reborn other than for gaming websites. They assumed that around 200-400 thousand players would log on daily, which there subscription fees would be enough to keep the game afloat. Plus there group is dealing with small amounts of tools given to them by Square Enix to work on the game itself via servers. So it seemed logical that people would leave it alone due to fan backlash and critics on the orignal game. Yet thousands upon thousands of gamers have played it, over exceeding expectations.

No, "it was the only game out at the time" excuse. Its a subscritption based game, not F2P which is supposedly the #1 general marketing concept. It survived from the fanbase of the franchise. Which is more than enough advertisement for new players to join in like myself.

Just my two cents.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Mister Ryan Andrews



Joined: 28 Jan 2014
Posts: 219

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:
And as for every MMO trying to be like WoW....well it's not like A Real Reborn isn't. No a focus on PvE dosen't mean it's not, because WoW's big "innovation" is user friendly PVE. Besides it's not like there hasn't been things like Guild Wars 2 that have tried to stray away from WoW. GW2 sure does a better job of not being WoW then FF14.


I hesitate to call GW2 an MMO given it's set up and structure model. I'd place it more in the Diablo camp to be honest outside the living world updates, but Guild Wars still focuses on a WvWvW faction split and PVP aspect mostly. Then again, GTA Online gets called an MMO these days by sites so maybe the term has changed.

Quote:
Except it dosen't and this is completely wrong. By thier own admission, they failure of the original 14 was because they didn't pay attention to the other MMOS.


Other MMOs =\= WoW.

XIV failed because they tried to release XI 2.0 in the modern market and didn't really consider what MMOs have become since then. However most of what WoW did was done before it in games like EverQuest and Dark Age of Camelot. Yes, ARR has aspects of modern MMOs, but it's not 'being like WoW' like most MMOs try to do. There's a difference between taking in what the MMO genre is like these days and trying to copy the top dog. People need to stop thinking WoW invented MMOs and any game similar to it is copying it. Modern WoW isn't even anything like Vanilla anymore. You'd never see XIV's long ass attunement quest chains in modern WoW anymore. It's become too casualized for that

Quote:
I find this entire idea that Square dosen't want to expand beyond a small audience to be pretty laughable. This is a company who passes on bringing games that would sell to niche groups.


Square of America =\= Square of Japan so their abandonment of certain franchises in the west isn't an abandonment of niche, it's just the way the western game market is set up sadly which makes games like Dragon Quest and Bravely Default a gamble to American audiences

Second off it's not that they don't want more players I find foolish, it's the notion they need to 'capitalize on WoW losing subs' with some kind of marketing push or competition to siphon players from it, when they're not competing with WoW. Competing with WoW is an incredibly stupid idea and despite every other MMO failing to do it, people still insist on it because, WELL, ITS GOT TO WORK SOMETIME.

enurtsol wrote:
And WoW has a lot of focus on PvE. That's why ya have all these big guilds - that's the only way ya gonna survive those events, with enough resources.


It does have PVE content, and maybe I should say PVE content that isn't raiding like housing and stuff, but the whole game, and modern MMOs in general, are structured around a PVP mentality. Granted that started with DAOC and not WoW but WoW made it the standard. Two or three factions which only serve to split up the player base and divide the content in the game by half because you have to made quests exclusively for each faction. Rift at least had the smart idea of doing away with it by letting both factions group up, talk, and raid together after a few years, but it was build around the system initially so it's kinda stuck with it. But still even now, Wildstar is doing the two faction thing, Elder Scrolls Online is doing three. XIV only recently added PVP and it's basically a simple arena. No battlegrounds, nothing huge or elaborate. PVP is clearly an afterthought and not the focus of the game. Unlike in certain other games where ensuring the game launched with PVP took precedence over such things like guild banks or a dungeon finder.

enurtsol wrote:
Final Fantasy sells in the millions. Methinks Squeenix has loftier goals.


You can't hold an MMO to single-player sales. You can't even hold spin off FF games to main installment sales. Just because the main FF games sell millions doesn't mean people should think an MMO will, or should. When you have unrealistic goals and initial sales for an MMO you end up with situations like Bioware and The Old Republic.

Square didn't even think the Dragon Quest MMO would sell as much as much as the single player games which is why they had such low expectations for it. As for loftier goals, Square has said their most profitable FF ever is XI despite it's low sales and playerbase. FFXIV, DQX, and XI were made with the intent of capitalizing on a niche. They could have made a single player game and sold more, but they wanted the MMO niche. There's something to be said in subscription fees and expansion and a dedicated niche.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
enurtsol



Joined: 01 May 2007
Posts: 10975

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Mister Ryan Andrews wrote:

enurtsol wrote:
Final Fantasy sells in the millions. Methinks Squeenix has loftier goals.

You can't hold an MMO to single-player sales. You can't even hold spin off FF games to main installment sales. Just because the main FF games sell millions doesn't mean people should think an MMO will, or should. When you have unrealistic goals and initial sales for an MMO you end up with situations like Bioware and The Old Republic.


FF XIV itself already sold in the millions.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Rahxephon91



Joined: 08 Jun 2003
Posts: 1755
Location: Park Forest IL.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I hesitate to call GW2 an MMO given it's set up and structure model. I'd place it more in the Diablo camp to be honest outside the living world updates, but Guild Wars still focuses on a WvWvW faction split and PVP aspect mostly.
? GW2 is basically set-up the same way as A Real Reborn. Both of them are loaded zones and not an open world like WoW. If your not going to call GW2 an MMO then you can't call 14 since they basically have the same world structure.

GW2 does not just focus on PvP. It's entire "innovation" is how it does it's quests. The game is also chock full on pve content.

Maybe what we're noticing here is games like WoW and GW2 have actual options in your content unlike A Realm Reborn.

Quote:
Other MMOs =\= WoW.
Except for the fact that Yoshi P specifically mentions WoW and the fact that WoW is so big and influential on MMOs that it's hard to ignore. So no it is:

other MMOs=WoW.

Quote:
XIV failed because they tried to release XI 2.0 in the modern market and didn't really consider what MMOs have become since then.
You're trying to spin the reason so that you don't have to admit your comments about Wow and 14 don't make sense? Even though this basically says the same thing. It failed because they didn't release a modern MMO. WoW is almost the template for a modern mmo of this kind. So your point about it existing in this vacuum where WoW has no influence dosen't make sense.

Quote:
However most of what WoW did was done before it in games like EverQuest and Dark Age of Camelot.
You really want to downplay WoW for some reason, thats fine. No one said WoW is some great super original MMO. Did these games do these things before? Well sure Everquest set the mmo templates for dungeons and whatnot. But it's WoW that has executed that kind of MMO perfectly and shown people how to do it. Hopefully some day someone makes an MMO that breaks free of that way. GW2 tried and then there's EvE.

Quote:
Yes, ARR has aspects of modern MMOs, but it's not 'being like WoW' like most MMOs try to do. There's a difference between taking in what the MMO genre is like these days and trying to copy the top dog. People need to stop thinking WoW invented MMOs and any game similar to it is copying it. Modern WoW isn't even anything like Vanilla anymore. You'd never see XIV's long ass attunement quest chains in modern WoW anymore. It's become too casualized for that
People don't need to do anything. You wanted to push this idea that A Realm Reborn lives in some bubble where Wow dosen't influence it. Thats wrong. Is it a copy? No? Does it do it's own style? Sure, but lets not pretend it's some radical new game. No, it's just a modern post WoW MMO with FF stylings.

You seem focused on trivial things. Being like WoW means it has to have two factions. It's not like WoW because the quests to get into higher dungeons involves a long line of weapon and armor acquiring. That dosen't mean anything. Not when the basic gameplay structure is following the modern MMO rulebook written by WoW.

Quote:
Square of America =\= Square of Japan so their abandonment of certain franchises in the west isn't an abandonment of niche, it's just the way the western game market is set up sadly which makes games like Dragon Quest and Bravely Default a gamble to American audiences
Square of Japan has the say in what gets brought over. If they were so interested in catering to a niche they would have no problem bringing over games that can sell at least 100,000. They aren't a company focused on niches. Even in Japan those games are targeting bigger and various audiences.


Quote:
The flaw of the original game was from not following the modern influence of MMO's like WOW or GW2 and instead were focusing on graphical achievments in designing the game.

They do the right things now with A Realm Reborn by following the general trend, yet to you it is a flaw for not bringing a twist on it? Yet other MMO's did, and look how they done.

FFXIV is the exception because it has the JRPG/FF fans on there side. Sure some may quit it, but there will still be an audience who will pay the subscription like myself for new content an updates on the game. Unless elder scroll fits my bill needs
It's a flaw because the game is extremely boring. The game does nothing you haven't seen in other MMOS and then makes the sin of failing even to execute the content well. Quests in A Realm Reborn are so boring, so cookie cutter that it's almost pathetic. Even the story quests are un-imaginative.

The only good parts of the game are the boss battles and dungeons. The boss battles (like Titan) do require more then spam buttons. They require movement and actual knowing of your role. This happens pretty early in the game so yeah they are pretty fun. Too bad all this stuff is surrounded by trash.

Even the world is meh. Invisible walls and not being an actual open world suck no matter how pretty the game is.

And just because other games fail, that means games shouldn't try? And we should give a game a break when it's completely safe and brings nothing to the table?

I'm so happy they finnaly got thier MMO up to the modern standards of 2005. Thats good, but too bad we have MMOs trying to evolve that modern standard and do more with it. Or we have mmos trying to execute that standard in some way that it makes it seem fresh and appealing. 14 does not.

Oh it's pretty and it has FF stylings. That is it.
Quote:
But majority of them are already aware of the final fantasy franchise or even JRPG's no?
Who knows? Do you? Do you have some number out there that says the number of FF14 players are also players of jrpgs and FF games?

No you don't.

Just because you play FF games dosen't mean you actually play jrpgs.

Just because you play FF single player jrpgs means you'd play an FF MMO.

Just because you play MMOs means you'd play single player jrpgs.

Many people for different reasons play MMOs like 14. There is no one set group.

Quote:
That is a huge difference compared to other MMO's that just throw a random plot and lore that is unfamiliar with most people. With FF, gamers already know what there getting with their money.
WoW has a stupendous amount of built up lore. I wonder how many people actually care about that lore.

Both Star Wars MMOS had the Star Wars universe lore in them. Success can be argued for both.

Quote:
FFXIV is the exception because it has the JRPG/FF fans on there side.
Does it? So many people who play FF games did not play XI. Some may try 14, but just because you like single player jrpgs does not mean you're going to like and play an MMO. How many jrpg/FF fans have argued that these online games shouldn't even be numbered? The FF name is an advantage, but it has to battle for anytype of gamer just like any other MMO.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Lavnovice9



Joined: 23 Oct 2012
Posts: 275

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:18 pm Reply with quote
One advantage A Realm Reborn has is the Japanese market and Japanese players because they also released the game on the Playstation 3 and 4 which opens up the gates for Japanese players. They're a blast to play with! Very polite and friendly and straightforward. It's a different experience from playing with westerners in A Realm Reborn and other games. The Japanese really are a really nice group of people.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Rahxephon91



Joined: 08 Jun 2003
Posts: 1755
Location: Park Forest IL.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:40 pm Reply with quote
I feel pretty bad for anyone playing A Realm Reborn on the PS3. It's pretty god awful.

And yeah Japan is so great. Japanese people are so awesome. So much better then the west. Excuse me while I attempt to fetishize Japan some more.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group