• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ghost in the Shell Arise border:less project Short Films Streamed

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:26 pm Reply with quote
"Foreseeing 2027": Didn't really "get" it until halfway. Pretty good, overall, spoiler[and an ever-so-aching glimpse at what a live-action GITS and Motoko might look like…]

"memory": Never have liked the whole "show centering around the show-within-the-show that that show's actually about" tactic. Like Foreseeing 2027, it got much better at the halfway point once it delved into the gist of the film. Still, decent.

"Color": More conceptual than substantive, but given the film's point, it was successful. It expressed what it wanted to express and did well in its execution. Good.

"Shimamura Yuki wa Tanaka Kenji o Wasurenai": Probably my favorite, and yet, I didn't understand a word that was spoken. It was certainly the most interesting and I think I got decent feel for what was going on. No substitute for subs, which would've been nice (not that I was necessarily expecting them on a JP YouTube channel). Really good (maybe "great", depending on what a translation may reveal).

"Working High": A very well done montage/AMV. Fine editing, music, and scene selection that made me want to watch Arise more so than before, which was admittedly not too high on my "must watch" list. [Note to ANN: you may want to slap a "spoiler" disclaimer above the video, as it contains some scenes that are probably best kept as a surprise for those that haven't watched Arise, yet.]

Overall, I thought they were good and I hope that they appear stateside in the future (along with more, or at least given multilingual subs online). They were better made and acted than I was anticipating, which I guess was Motohiro's L.A. strengths shining through as creative producer.

On a personal note, I think I would have been hyped more for border:less and Arise had I.G not borrowed elements from the franchise so often and revisit it as much as they have (and the first movie was what really got me into anime and remains one of my favorites, too). I see PSYCHO-PASS being that studio's new GITS, for better or worse, with the incorporation of Motohiro as a full-time talent, but good for him. I'm interested to see what someone who has chiefly worked in live-action will bring to the table through the animation medium (beyond P-P, that is).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ian K

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:34 pm Reply with quote
"Foreseeing 2027"
This is basically just a music video set to scenery passing by, with mild alteration, but I really enjoyed it! It reminds me of Samuel Cockedy's time lapse photography of Tokyo.

"Color"
This is basically incomprehensible if you haven't read the description for it. Even if you have, if doesn't really offer anything.

"memory" & "Shimamura Yuki wa Tanaka Kenji o Wasurenai"
I won't bother watching these until someone subtitles them.

"Working High"
AKA "My first AMV". Randomly splicing together action clips with no context or sense of progression does not "create a sense of fun", it's boring and pointless.
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:27 am Reply with quote
Ian K wrote:
"Working High"
AKA "My first AMV". Randomly splicing together action clips with no context or sense of progression does not "create a sense of fun", it's boring and pointless.

There isn't a real need for that much "context" or "sense of progression" for the video, and it never struck me as one that needed it. It's basically a rapid-fire promotion video highlighting aspects of the show, nothing terribly different substance-wise from other professional ones for shows. If you are arguing that you were expecting more from it beyond just that, something akin to the others, I can see where you are coming from. It was a little odd to see it counted amongst the other short films, though I regarded it more as an extra fluff piece…
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ian K

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
There isn't a real need for that much "context" or "sense of progression" for the video, and it never struck me as one that needed it. It's basically a rapid-fire promotion video highlighting aspects of the show, nothing terribly different substance-wise from other professional ones for shows. If you are arguing that you were expecting more from it beyond just that, something akin to the others, I can see where you are coming from. It was a little odd to see it counted amongst the other short films, though I regarded it more as an extra fluff piece…

Yeah, I was judging it as a stand-alone work, since that's how it was presented. Even as a promo it isn't very good though, because it doesn't arrange the clips in any meaningful way. All it tells me about GitS ARISE is 1) It's cyberpunk, and 2) There's a lot of action. I can't even tell if it's GOOD action, because the haphazard editing destroys the flow and pacing that make action scenes exciting. (Although I'll admit it appears to be nicely animated)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1