• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
(The) irregular at magic high school (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:07 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
But you're not Tatsuya.

But I know Tatsuya. He probably wasn't seeing it as some friendly competition with judges and such. He'd see it as an actual battlefield where one only wins when the enemy is defeated.

Besides, had he allowed himself to be (or appear to be) defeated, then he'd be letting Miyuki down. And he can't have that.
jl07045

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:05 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I'm not basing my conclusions on any sort of normal human reactions, I'm basing it on what we've been told of Tatsuya's godlike awesomeness so far. And that tells me the rule is of no consequence or he would have made a different decision.

You see in team sports that many players continue to play after a blatant foul and only stop when the referee blows the whistle. It's not the player's job to tell the referee that a foul has been made against him, his job is to win.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:17 pm Reply with quote
You quote my basis for my conclusion and then use real life normal game play by normal people to counter it. Laughing I don't know how to answer that, so I won't.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:34 pm Reply with quote
jl07045 wrote:
You see in team sports that many players continue to play after a blatant foul and only stop when the referee blows the whistle. It's not the player's job to tell the referee that a foul has been made against him, his job is to win.

Unless it's soccer, in which case his job is to play up the pain as much as possible.
jl07045

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:00 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
You quote my basis for my conclusion and then use real life normal game play by normal people to counter it. Laughing I don't know how to answer that, so I won't.

Then I will continue. You don't need to praise the Tatsuya or conclude that rules don't matter to explain why he didn't stop. I don't see why this being a game of magic would necessarily influence a player's mindset (Tatsuya isn't so different from normal people when it comes to competitions, I think) since there are many sports where people can get very serious injuries.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:06 pm Reply with quote
Ok, since you insist on looking at Tatsuya like a normal person, if he were a normal person, he would probably have had fatal injuries, or at least injuries that prevented him from getting up and taking down his opponent. In which case, would the match have stopped with him lying half dead (or dead) on the field due to an obvious infraction of the rules or not?

I would say not, since he felt the need to risk outing himself as invulnerable and continue the game in order to win.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:20 pm Reply with quote
That spell boots up automatically (says so in the episode) so it's not like he chose to get back up.

And yeah, the match would probably have been stopped if he didn't heal. That's what happened when Morisaki and his team were injured.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:27 pm Reply with quote
The spell boots him right onto his feet?
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:26 pm Reply with quote
It booted mid fall, and I'd wager landing on one knee was a reflex on his part.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:26 pm Reply with quote
Episode 17.

OK. I would say Tatsuya and Miyuki get a room except they already have one. Can't they just get it over with already? At least the other characters are openly calling them bro-con and sis-con. They have even moved past the usual denials.

Anyway this tournament has a very arbitrary air to it. Someone can just bring a new magic power into the arena and use it to get an overwhelming advantage. Is this supposed to be a test of skills or just a test of who is better armed?

Tatsuya damn near made it through the episode without doing something awesome but I guess he did have to use spoiler[Mizuki's tip to find out who was compromising the CADs]. So let's count that as a half-awesome.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:51 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
Anyway this tournament has a very arbitrary air to it. Someone can just bring a new magic power into the arena and use it to get an overwhelming advantage. Is this supposed to be a test of skills or just a test of who is better armed?

I think this episode clearly showed that being better armed is no replacement for skill. Even when all the athletes were on equal terms spells wise, if they couldn't use it properly they didn't keep up.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:03 am Reply with quote
Protip: Don't piss off Tatsuya.

I think there are 2 or so left episodes for this arc. The latest episode was meh imo.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:52 am Reply with quote
Episode 17

I rather enjoyed seeing him spoiler[angry at the guy trying to sabotage his sister's CAD], don't even care if it fits into the old "Tatsuya is awesome". We also got highlights of random other people who were also apparently awesome.

And I went from kind of annoyed that spoiler[Miyuki's flying magic was unfair], to thinking that it was spoiler[unfair for the other schools to be able to use it]. Well I guess that it should have a spoiler[patent on it so pirating it is kind of wrong, while he has designer's rights].
Cam0

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:07 pm Reply with quote
I'm starting to believe that Miyuki really dreams of being ploughed by her brother...

So will Mizuki suffer some sort of negative side effects if she is without her glasses for a long time? And wouldn't it be a bad idea for Miyuki to spoiler[use the flying magic?] You'd think it would raise a lot of questions (it did) among the students, something I felt like Miyuki and Tatsuya were trying to avoid.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
So will Mizuki suffer some sort of negative side effects if she is without her glasses for a long time?

Imagine some one shining a flashlight directly into your eyes 24/7.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 21 of 33