• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
(The) irregular at magic high school (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:21 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Episode 17

I rather enjoyed seeing him spoiler[angry at the guy trying to sabotage his sister's CAD], don't even care if it fits into the old "Tatsuya is awesome". We also got highlights of random other people who were also apparently awesome.

And I went from kind of annoyed that spoiler[Miyuki's flying magic was unfair], to thinking that it was spoiler[unfair for the other schools to be able to use it]. Well I guess that it should have a spoiler[patent on it so pirating it is kind of wrong, while he has designer's rights].

First high has the unfair advantage in the Olympics, i mean Nine Schools Competition with all those advance magic and new magic sequences from the start.

This is similar to the swimming, people with Speedo had unfair advantage over people who don't wear a speedo. that's why LZR suits got banned.

Im Jump, the first guy who jump by extending his back and flattening out over the bar first had the advantage because of the superior technique that nobody used during the that Olympics.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:56 am Reply with quote
Got to be honest what Tatsuya did was hardly a "rampage". If he was beating up all the spoiler[members of the staff involved] that would be one thing but spoiler[throwing a guy on the ground who was clearly involved in tampering with everyone's equipment is hardly something I'd be afraid of the guy for.] Heck I'd actually be applauding him for it. But i guess someone just made up a demonizing rumor about the situation or something.

Btw the music in this series is good. Like REALLY good. Like so good that i can almost forget not really caring about the games anymore (almost!). It is nice to see Tatsuya show a little emotion finally but the constant bro-sis con stuff is getting really old. It doesn't really feel like I'm seeing any deeper aspects of their relationship even this far into the series. Just suck face already and get it over with.

Also we have aspoiler[ group of guys that are going to the lengths of killing a bunch of innocent people so First High doesn't win]...................okay? Confused
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:33 am Reply with quote
leatherhead333 wrote:
Also we have aspoiler[ group of guys that are going to the lengths of killing a bunch of innocent people so First High doesn't win]...................okay? Confused

Not sure, but were they mentioning that they might have trouble facing "investors" otherwise, that there are people above them.
Cam0

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:35 am Reply with quote
leatherhead333 wrote:
Got to be honest what Tatsuya did was hardly a "rampage".

I just think it was bit unexpected for Tatsuya to get so aggressive since he hasn't shown much emotion before. I'd have expected him to just give the dude a cold look and tell him he knows what he did. Coming from Tatsuya that would have been intimidating enough.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:27 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
leatherhead333 wrote:

Not sure, but were they mentioning that they might have trouble facing "investors" otherwise, that there are people above them.

Yeah, I have a problem with this scenarios as well. If you're in organized crime, there are certain things you DO NOT DO, because doing them would put the whole organization at risk. Also, there are situations you DO NOT GET INTO, because you're supposed to be the wise guys, not the suckers: this whole "guarantee 1st School loses the tourneyment" is one of those sucker bets that wise guys don't do. You take money from everyone at odds that ultimately benefit you, and you make money: the House always wins. But instead, they're tampering, and they've made foolish guarantees that are far from a sure thing. And now both the government and the military are starting to look at you: that's bad for business, and it doesn't make any sense.

But, whatever, I don't take this series seriously, so this sort of thing isn't a big deal to me. OTOH, the whole bro-con thing is getting increasingly creepy and emo-ish. Mr. Personality and Sister Do-me-now just seem... over the top. I'd be happier just skipping most of their interactions.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:58 pm Reply with quote
I'm not a gambling man, but don't you get more money when you bet on a team that's less likely to win? First High are the favourites so the gang guys bet against them and then worked to ensure that they lose. They went for a big pay day, but they done goofed.

The price of failure in the underground is high, and they're trying to save their own asses by any means necessary. Although 100 million US in losses doesn't sound like a lot. Maybe it's worth more in 2095.

Of course that's hardly the worst mistake they've made.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:24 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
I'm not a gambling man, but don't you get more money when you bet on a team that's less likely to win? First High are the favourites so the gang guys bet against them and then worked to ensure that they lose. They went for a big pay day, but they done goofed.

The price of failure in the underground is high, and they're trying to save their own asses by any means necessary. Although 100 million US in losses doesn't sound like a lot. Maybe it's worth more in 2095.

Of course that's hardly the worst mistake they've made.

You're right. You're not a gambling man, and neither are most organized crime groups. They set up gambling for people who *do* gamble, and then they profit off of it. They do this by setting odds that ultimately will favor them. It doesn't matter if some individuals win or some lose. What matters is that overall, they profit. That is how the House wins. You *do not* put all of your eggs into one basket, hoping to turn a big profit on a single roll of the dice. That's what suckers do: sometimes that pays off, but more often it doesn't.

What the Yakuza (or whatever) did here was stupid from the beginning, and having started down the course, every decision they've made since has only exacerbated a situation they should never have allowed themselves to get into from the beginning. Of course, *now* their decisions seem (to some) understandable, as they *now* are in a desperate situation. But a smart organization would never have found themselves there in the first place. And antagonizing governments and other powerful groups only makes things worse. If there really were any higher-ups than them, those higher-ups should have already taken these idiots out and done everything they could to cut their losses, because every decision these fools are making only increase the exposure of an organization that would prefer to remain in the shadows.

tl;dr: their actions don't make sense and they should never have allowed themselves to get behind the 8-ball. Simply setting favorable odds (for them) for each school would've probably given them a tidy profit, but instead they went for a homerun. That's just dumb.
danilo07

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:25 am Reply with quote
I am more puzzled by the fact that criminal organizations are apparently gambling on high school tournaments.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:22 am Reply with quote
The majority of those kids will go on to become valuable military assets, so it's not quite your typical high school tournament. It's a display of the country's might.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:46 pm Reply with quote
danilo07 wrote:
I am more puzzled by the fact that criminal organizations are apparently gambling on high school tournaments.

I'm not surprised that they're taking bets for the tournament. I *am* surprised that they're trying to manipulate the results, especially considering what Vaisaga just said about the importance of the players to the government.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:11 pm Reply with quote
No Head Dragon is a Chinese syndicate, not a Japanese one.
batou37

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:22 pm Reply with quote
I agree that the "villians" seem to stem from improbable situations and actions, but I suppose they could put a little legitimacy to the idea by revealing another layer behind them that is just using them for their own purposes. A corporate or other backer that gave some small time crooks the opportunity and means to make a big profit as long as they insured the results, basically using them as patsies. (sp?) Possibly the organization that Tatsuya was embedded into 1st high by the Major to try to learn more about. (At least that's what I've taken as the plot of the story, both that and guarding his sister who is the successor to their family or clan or whatever it is.)
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:00 pm Reply with quote
batou37 wrote:
I agree that the "villians" seem to stem from improbable situations and actions, but I suppose they could put a little legitimacy to the idea by revealing another layer behind them that is just using them for their own purposes. A corporate or other backer that gave some small time crooks the opportunity and means to make a big profit as long as they insured the results, basically using them as patsies. (sp?) Possibly the organization that Tatsuya was embedded into 1st high by the Major to try to learn more about. (At least that's what I've taken as the plot of the story, both that and guarding his sister who is the successor to their family or clan or whatever it is.)

Those people already revealed that there is another layer few eps ago. I forgot watch ep.

go watch the beginning of ep 17 again.

"A loss this huge, They won't let us die that easily."

This can only mean those guys are just small potato.
batou37

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Yeah I remember that part. I guess I didn't get across what I was thinking to well...not that there simply is a layer behind them, but delving deeper into what that layer is and connecting it back to the main protagonists and main plot in some way.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Well the arc is finally over. Too bad they cut out some of the funniest parts like spoiler[Tatsuya sucking at dancing, and Katsuto trolling the shit out of him.]

Yokohama starts next week and I suppose 8 episodes should be enough to cover it. It does have a lot more action in it and that takes up more page space then screentime.

I'll have to wait for the preview in a few days to know if they're going to entirely skip over the Summer Vaction chapter or not. While that was a bunch of short stories focusing on various characters, there are at least 2 major developments that happen in it that should be covered.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 22 of 33