• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
(The) irregular at magic high school (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:25 am Reply with quote
question, when does Suzaku Kururugi make an appearance?
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:07 am Reply with quote
Not until the 2nd arc. He's voiced by Kirito too.
jl07045

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:50 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Not until the 2nd arc. He's voiced by Kirito too.

I hate him already. Very Happy
Bango

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:08 am Reply with quote
Ep1&2

This is one of the first times I looked forward to a show because of the uniforms. The girl ones are so pretty and the guy ones are pretty badass. The world setting is kind of cool. I like the funky cars and stuff. When I first saw the poster for this I had it mixed up with Owari no Chronicle. So yay for new experiences.

Also that opening bit with the siblings just getting to school was awkward as heck. It made me remember the Blue Breaker intro (crap I'd love, FREAKIN' LOVE to see a show filmed like that).

As for the duel, I just assumed spoiler[Tatsuya won because he's a ninja mage hacker. He dashed behind the guy and counterspell hacked him]. No doubt we'll learn when they take 10 minutes next episode to explain it.

My 3rd thing before I give opinions proper is that there's a certain type of hair that I like. Well, there's several but one that's on topic- the girl that's with Honoka before the ep2 OP. Did they even say her name? LOL

Anyway, the show so far is okay-ish. Some people I trust have given it their blessing so I'll stick with it for longer than I normally would. While I like the world I'm not fond of the setting. I love magic schools a lot, even super science ones, but not so much when the structure feels so conveniently crafted to allow student conflict. It's like Freezing but swapping the nice tits and violence for more likeable characters. A fair trade, I guess, but I'd rather just have a better school.

Miyuki can get hit by a bus for all I care and I find myself interested in what Tatsuya will do but not interested in him at all. I'm also not a fan of the pacing. Too fast is too fast and too slow is too slow, but this show his a pretty unique space where it's going at the right speed (actually episodes feel like a lot happens in them) but when the ep is over I'm feeling like they wasted a bunch of time. It's like a lot of stuff is happening , and it might be important stuff, but it doesn't feel important. The show being 26eps only makes this worse. You use 26eps to tell a bigger story. It just took 2 eps to cover what another series would do in 1.

Oh, well. It gets a temporary white card anyway so I might as well just wait to see if it solidifies.

EDIT: Also, the only country in the entire world that retained itself is Japan? Really. The only one!? Whatever.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:15 am Reply with quote
Bango wrote:
My 3rd thing before I give opinions proper is that there's a certain type of hair that I like. Well, there's several but one that's on topic- the girl that's with Honoka before the ep2 OP. Did they even say her name? LOL

They didn't for whatever reason. It's Shizuku, she's one of my favourites.

It definitely is one of those titles where the secondary characters are much more interesting than the leads. Thankfully, unlike SAO, the supporting cast is given a lot to do.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:38 pm Reply with quote

spoiler[After giving it a few episodes I decided to drop this.
I had some expectations from this.
Things turned out differently.
His sister is pushy with her advances at times.
He seems to be made of stone.
The rest of the plot isn't appealing enough to keep watching.
But hey, that's just me..
You guys, enjoy ^^]
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Episode 3:

Well, that "check-up" with Miyuki definitely got my eyebrows twitching. Otherwise, the fight was short but made its point. I'm curious to see how weak/strong Erika is in this show though based on adaptation. However, the episode also felt a bit rushed imo.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:23 pm Reply with quote
I think the pacing was just fine, especially compared to Black Bullet episode 2. Scenes were actually connected to each other too. I am a bit surprised that the explanation of the battle didn't even last 5 minutes Laughing A-chan is so adorable when fawning over CADs.

The CAD adjustment scene just goes to show that while Miyuki might see Tatsuya a certain way, he has no such inclination towards her.

It took 3 episodes to cover the first novel, so at this rate it looks like they'll be going up to the 8th novel (which they've already shown scenes from).

Oh, and I hope you all enjoyed the fanservice, because that's pretty much it for this arc.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:19 pm Reply with quote
I stopped reading the manga after the first 5 minutes of this episode. I wonder if Tatsuya spoiler[is a cyborg or something alone those lines. I am pretty sure the sub said he was being self-repaired after Miyuki attacked him.]
KickNdaFace

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:10 pm Reply with quote
To me it looks as if Miyuki is a little to obsessive of Tatsuya. After that whole CAD adjustment scene she said she went to far with her prank but it didn't feel like a prank.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:59 pm Reply with quote
That was the short version of the explanation? Yeah, this is definitely not a show for me. I think I'll have to give up on "tough guy goes around beating up schoolchildren."
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:29 am Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
That was the short version of the explanation?

If you mean at the start, that was actually pretty much the entire explanation. My comment was a joke, hense the emoticon.
jl07045

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:17 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
I am a bit surprised that the explanation of the battle didn't even last 5 minutes Laughing

Aye, it was 4:58. Very Happy
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:41 pm Reply with quote
Episode 3

I guess I have some understanding of his strengths of weaknesses, and I do say that I kind of like him. He is tough but tries to keep a cool head, and shows people how big headed they are being without having to preach or really try to throw it at people. But what was with that mind scene?
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Wow……i’ve got to say i like how they are handling the discrimination angle here. It’s not completely cut and dry where everyone who is in a certain group is a dick. We have people who are just straight up haters, people who at first disliked the idea of Tatsuya being associated with them but recognize him for his skills and of course those who wish the labeling system would disappear altogether. It’s a much more realistic take on the issue than I’ve seen in a long time. Funny since I posted a huge rant on why Black Bullet was sloppily handling the issue. Humans do not all feel the same way about each other even if they are raised to think that way. I hope they expand on this even more because it’s the main catch for me right now.

Everything about this series so far has me hooked………….aside from of course the incestuous themes. I think this is pretty much the major turning off point for most people. Sadly it’s going to be a recurring issue in the series but as long as it never gets to the point of making me feel even more uncomfortable than this episode did I think i can overlook it. Everything else besides the overly complicated explanations at times is handled quite well. It’s a shame how one element can almost completely ruin ones experience on such things.

That aside it is a real shame they had to cut out Tatsuya’s inner narration too. Some have told me that it would make the show boring but i strongly disagree. When done right it can be a very pleasant feature. I can’t think of a better example than Kyon from Haruhi Suzumiya. He narrated most of each episode and the series was still entertaining (not to mention it’s pretty much reached cult popularity). It helps a to give the audience a better understanding on how the character sincerely feels about the events that occur around him and how he a processes everything. For someone as complicated as Tatsuya it would certainly be a big boost for his character. I can understand them needing to cut it for airtime reasons but I think even shounen audiences who mostly only want to see action could deal with it if it was correctly implanted into the series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 33