• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Black Bullet (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:26 pm Reply with quote
The time the conversation came up was still stupid. It's just like the whole deal with Rentaro and the old man who saved him. We have no idea how Rentaro figured out the stuff he is spewing at the guy nor do we care who he is (not to mention he was completely dropped from the story).

Here this spoiler[guy who was never properly built up for us to even care about comes after the fight. Kisara spews all this knowledge about his actions that we didn't even know about and we are suddenly expected to care.] That ain't going to fly I'm afraid.

Episode 13 and overall thoughts:

Decent enough ending I suppose though it was still VERY much rushed I've certainly seen worse this season. The final fight didn't quite have the punch (no pun intended) that I thought it was going to have. spoiler[Shouma's sacrifice was noble but..........eh...........who was he again?] Oh yeah that right. It's that guy who never went through any character development/screentime that I don't care about. Cool.

They managed to loosely tie in all the deaths near the end so they had SOME value i suppose but it was stupid how they brought it up. Rentaro has spoiler[always been emotionally effected by death. It was totally out of character for him to say "Dang those people who got killed are going to make us late!!" just so we could see him cry about not being effected by death when that notion hasn't been shown AT ALL during the series.]

And of course there is the whole Kisara thing. Springing on us that spoiler[she'll likely be a villain now is pretty stupid but I actually don't mind it to much. All the other villians have been so hilariously over the top that i can never take them seriously. Her development into a psycho should have been executed better but it makes a little more sense to me for why one of the good guys would turn bad.] Rentaro surprisingly hasn't changed all that much despite the fact he has more of a reason to end up dishing out justice on humans in a harsh fashion than her but I guess he's just that mindlessly driven type.

My expectations were rather high for this one. Needless to say I'm very disappointed. The way the story paints all of humanity is frankly forced and the anime never changed my standing on that. Speaking of that WHERE was that crowd of people cheering for better treatment of the CC during the ENTIRE series? Did they just take a rain check or what?

That's the kind of manipulative writing that just doesn't sit well with me. It's like the show is trying to be needlessly edgy or something by saying HEY GUYS LOOK! "WE'VE GOT CUTE LOLIS
THAT GET MURDERED! It tries WAY to much to mix the cutesy loli moments only to have a tragic moment where they die or get abused soon after happen. The tone shift just doesn't work and it comes off as pandering to the loli lovers while trying to tell a dark story which gets a meh response from me.

I was initially drawn to the show because i love end of the world situations played out in anime but i was left pretty disappointed. Granted that had a lot to do with the pacing issues which reared it's ugly head the majority of the show (that first arc man was probably the worst). I can see why they tried to end it where they did but given how the plot suffered a bit because it was sporadically inconsistent that worked against the series. I can at least say it was entertaining most of the time in a dumb way but that's pretty much all the good I can say about it (Tina was cool if they didn't have to use tasteless pedo jokes on all the kids).
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:03 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Kruszer wrote:
At least it seems like they found out spoiler[that the big powerful bugs are the brains and if they kill them first the smaller minions are dumb and easy to kill off with nothing directing them.] Though, that should have been obvious if any of them had ever read a science fiction novel.

They had figured out the big one was controlling the others with pheromones earlier.

I know, I was just pointing it out as spoiler[some minor progress in solving the largely unsolved Gastrea issue I mentioned earlier that the series leaves open.]
Ohoni

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:00 am Reply with quote
Yeah. I enjoyed this series well enough, but it fell to the bottom of my watchlist for the season. The art was lovely, the action solid enough, the limited humor worked when it happened, but there was way way too much loli violence, and the gore was more gratuitous than necessary. It was "mature" in an immature manner, rather than mature in a mature manner, or even immature in a mature manner (like the Kill La Kill that seems to have taken over the site).
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:36 am Reply with quote
Episode 13 (final)

Finish him!! spoiler[Kisara got to show off her fatality, it was brutal, she was able to soldier on when they lost the students but her old scars were too deep.] I really found the ending to be really sweet, you know as sweet as a spoiler[Big Daddy asking for his Little Sister to keep him feeling can be]. With Rentaro spoiler[losing so many people close together and the whole situation over it started to blend together and was losing his sympathy over it]. It was fear that had pushed the anti Cursed Children acts before, spoiler[but it was here in fear that Seitenshi was able to harness it into hope and faith, approximately half lost were Cursed Children, and the people seemed to know].

Overall I thought the series was Very good, so that is my rating. It could be very harsh, and unlike the jaded people who say that there was not enough set up to care, I found that certain scene to be very powerful. I am not the type that normally likes bleak hyper-violence, Psycho-pass was barely watchable from what happened, but I found that this series managed to hit a good balance. I think Rentaro and Enju were incredibly good partners, they are certainly a pair that I grew fond of, especially when it was trying to get with him. Anju friendship with other characters was also a super strong component, Enju and Tina together was super cute.

Some of you guys can be as hateful as you want, I found Black Bullet to be a very enjoyable ride.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:24 pm Reply with quote
meh, too much happening, not nearly enough time spent on what's happening. I'm not sure I like this bundle of crazy that happens to be named Kisara. Run Rentaro, run as fast as you can dude.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:11 pm Reply with quote
It fell short in a lot of areas but made up for it in the cute lolis. And I suppose Rentaro was as good a loli-meister as any.

Best line: Don't spoiler[knock me unconscious with no warning!] (Oath term.)
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:21 pm Reply with quote
I give this show a Decent rating. My biggest beef with it was what I viewed as overly manipulative loli-harshing. Yes, you will automatically get me to feel bad if you hurt/kill/persecute cute young girls - so what's the point?

Anyway, seems like there is plenty of scope for another cours or two and I'd definitely watch.
Crusher X303

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:23 pm Reply with quote
I really enjoyed this show... even though I think the stuff with Kisara was a bit sudden and not really needed for the ending. They just didn't explore all that junk with her enough for it to have much impact and it seems just to be squeezed in to have a hook for another batch of episodes.

Even though I liked Kisara as a character spoiler[ I am actually not bothered by her becoming a villain. With her sword style and personality I think she would be a cool adversary for Rentaro.]

Honestly though... I just want more Enju and Tina.
Polycell

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:25 pm Reply with quote
I'm torn on how to rate this one. On the one hand, I liked the story and imagine I might just love the original novels, on the other hand it had so many issues with the pacing, lack of development, etc. So much of it felt like it needed room to breathe to work that it wasn't given. I ultimately went with a six, though it feels about as wrong as almost any other rating.

I also have a few questions left over from the first arc that seem to have been completely ignored: What's with the tricycle and what about Enju's corrosion rate? I'm willing to let them slide since the arc had a feel of a one-off novel that happened to get sequels greentlit, but the latter really needs some discussion.
Volibear

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:52 pm Reply with quote
This one was interesting. Initially it felt very copy/paste LN action/romance/comedy, but once it opened out after the 1st couple episodes it felt like it stood well on it's own 2 feet.

Although the very end 10mins or so seemed a little out of place, seemed more like the beginning to a second season than the end of one. It seemed to open up alot more story elements just as it ended, which really felt odd.

Had a rollercoaster of emotions as well. Plenty of fun moments and happy moments, plenty or action and seriousness, then some really sad moments.

I dunno. I kinda want to give it like a 9/10 but for a action/rom/com LN adaptation that kinda just feels so.......dirty. But I guess there is always outliers.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:01 am Reply with quote
I am currently at third episode and I for now this show is a disaster in many key aspects:

1) cliché setting, without the nonsensical premise that DNA-mutated girls all of sudden being stronger that original pure monsters, and with their "masters" who are all of sudden being capable of performing battle magic;

2) cliché story, a repetition of many previous works;

3) cliché characters, with main guy hero being annoyingly "passionate" with hitting tables with the fist, and spilled the drinks -- everything is so artificial and cardboard that you can not really believe in it. Every time main hero explodes with his "passion" the only reaction I have is "Come on! Stop with this overacting, you are trying too hard.";

4) more importantly, there is this horrible fake discrimination towards mutated DNA girls, which is, supposedly, allegory for racism, slavery and such, but made in way that is not believable at all;

5) really poor and embarrassing first episode where characters state obvious (for themselves) things only to enlighten viewers about what has happened and how things work.

I wish ANN encyclopaedia would have ways to indicate for viewers how much original certain anime is. This one is almost unbearable with how much cardboard and fake it is.

Last edited by MaxSouth on Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:27 am; edited 3 times in total
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:16 am Reply with quote
yay, max is here to summarize the entire thread for us! such a nice guy
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:32 am Reply with quote
My resume (I updated it now) was only up to third episode. Though for now I am mostly embarrassed for this anime's authors, maybe in later episodes something smart will happen, and it would explain how this show got "Very good" rating.

Fourth episode: while in some ways things got to be more interesting:

1) there was nonsensical failure of automatic aiming (facepalm) in a giant cannon -- obviously only written by authors for:

2) another piece of fake drama with main hero who all of sudden being in panic attack because he was afraid to miss the giant slow moving target (facepalm);

3) giant bullets not being loaded was also artificial reason to make show more "dramatic" and make main hero using his artificial hand as a projectile;

4) in the end of episode, there was fake pathos speech by little girl before she has died. Even very smart small girls do not talk that way. Besides, she has made main hero killing her, while she was perfectly able to ask for a gun and kill herself;

5) main hero was aiming a gun at an old guy, but never shot. It has made this character more pathetic. In such situations non-embarrassing way to act is to either pull the gun and shoot, or not pull it at all;

6) vocal proclamations of "techniques" are as slow and stupid as ever.

Fifth episode:

Regent's bodyguards were shortly made insane for the sake of main hero accepting bodyguard job. This was lazy writing by authors to invent drama out of thin air. And, instead of that guards group being arrested (their attack against him was recorded, as everything that happens everywhere), they are still free to go.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:54 pm Reply with quote
@ MaxSouth

Beginning to think you don't even like anime.

1) It had been left abandoned for a few years, clearly left in a hurry based off how things look, so there should be a good chance it is not ready.

2) A lot was riding on that one shot so he knew he had to not miss, a lot of lives on the line can cause panic.

3) Because technically hitting it is like a giant punch, and thus awesome.

4) She had been through a lot that her age is something you can't base off normal people, and do you know many child soldiers? Is it so terrible that she was afraid of being the one pull the trigger and would get comfort for not feeling alone by having someone who cared about her do it?

5) Can't remember exactly, but was he maybe waiting to hear what he was going to say, good chance shooting may not have done anything and only not get insight.

You call it cliché? Name 3 other anime about a guy with a young female sidekick who is the muscle as they stop monsters that are mutated humans? You did get already that the little girls are only a short step away from being the monsters they are fighting, that it is not too far out of thought that people would consider them possible carrier of the mutation that look like people for the purpose of infecting them?
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Sixth episode:

In that advanced future of super-powerful cyborgs and light-speed cannons, people still need donors for kidney transplantation (facepalm)? How stupid authors think viewers are?

I am also tired of main hero always grabbing people (and sometimes throwing them on the ground) in his fits of psychotic insanity with his "passionate" reactions. Dude, go to the mental facility or something.

Tenth episode continues unbelievable, fake xenophobia setting. spoiler[It is publicly known that mutated girls is the only way for humanity to survive, so there is just no way there would be such massive hatred and, the more so, deadly terrorist acts against those children.]

Last edited by MaxSouth on Sat Sep 20, 2014 4:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 11 of 12