• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Characters you think are overrated?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:15 pm Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:

Kamina- Gurren Lagaan: I don't hate Kamina, but I don't think he's this god of a character. He was a one-note plot device for Simon's character development, and it really annoys me how people say they stopped watching GL after spoiler[he died].

I disliked Kamina. I thought he was an annoying and an overbearing shonen character. I never saw why he was acclaimed as a godly characters. Maybe its because this show probably had a lot of preteen fanboys. IDK. Usually I feel sad spoiler[when even a minor character dies. But when he died, I was like "Good Riddance". ]
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:02 pm Reply with quote
WhiteHairGirls wrote:
I disliked Kamina. I thought he was an annoying and an overbearing shonen character. I never saw why he was acclaimed as a godly characters. Maybe its because this show probably had a lot of preteen fanboys. IDK. Usually I feel sad spoiler[when even a minor character dies. But when he died, I was like "Good Riddance". ]

As a non-preteen, non-fanboy, allow me to explain Kamina's popularity:

It's not because of preteen fanboys. (...preteens watched this? really? o_O) It's because he was such a cool big brother to Simon, a great leader to everyone else and he had such a passionate attitude. Kamina is the the whole spirit of TTGL. Without him, the whole damn series couldn't have happened. He was the driving motivation behind everyone; especially the main character.

........also, we dig them badass sunglasses. Laughing

btw, I'm not arguing or saying "NO, UR WRONG"...just providing explanation for why peeps like him, is all.

Last edited by Chiibi on Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Touma

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
I don't really get why Rei and Asuka are so popular. I don't hate them or anything...just don't really get it.

It's the hentai doujinshi. Seriously. Maybe.Very Happy

Quote:
Yet of all the anime characters of Japan, these two surely have the most figures, gashapons, and mascots made of them more than ANY others.....

I think that it reached critical mass and became a self-sustaining reaction, sort of a perpetual motion machine.
The characters make the merchandise popular and the merchandise keeps the characters popular.
And don't forget Rule 34. Twisted Evil
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Even though there are a lot of good comments in this thread I am not sure where it is going. What does "overrated" mean anyway? Is it just a character you don't like that a lot of other people do like? How do you keep the question from just devolving to a popularity contest? It is all subjective.

For example, I personally get really turned off by female character with ginormous boobs who are also intended to portray all that is desirable by all the male characters, most of the female characters, and all of the audience. Who is that? Most of the female cast of Maken-Ki, High School DxD, Queens Blade-anything, Freezing, Kennichi Mightiest Disciple, and a few others. And you always ALWAYS have a pettanko character present to be jealous of them. Aside from not being very attractive, they are often portrayed as athletic fighter/warriors when in reality that physique wouldn't be able to get off couch and out the door without getting out of breath.

Those characters, in my view at least, are overrated.

That's my rant today. Enjoy.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:09 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:

For example, I personally get really turned off by female character with ginormous boobs who are also intended to portray all that is desirable by all the male characters, most of the female characters, and all of the audience.

I hate those types. I avoid anime where they dominate the main cast because it's so irritating and distracting. >_>
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:33 pm Reply with quote
I personally had a hard time caring about Ryuko for a majority of Kill la Kill. I don't hate her, I like the character design, and I do think her overall character arc works but I never really found her entertaining outside of fight scenes. She had moments but they were so few and far in between that I either look over them or forget about them. Every other character in the cast was at least twice as entertaining to me compared to her.
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:53 pm Reply with quote
@phia_one

You did a better job explaining it than I did. Saddam's parents used to beat him, but he still killed so many innocent people.

[EDIT: Don't over-quote. -TK]
meiam

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:28 pm Reply with quote
I talked about it in the anime specific threads, but I really think Shiro in Log Horizon is overrated, especially by the show itself. To me he felt like the writer couldn't actually make him a smart character like he wanted and instead chose to make everyone around him incredibly dumb and constantly praise Shiro for being smart.

And how is Homura a Mary sue?! She had an horrible life, heck she might have spoiler[repeated the event of the show thousands of time[. I would hate that, it's like Bill Murray in Groundhog day, there's a reason he pretty quickly tried to kill himself.] Heck she's one of the most interesting character I've ever seen. Now Kyubei is a character I think is underrated, or rather get a worse rep than he deserve, he was literally trying to save the universe, you can't make an omelette without breaking a few eggs.

I personally don't like the vast majority of main character, since most of them got the personality of wet tissue paper, but most of the popular one aren't like that, so I think I'm not the only one.
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Kyo Sohma- Fruits Basket: He was tolerable in the manga because he actually developed, but the anime ended before that development could happen. Most of his dialogue was him going on about his hate-boner for Yuki.

Everyone- Attack on Titan: Most of the characters are stock as hell. You can make a drinking game for how many military academy movie clichés you can find. You've got the guy who's racist against the enemy for killing his loved ones, the traumatized stoic, the wuss who wants to prove himself, the quirky comic relief that distracts from the tone, the bully with a superiority complex, and the hardass drill instructor.

A special mention goes to Eren, or as I like to call him, "Shinji Ikari Junior." Most of his dialogue is him going on about his dislike for the Titans. Expect a tangent against the Titans at least once an episode. I cheered when spoiler[he got eaten] and then shot my computer screen when he spoiler[came back more OP than ever]. So, instead of survival skills to fight the Titans, the writer just decides to rig the dice to always land on the Saving Throw by adding the spoiler[Titan transformations]. I should probably end this rant with review quotes going on about how amazing this series is to show that the Otaku community is doomed.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:11 pm Reply with quote
While I agree that the attack on titan characters are very dull i don't see why you went on about a completely different issue which doesn't really have any relevance to the topic. If you have a beef with the shows story that's fine but it has nothing to do with the characters personalities.

And do you realize that survival is still a big key in attack on titan right? Even with Eren's spoiler[transformation ]the loses to humanity still got worse and worse as the series went on. And a good amount of well established supporting characters spoiler[perish] as well which is something you would expect too see in a show about survival unlike most shows that try to keep everyone alive even in war scenarios (cough Naruto).

Considering the odds against humanity it would literally take a miracle for them to win. I mean do you honestly see a realistic chance of humans winning without some kind of power like Eren's that would tip the odds in their favor? It would come off as some "deus ex" and you know it. Eren being a spoiler[titan] may fall into that category but the show doesn't treat as a "We are all now saved!" fashion considering that Eren i still not reliable with controlling it and he still needs to be saved quite often.

The Otaku community was doomed when it started supporting medicore fanservice/harem series like IS and ignores shows like Kyousougiga and Watamote that are actually trying to go outside the box. Attack on Titan may be overrated but i respect the fact that it doesn't rely on otaku pandering tools like fanservice/moe/tsunderes etc. to be popular.
Aylinn

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:59 am Reply with quote
Light and L from Death Note. The plot was more interesting than they were. Making Light the protagnist and L the antagonist didn't change that they were just passable.

All magical girls from Puella Magi Madoka Magic. The more episodes I have watched, the more it seemed like I am watching a group of dumb volunteers who agreed to swim in a cesspit deep and big enough to make it very easy to sink. This made it impossible for me to feel sorry for them and I never understood their popularity.

Kobato from Kobato and Chi from Chobits. The first has mentality of a child in nursery making any romance with her to seem wrong. The second has no personality. Hideki could have as well fallen in love with an oven or a fridge.

edit

I almost forgot about Sawako from Kimi ni Todoke. Another character whose popularity escapes me. She is so slow when it comes to getting basic facts like the fact that Kazehaya likes her that it seems she suffers from autism. She is as bland and uninteresting as any other shoujo heroine. Really, I have no idea what makes her more popular than them.
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:01 am Reply with quote
Aylinn wrote:
All magical girls from Puella Magi Madoka Magic. The more episodes I have watched, the more it seemed like I am watching a group of dumb volunteers who agreed to swim in a cesspit deep and big enough to make it very easy to sink. This made it impossible for me to feel sorry for them and I never understood their popularity.

I...don't even...THEY'RE MIDDLE SCHOOL GIRLS. Did you even pay attention...you...ARGH. What were you expecting!? They're not stupid! None of them are stupid for risking their lives to protect the world from getting destroyed! You didn't even say why they are stupid! Is it because they're fourteen-year-olds? Fourteen-years-olds are not the smartest people to exist! They make mistakes! They have insecurities! Look, I'm sorry I'm ranting on about this, but GOD THIS STATEMENT IS STUPID.

(And the reason they're so popular is because bad stuff happens to them. You don't have to like them, but I think you're looking at it from the wrong perspective; that of the mature adult. They're not mature adults. That's the entire point of the story.)

Quote:
Chi from Chobits...has no personality. Hideki could have as well fallen in love with an oven or a fridge.

...This point. You have missed it. Very.

The thing I always found fascinating about Chobits is watching both Chi and Hideki develop as people. Chi isn't supposed to have a personality at first. She's a blank slate, relatively innocent, a sort of Rosseau-esque character. Part of the fun of watching the anime is seeing Chi become human through learning about the world and how to feel and how to love others. Hideki, in turn, learns to see Chi as a person and not just as a computer.

Sorry I got off topic, but these arguments were so poorly-thought out, I had to comment.

EDIT: Though I haven't seen [/b]Kimi ni Todoke[b], something about the commentary of the character rubbed me the wrong way. He seems to imply that autism=stupid. Now, I have a little secret I want to confess. I was diagnosed on the spectrum when I was about three. I'm a little slow, but I manage to do well in school. Most of the problems I have are with socializing with others and with certain behavior patterns. I don't have many friends, and tend to get frustrated when things get too stressful for me.

So when I saw that little comment up there, it did more than just make me angry. You got personal with me, so I'm going to get personal with YOU.

Hey, Aylinn. Ya readin' this? Okay. I'm glad I don't know you in real life. Because that right there? THAT is the most ableist and insulting thing you've written. Those few words up there struck a personal cord with me. I think I don't deserve to be spat on because of something I never asked for. And I don't care how casual or thoughtless those words were. It's because of that casualness and thoughtlessness that makes that sentence so awful. I hope you're happy with yourself.

Also, screw you.
Aylinn

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:31 am Reply with quote
Akane the Catgirl wrote:
I...don't even...THEY'RE MIDDLE SCHOOL GIRLS. Did you even pay attention...you...ARGH. What were you expecting!? They're not stupid! None of them are stupid for risking their lives to protect the world from getting destroyed! You didn't even say why they are stupid! Is it because they're fourteen-year-olds? Fourteen-years-olds are not the smartest people to exist! They make mistakes! They have insecurities! Look, I'm sorry I'm ranting on about this, but GOD THIS STATEMENT IS STUPID.

That's probably a news to you, but not all fourteen years old girls are stupid. Smart teenagers exist. And I find magical girls stupid, because they make or almost make obviously stupid decisions. Well ok, I must admit that Homura unintentionally did a very good job. spoiler[Keeping Madoka out of becoming magical girl and as a result giving her enough time to gain insight, so this time Madoka could actually think of a useful wish was a good move.]
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:41 am Reply with quote
Yes, exactly. Not all. That implies that MOST TEENAGE GIRLS ARE STUPID. Or, at the very least, naive and impressionable. I should know. I went to high school with most of those teenage girls. But let's look at, say the magical girl's wishes and when they were made.

Mami Tomoe: spoiler[ Car crash. Dying. Kyubey shows up. Wishes to live. Would you think logically if you were FREAKING DYING!?]

Kyoko Sakura: spoiler[Poor and starving. Kyubey shows up. Wishes her father's job would have clients so they could eat.]

Sayaka Miki: spoiler[Mami is dead. Crush has depression. Kyubey's already shown up. Sayaka wishes crush's hands would be fixed so she could bone him. (Under the pretense of selflessness)]

One of the main themes of the show is that spoiler[ true selflessness is a rare thing and that most selfless actions have selfish motivations. I'll refer you to the latter two girls as examples. Their so-called stupidity? That was intentionally written in to make a point. They weren't honest with what they truly wanted, and they have to pay the price. Mami had certainly realized it, and tried to warn Sayaka about the contract. Even Homura wasn't honest with what she wanted. That's what made her so tragic in the first place.]

I'm not going to even talk about the ableism anymore. I'm too tired to argue about it. If you want to defend yourself or apologize, go ahead. But I am DONE. We are cutting that off.

[EDIT: Don't over-quote, and please use spoiler tags. -TK]
Aylinn

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:54 am Reply with quote
Akane the Catgirl You take it way too personally. I have nothing against people with autism.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 3 of 10