• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Lily C.A.T. DVD

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:03 pm Reply with quote
I watched this with a friend who's into Alien and JC's The Thing as much as I am, and watching it for what it rips off is entertaining in and of itself. I don't remember if I had seen this during Sci-Fi Saturday Anime back in the 90s, I think most of the space stuff I saw with that 80s realism was probably from Odin.
TokyoGetter

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:15 pm Reply with quote
"a bastardization like Robotech"

... annnnnd we're off!
marcos torres toledo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:54 pm Reply with quote
I rented this at Blockbuster when it had mortar and brick stores in VHS. Yes it's a rip off of Alien but then look at Monster Rancher there a whole scene taken scene for scene from the science fantasy film Krull. We all know where Goku origins comes from Superman down to the destruction of his people and home world. So how much is this DVD going for you didn't mention the price.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:13 pm Reply with quote
We don't usually list prices in reviews since they can vary too much, especially given that these reviews can be active for years. However, this one has an MSRP of $24.95 and I believe I ordered it for around $16.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TonyTonyChopper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:15 am Reply with quote
I still really liked it perhaps more then i thought i did (and that doesn't happen very often) seems i'm kinda the only one here ...
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:46 am Reply with quote
Well, we saw it many times on Sci-Fi channel.

Good ol' space scifi they don't make those anymore.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:39 am Reply with quote
Now I'm interested in this. Just might pick it up. Smile I loves me some retro anime.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:21 am Reply with quote
The whole bit about being "outside of time" was interesting, but I found it kind of hard to believe that the first-time "sleepers" were so completely naive about the implications of leaving Earth for 40 years. spoiler[The cop's misguided sense of duty, the pathetic failure of the guy who looks like Shaggy from Scooby-Doo to realize he was being treated as disposable (or even simply being disposed of), and the shallow, spiteful reason of the company president's daughter were all kind of interesting, but] it really doesn't feel like it interacts with the whole alien monster plot well.

I think I would have preferred the "time-jumper" plot and the "outside time" things to stand on their own in a kind of police drama in space rather than bringing Alien and The Thing into it.

If you want an "outside of time" plot, I'd say watch Voices of a Distant Star rather than Gunbuster. Gunbuster uses time-dilation in the plot, but only in a few places, like the very end.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:26 pm Reply with quote
The time dilation effect wasn't just present at the very end of Gunbuster; it was quite prominent throughout the 5th and 6th episodes and came up a bit earlier on.

And while I entirely agree that VotDS is the best anime example of this, it came out more than a dozen years later. I was looking for a relevant example with a much closer time frame.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
hyojodoji

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:05 am Reply with quote
Theron Martin wrote:
The first-ever Western DVD release takes a no-frills approach, with the only Extra (if it can be called that) being a version of the closer with the original Japanese credits; curiously, it lacks the cat meowing sound at its end that is heard in the dub track.

So, the Japanese ending credit title sequence in the Discotek DVD doesn't have the cat's miaow?
The ending credit title sequence of the Japanese version which I watched had the cat's miaow.
As I said before, the 'twist' matter might be whether a version has the cat's miaow.

Chibiterasu11

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:54 pm Reply with quote
I remember that this was one of the many anime tapes we ordered from... some catalog. I remember watching this anime a few times over the years, even though I can't remember liking anything in particular about it. There must have been something I liked about it back then. I have cats now, and I still remember that one particularly horrific scene alluded to in the review, so I think there's no way in heck I could rewatch this anime anytime soon, Blu-Ray or no. In fact, this anime has some nasty grossout scenes,

spoiler[like at the end where the monster is pursuing the two lead characters and you sort of see everyone it's eaten inside of it because it was partially transparent]. Ewww. There's also that scene where spoiler[the two leads are trying to escape by entering a nearby planet's atmosphere and the monster and everyone else onboard that it ate burns up. You hear them scream and everything, as if they're still partially sentient.]

...Now that I think of it, this anime is a heck of a lot more disturbing than I remember it being. D:
noriko-takaya

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:51 pm Reply with quote
Roots Search also comes to mind as an Alien rip-off. I think there was a review of that one a while back.

As for the time dilation issue with Gunbuster, it was brought up in every episode, so it was a major factor in the story.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1