• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: More on Next Miyazaki Film

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RezSav

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Cool, so when will we hear a word about what it'll be about? I read that he doesn't announce his movies till sometime in December? Anyway, good stuff
hikaru004

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 8:31 pm Reply with quote
And....?

Only Studio Ghibli could get away with that type of an announcement imo.

What is the significance of color storyboards?
schizosmurf

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Color storyboards are a rarity

I kinda have to agree though. big whoop, right?

Maybe its indicative that this is a special project for Miyazaki, that he's putting more effort into this than usual. Which if true, is sayin alot, because after watching the little "making of" extras for Spirited Away, it showed he is very involved and dedicated in all aspects of his projects. [yea yea we all know that, i know Razz]

I'm very anxious to see what Ghibli has in the works (Anime smile)
Riyousha

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 9:41 pm Reply with quote
Where are the storyboards Question
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
schizosmurf

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 9:56 pm Reply with quote
uhhh.. at ghibli studios... duh
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 10:37 pm Reply with quote
We need to sneak somebody inside Ghibli so we can get some info on the movie Smile
LordRobin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 12:34 am Reply with quote
Wasn't Miyazaki retiring? Didn't he say he was retiring after each of the last two or three films? I guess he won't be able to stop making movies until they put him in the ground. Not that I'm complaining, mind you...

------RM
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 2:52 am Reply with quote
LordRobin wrote:
Wasn't Miyazaki retiring? Didn't he say he was retiring after each of the last two or three films? I guess he won't be able to stop making movies until they put him in the ground. Not that I'm complaining, mind you...

------RM

I always thought he said he was planning to retire soon, but I don't remember ever hearing him say I am done...although I could be wrong. I think now with his son in the company I think Hayao wants to prove that he's not old news....not to mention he was mad when the Academy sent him an invite to join, he considers that a gesture of growing old and being asked to bow out. As far as I am concerned as long as he continued to produced films that are high grade I will be satified....
Ranmah

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 6:47 am Reply with quote
Watercolor storyboards are pretty rare for Animation production. From my experience Storyboards are just quick black and white sketches. The finished stuff come later on in production.

Well this is Miyazaki's studio and he can do whatever he wants.

I heard the retiring rumor too. He said he is not retiring. He doesn't look like the type of person to retire anyway.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 9:22 am Reply with quote
I'm pretty sure he at least said he was going to retire after Princess Mononoke, but then Spirited Away happened, and....well, after that, he's been saying he'll retire sometimes, but I'm starting to think even he thinks he'll be animating on his death bed....Anime hyper

I don't know if the colored storyboards by themselves make huge news (although it is significant, i think), but the fact that animation is starting on it is.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
hrtrunks

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 9:28 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I always thought he said he was planning to retire soon, but I don't remember ever hearing him say I am done...although I could be wrong.
That's what I thought. I mean, his son has just started making anime, so I too thought that Miyazaki is going to retire.
The Garbage Man

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 9:41 am Reply with quote
this is gonna be good, i can't wait Anime smile
hikaru004

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 1:09 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't classify any of this as huge news. We don't know the name of the project, whether its an original animation or based on an existing property. We haven't seen any storyboards. We haven't been explained the relevance of color storyboards. We don't know who is on the cast.

Studio Ghibli hands out a few meager scraps of info and everyone goes ga-ga. If they were treated more like the other animation studios, they wouldn't be able to get away with this type of behaviour imo.
halochief_90

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 1:54 pm Reply with quote
I see the term "Miyazaki" (referring to Hayao) just won't die.Smile

Coloured storyboards eh? Might the second disc of this film actually be worth watching? (Note: recently released or rereleased Ghibli films usually pack a second disc compromised of only the standard storyboard version of the film.)
tidusora

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 2:33 pm Reply with quote
I'm actually looking forward to the next Miyazaki film. I didn't get a chance to see any of his except Kiki's Delivery Service and a small portion of Mononoke.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2