• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - The Other 1/2

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EricJ2

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:31 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
EricJ2 wrote:

back in the days when US anime was either inscrutable failed art features like Streamline, cheap failed OAV's which were the only thing small startup companies could get their hands on,

Hey! Dominion Tank Police! Devil Hunter Yohko! Patlabor! Project A-ko! Smile

And Bubblegum Crisis. Razz Like I said, short stuff was all they could get their hands on.
(Although Project A-Ko 1 was held out by fans to show "No, really, it's not all 'weird and violent', some of it's funny!" Except that you already had to have seen a lot of classic 80's anime, or you wouldn't get the jokes.)

Quote:
EricJ2 wrote:

Once Viz hit the shelves--to cash in on the manga fans and say "Ranma talks!"--every company had to have one long-run comedy series. Software Sculptor's Slayers also became one of the first nutty audience-friendly comedies to hit the mainstream stores, and also became an instant thing in the US,

Slayers was also the first to come out with 4-eps per VHS volume below $20, that helped its hit status. It's not too unusual back then for the hottest properties in Japan to be somewhat audience-friendly - they were aired on daytime hours and didn't rely on depraved fetishes as a hook.

That's what we miss the most about the days of the Rumiko Takahashi trilogy. The earlier poster, claiming "series that run on forever", was basically coming in at the end of the line and punishing Takahashi for InuYasha (which is....understandable Rolling Eyes ), and what they'd heard third-party hearsay about Ranma 5th season and up, but we lost so much good universal entertainment with the decline of mainstream daytime anime.
It was such a wonderful time, before anime started culturally hating its own audience. Sad
JackCox

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:13 am Reply with quote
I have to disagree the early episodes of Psycho Pass are great, it has an ultra-cool vibe that i really love.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:30 am Reply with quote
RHorsman wrote:

I can't defend Pupa as a whole, but episode 6? Where it's the little sister eating him bite by bite for 4 disgusting unflinching minutes?

That's every imouto show distilled down to its screwed up essence.

Ortensia1980

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:46 am Reply with quote
I couldn't even finish Pupa. It's a miracle I even made it halfway through, because I really couldn't stand it. I agree with dtm42 that Pupipo! is a hell of a lot better. The ending brought a tear to my eye and that's pretty admirable seeing as the episodes are only about 4 minutes long.

I can't wait till I get my Psycho-Pass premium edition box set. That show's totally worth it.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:14 am Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
....we lost so much good universal entertainment with the decline of mainstream daytime anime.
It was such a wonderful time, before anime started culturally hating its own audience. Sad

To be fair, we did have "Otaku no Video" even then, but I know what you mean. Daytime anime's still around, of course, but so much of it is "shows about ways to not catch up to the source material."

I do have to give credit to the "final chapter" series of Inu-Yasha. That really showed how great these shows can be when killing time isn't a constant consideration for the writers.

Edit: Come to think of it, there are still some good daytime shows. "Bakuman," "Cross Game," and "Space Brothers" all come to mind as shows that are filler-free, solidly entertaining, and accessible to geek- and non-geek audiences alike.
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:30 am Reply with quote
On Ranma:
willag:

Quote:
What I wanted I've gained through fanfiction. Stories where the cast matures some, particularly Akane. Stories where she tries to improve and reign in her temper. Stories where she trains and grows stronger. Stories where Ranma is the one to train her and they grow closer. I have nothing wrong with slapstick, wacky humor, but I need something more than comedy to keep me going. Once I become attached to a character, I want to see them grow and develop - not repeat the same schtick ad nauseum.

I'd love to see a rec list of good Ranma 1/2 fanfiction, if they're still available somewhere.

On Psycho-Pass:
I didn't watch it because the concept sounds kind of dumb to me, and the first episode was kind of boring. How can you punish someone for a crime they didn't commit? If your main argument is "But they'll be less crime!," well, Death Notes could reduce crime, too, as could an autocratic regime, or a really good "Big Brother" system (actually, that's something that might actually happen in some cities in the future, as places like London, Sao Paulo, and some American cities started putting cameras in public places to catch crime and misbehavior).

But you guys are saying that the shw gets better, and it *does* have a second season coming up...Just get through the first 11 eps, right?

On Pupa:

doctorx0079 wrote:
Shelf Life wrote:
It's hard to tell what parts of Pupa are gimmick, and what parts are meant to be dissected (no pun intended, for all those who have suffered through the other three-minute episode of people screaming) as an elaborate allegory for domestic abuse.

Did anybody else read this and think

My name is Pupa
I live on the second floor
I live upstairs from you
I think you mighta seen me before
If you hear something late at night
Some kind of troublesome kind of fight
Just don't ask me what it was
Just don't ask me what it was
Just don't ask me
What it was

Laughing

Yeah, I'm old. Wink

What about:
"Hell Is For Children"

Quote:
They cry in the dark, so you can't see their tears
They hide in the light, so you can't see their fears
Forgive and forget, all the while
Love and pain become one and the same
In the eyes of a wounded child

Because Hell, Hell is for children
And you know that their little lives can become such a mess
Hell, hell is for children
And you shouldn't have to pay for your love
With your bones and your flesh

It's all so confusing, this brutal abusing
They blacken your eyes, and then apologize
Be daddy's good girl, and don't tell mommy a thing
Be a good little boy, and you'll get a new toy
Tell grandma you fell off the swing

Pat Benatar is awesome in any age! Cool

On Pupipo: Sounds awesome, want to check it out! I've been meaning to check out Yamashibai, too.

Obvs, Tonari no Seki-kun was the best short this past season! Last season had the comedy Koroshiya-San, The Hired Gunm which didn't get Crunchyroll streaming treatment, unfortunately, but was very funny and worth watching.
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
On Psycho-Pass:
I didn't watch it because the concept sounds kind of dumb to me, and the first episode was kind of boring. How can you punish someone for a crime they didn't commit? If your main argument is "But they'll be less crime!," well, Death Notes could reduce crime, too, as could an autocratic regime, or a really good "Big Brother" system...

The psycho pass system is indeed Big Brother mixed in with emotion police. The idea is that emotionally unbalanced people cannot be trusted because - supposedly - they are a danger to themselves and to society at large. By rehabilitating slightly troubled people and removing or eliminating those who are too far gone, the system attempts to ensure that only emotionally/mentally healthy people are allowed to be part of society. It does this through extensive monitoring of citizens, who cannot go anywhere or do anything without their psycho pass being scanned and analysed. The fact that the system doesn't always work in practice is a fundamental part of the plot, especially in the second cour.

The concept of a society asserting emotional monitoring and/or control over its citizens to reduce crime and conflict is most certainly not "dumb" as you put it, and has been a staple of science fiction for many decades. The perennial question is whether such a controlled society is a utopia or a dystopia, with the overwhelming majority falling into the latter camp. The wonderful thing about Psycho Pass is that it presents an infinitely more nuanced answer than your typical movie or novel. I won't spoilt it for you, but I will say that Akane kicks arse.

Agent355 wrote:
But you guys are saying that the shw gets better, and it *does* have a second season coming up...Just get through the first 11 eps, right?

The first episode was one of the worst. I was actually very angry with it because it is so poor. Luckily the show gets slowly better over the next few episodes, and episode eleven is a game changer that leads into a strong second half. So yes, the show does get better.
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:11 pm Reply with quote
I have to watch more of the show to get a better understanding of how the Psycho-Pass system works in the show. I was under the impression that it was like Minority Report. From what I remember of that movie (I saw it on a long, interstate bus trip years back), psychics predict a crime, and the people who supposedly will commit the predicted crime get arrested solely on the psychics' visions. "Dumb" is the wrong term to use...it's more like it's so obviously wrong to me to arrest someone for something that hasn't occurred, no matter how likely it is that it will probably occur. Just preventing a probable occurence of crime is one thing, but punishing someone for something that didn't actually happen is wrong, for the same reason that murder and attempted murder are considered differently in court.

I'm planning to give the show another chance, and if the system is more about preventing crime by reforming potential criminals, I'll definitely see it differently.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
On Ranma:
willag:

Quote:
What I wanted I've gained through fanfiction. Stories where the cast matures some, particularly Akane. Stories where she tries to improve and reign in her temper. Stories where she trains and grows stronger. Stories where Ranma is the one to train her and they grow closer. I have nothing wrong with slapstick, wacky humor, but I need something more than comedy to keep me going. Once I become attached to a character, I want to see them grow and develop - not repeat the same schtick ad nauseum.

I'd love to see a rec list of good Ranma 1/2 fanfiction, if they're still available somewhere.

http://jusenkyo.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Completed
Echo_City

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:56 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Psycho-Pass is designed to make you think. For instance, take the scenario in which someone is tagged as a violent criminal and is apprehended. Although that person may have previously not been violent, they now are, faced with the fear of incarceration or death. Latent criminal, or self-fulfilling prophecy? It gets hairier too, when we learn that those marked for death can reverse their Psycho-Pass readings. It makes for a unique moral question, given the assumption that we already have a sophisticated algorithm that can accurately predict criminal intent.

Unfortunately, thinking along this (well worn) path will only set the viewer up for a fall when the "big reveal" happens, a reveal that demonstrates that any time spent musing over "what it all means" was time wasted.

Psycho-pass is the "Potemkin Village" of anime: if you follow only where it leads you and look only where it directs-if you go along for the ride-then it seems alright but when you wander a bit on your own you realize that all the grand constructs are just poorly-painted facades.

Given that, I disagree that the show wants the viewer to think. The UroButcher really only wants the viewer to nod in agreement with what he displays here. This is the ultimate in "pretentious" anime, a show created by and for those who wish to "look smart" without having to put in the effort to actually be smart. Why actually put thought into a show when you can just rip off classic science fiction and pack your ripoff chock full of pithy quotes from bygone philosophers?
Agent355 wrote:
I'm planning to give the show another chance, and if the system is more about preventing crime by reforming potential criminals, I'll definitely see it differently.
It's not. They touch upon "reform" and give a brief glimpse inside a reform center (sanitarium) but there's no depth on it. Stock criminals in this show either get killed directly by the protagonists or are whisked away to the sanitarium and not seen again.
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
Psycho-pass is the "Potemkin Village" of anime: if you follow only where it leads you and look only where it directs-if you go along for the ride-then it seems alright but when you wander a bit on your own you realize that all the grand constructs are just poorly-painted facades.

Assuming you watched the entire show, this comment of yours is extremely sad because it highlights how little you paid attention to it. It's like you didn't (and still don't) understand what was going on at the finale at all.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4