• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Conception II Game's English-Dubbed Feene Trailer Posted

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
merr

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Ugh, people need to stop letting Erin Fitzgerald do that pretty-pretty-princess voice. It didn't work in Bravely Default, and it doesn't work here.
StormVanguard

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:09 pm Reply with quote
Still english dub.
Still only Conception 2.
Still confused and disappointed.
razisgosu

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:49 pm Reply with quote
merr wrote:
Ugh, people need to stop letting Erin Fitzgerald do that pretty-pretty-princess voice. It didn't work in Bravely Default, and it doesn't work here.

I was about to comment about the voice of the character she played, then I realized I played the game in Japanese.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:33 pm Reply with quote
Unacceptable. That's all I can hear now from her voice.

merr wrote:
Yeah she's not bad, but her "pretty/cute/innocent" girl voice doesn't work.

StormVanguard wrote:
Still english dub.
Still only Conception 2.

I'm not sure whats confusing. Did you not want them to release this game?

Of course it has an English dub......it's getting released in America.........an English speaking country.

Why would they release the first one? It's a PSP game. It's a little late to release PSP games here.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
razisgosu

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:09 am Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:
Unacceptable. That's all I can hear now from her voice.

merr wrote:
Yeah she's not bad, but her "pretty/cute/innocent" girl voice doesn't work.

StormVanguard wrote:
Still english dub.
Still only Conception 2.

Of course it has an English dub......it's getting released in America.........an English speaking country.

Why would they release the first one? It's a PSP game. It's a little late to release PSP games here.

I think their problem is it's only English dub. Given it's an Atlus release, it's kind of to be expected, but still disappointing.
StormVanguard

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:

Personally yes, market wise it would be smarter.
Rahxephon91 wrote:

I wouldn't mind this if it wouldn't obviously follow sloppy dialogue and usually dubbing.
Do note there are dubs i like of course.
Rahxephon91 wrote:

Why would they release a sequel of an rpg with a story to be told?
And with that logic why would they release the second one and not both like white knight chronicles and danganronpa?

It's a hilariously bad market decision.
If they patched the game later with japanese voices i would be a little more okay with it but no one ever does that.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:21 pm Reply with quote
So you don't want them to release it and thus stop people from playing the game because its a sequel. That's pretty stupid. Especially in the world of jrpgs where the number at the end of the title has never stooped anybody from playing a game.

You don't have to play or know what happen in Conception 1. It is a jrpg sequel like most jrpg sequels in that it's just another game with the same concepts.

Besides clearly Atlus think there's a market for a game that could easily appeal to the Persona fanbase.

of course I guess it would better for them to not release it here because one forum person thinks its a bad idea.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
StormVanguard

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:

You don't have to play or know what happen in Conception 1. It is a jrpg sequel like most jrpg sequels in that it's just another game with the same concepts.

Like Ar tonelico, Mana Khemia, Ys 1&2 the list goes on and on actually, not everything is Final Fantasy.
Rahxephon91 wrote:

of course I guess it would better for them to not release it here because one forum person thinks its a bad idea.

It's a whole lot more then one.

And you're really underestimating how a company can butcher a game with dubbing, or changing things i have seen it done multiple times because i'm a fan of jrpgs.

Now what's stupid is sitting back and saying oh well and buying the game anyways. Just like how everyone thinks oh well this is just 2 $ or 10$ for this dlc.

But that's not the point, my original point was i rather them not release it because it's bad for them because it's probably gonna generate as much sales as monster monpiece does.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:01 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Quote:
hat it's just another game with the same concepts.

Like Ar tonelico, Mana Khemia, Ys 1&2 the list goes on and on actually, not everything is Final Fantasy.
[/quote]No more like Grandia, Wild Arms, kind of Shadow Hearts, Sukidoken really, Sakura Wars, Star Ocean, Persona, Tales, Breath of Fire, Dragon Quest, SaGa, Shin Megami, Souls, Legaia,...the list really could go on. The most these games do is have references, but you could play most of these series' installments independently. Even your Ys example is poor because you easily play the Ys games in any order and it really dosen't matter. It's really just 1 and 2 that are directly connected. You can play 7, the new Vita one which is what the remake of 4?, Oath, 6, ect in any order and it dosen't matter. The stories are pretty self contained.

Quote:
Not really, your argument is this is a sequel so I guess no one will want it or buy it, because it's a sequel. Yet that hasn't been true really for most of these niche companies that release these games. Atlus had not problem releasing SMT3 without actually releasing previous SMT games at this point. Being a sequel sure didn't stop Persona 3 bringing the series to new heights in the west. Many new fans came into the series regardless of playing the previous games.

Xseed really pushed Ys7 because it was self contained. The series has never been popular, but it sure didn't stop Xseed from trying to have people jump unto the series with the 7th game.

Quote:
And you're really underestimating how a company can butcher a game with dubbing, or changing things i have seen it done multiple times because i'm a fan of jrpgs.
Yeah and I rarely see that in Atlus' releases so there's no problem. This just sounds like "it's not in Japanese" so it sucks. If it's such a problem then learn Japanese. I've started to and have been playing the recent Shining games and 7th Dragon 2020 1 on the PSP. By the way, I never played the previous games and it sure hasn't effected the enjoyment of them.

Quote:
Now what's stupid is sitting back and saying oh well and buying the game anyways.
How is it stupid to buy a localized Jrpg that for all intents of purposes has no problems? Hasn't been cut up or have it's content toned down. Has had at least a solid localization by a company that does good localisations?

Should I not buy it because they couldn't bring the 2nd one. Oh I guess that will teach them to make a less risky gample of these jrpgs. That way this game sells terrible and they don't bring over a possible third or games like this. Yeah thats what I want.

Should I not buy it because it has a dub? Oh no they have English voice acting for an English game! How dare they not even seemingly cheapen out and make a really cheap dub either.

Maybe the cart can't fit two dubs? Maybe the game wasn't programmed for two audio tracks and it sure isn't going to be reprogrammed by Spike or Atlus USA. But I guess I should just boycott them for spending money on having a dub, which is made so the game can possibly sell to more people. What a terrible thing.

Quote:

Just like how everyone thinks oh well this is just 2 $ or 10$ for this dlc.
Yes the argument against being nickled and dimmed with DLC is completely comparable to Atlus releasing a game with seemingly no problems.
Quote:

But that's not the point, my original point was i rather them not release it because it's bad for them because it's probably gonna generate as much sales as monster monpiece does.
Well I'm happy that you know more about this then Atlus business people who surly looked at nothing before deciding to bring this game out.

Either way I very much doubt this will effect Atlus USA, a company that makes its living releasing niche games like conception.

And thats still a dumb reason to not want them to release a jrpg that some people actually may want to play.
razisgosu

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:12 pm Reply with quote
StormVanguard wrote:
Rahxephon91 wrote:

Rahxephon91 wrote:

Now what's stupid is sitting back and saying oh well and buying the game anyways. Just like how everyone thinks oh well this is just 2 $ or 10$ for this dlc.

That's crazy talk. This will generate so many more sales than MonMon ever would think of. MonMon is butchered to hell with censors, a chunk of IFI's fanbase won't buy it because of that. It's also digital only on the Vita, that kills even more of the Vita user base.

This game is coming out on 3DS AND Vita. It will definitely outsell MonMon handily.

Atlus continues to release these niche games because they have a loyal fanbase and Atlus knows what that loyal fanbase wants. There's a reason Atlus continues to generate huge chunks of money, because they're good at what they do.
StormVanguard

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:26 am Reply with quote
razisgosu wrote:

That's crazy talk. This will generate so many more sales than MonMon ever would think of. MonMon is butchered to hell with censors, a chunk of IFI's fanbase won't buy it because of that. It's also digital only on the Vita, that kills even more of the Vita user base.

This game is coming out on 3DS AND Vita. It will definitely outsell MonMon handily.

Atlus continues to release these niche games because they have a loyal fanbase and Atlus knows what that loyal fanbase wants. There's a reason Atlus continues to generate huge chunks of money, because they're good at what they do.

I never said Atlus wasn't a good company but obviously someone is making bad decisions. No matter how you look at it releasing a sequel before its prequel and only the dub on top of it is a double negative.
My only point was from a professional point of view it's a bad business move, of course i wasn't factoring in a specific business either. And regardless dialogue always gets lost in translation in this case.

Rahxephon91 wrote:
This just sounds like "it's not in Japanese" so it sucks. If it's such a problem then learn Japanese.

Actually i like dub's, usually preferring the original production is only common sense. Not only that i'm not really interested in the game it just baffles me from a business stand point.

Some games it works with as you stated, but some it's a bad decision and if conception 2 carries on from 1 word will travel the internet fast and reviewers will be sure to mention this.
The jrpg scene isn't anywhere as big as mostly any other genre, sure it's great for the fans and all but is it really worth it?

This is all i was getting at.
That and well all of these previews showcasing waifu's reminds me of the anime trailer of buddha 2 where it basically spends the whole time over hyping itself only looking rather suspicious in the end. Rolling Eyes You can't say it doesn't remind you of some cheesy action flick trying to sell itself with large font, epic voices and all of the good parts jammed into one trailer. Laughing
razisgosu

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:07 am Reply with quote
StormVanguard wrote:
razisgosu wrote:

I never said Atlus wasn't a good company but obviously someone is making bad decisions. No matter how you look at it releasing a sequel before its prequel and only the dub on top of it is a double negative.
My only point was from a professional point of view it's a bad business move, of course i wasn't factoring in a specific business either. And regardless dialogue always gets lost in translation in this case.

Rahxephon91 wrote:
This just sounds like "it's not in Japanese" so it sucks. If it's such a problem then learn Japanese.

Actually i like dub's, usually preferring the original production is only common sense. Not only that i'm not really interested in the game it just baffles me from a business stand point.

Some games it works with as you stated, but some it's a bad decision and if conception 2 carries on from 1 word will travel the internet fast and reviewers will be sure to mention this.
The jrpg scene isn't anywhere as big as mostly any other genre, sure it's great for the fans and all but is it really worth it?

This is all i was getting at.
That and well all of these previews showcasing waifu's reminds me of the anime trailer of buddha 2 where it basically spends the whole time over hyping itself only looking rather suspicious in the end. Rolling Eyes You can't say it doesn't remind you of some cheesy action flick trying to sell itself with large font, epic voices and all of the good parts jammed into one trailer. Laughing

Except in this game there's no relation to the first one. They stand alone. There's absolutely no point in them bringing over the PSP version as the PSP is dead everywhere but Japan. It wasn't a poor business decision to bring this over.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1