• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Tesla Effect: A Tex Murphy Adventure

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Video Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:54 am Reply with quote
Like many I grew up playing PC games in the 90s, and one of the biggest part of that experience were Adventure Games. In those days if you wanted narrative your games that didn't come out of a instruction booklet blurb, Adventure Games were the only game in town. Monkey Island, Space Quest, Myst, Day of the Tentacle, Full Throttle, Zork... I could go on all day. But there was one franchise that dared to do it bigger, bolder, and more cinematic that nearly all of its contemporaries. Tex Murphy.

Tex Murphy road the wave of Full-Motion-Video games, using film shot actors integrated into 3D enviroments, as well as elaborate live action cut scenes. Built around a 'Who done'it?' mystery set in a post-atomic cyberpunk future. There were five games in the Tex Murphy series, three of which qualify for any 'best of' adventure game list. Under a Killing Moon, The Pandora Directive, and Overseer. Overseer, which came out in 1998 was suppose to kickstart a new era for Tex, but alas the days of FMV were over and 3D action games like Half-Life were redefining how narrative could be used in games. Overseer didn't do to hot on the sales charts and the franchise went dormant. Heck Adventure Games as a whole were about to take a collective nap. And for a while we might even have called it a Dirt Nap.

But the HD era has brought Adventure Games back in a big way, the power of Kickstarter is changing all the rules. And a few years ago the creators of Tex Murphy successfully funding a brand new sequel to the Tex Murphy legacy. Tesla Effect: A Tex Murphy Adventure. Its been nearly 16 years, but Tex is back. And so is FMV in all its 1080p glory. Not to mention some killer looking gameplay that'll really make you feel like a detective.

Check out the official trailer! (and yeah, THAT Atlus)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkvJQGaFSwA

You can't believe how hype I am for this game. And its only a few weeks away! If you're at all interested in this game I suggest checking out their web site! And maybe pre-ordering over on GOG.com or Steam. Send a message, Adventure Games are back baby!
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:04 am Reply with quote
And now there is a demo out for the game, available via Steam or if your pre-ordered on GOG. The game releases on the 22nd, and I did not expect there to be a demo. This is super cool!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Video Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1