• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure [Part 3]: Stardust Crusaders (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bahamut623

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:16 am Reply with quote
I'm not fully versed in copyright law so I've been wondering about this a lot too. I mean, could they get away with it if they just changed the spelling slightly? Using J. Gale is less confusing then switching it entirely to Centerfold. It worked with Kars and co. I still knew exactly who they were referencing.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:32 am Reply with quote
I honestly don't know if that makes a difference. I suspect that if it was clear there was a pattern of slightly altering band names, you probably wouldn't be able to get away with it: i.e. if you had The Beetles, The Whom, The Rolling Stines, etc, it would still be obvious who you were referencing. I'm sure over the years, all the little tricks have been tried.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Then explain why they're using a real person's name, with a direct reference to that person?

I was describing the situation in North America to explain why CR isn't following the Japanese source material. For the Japanese original I have to assume they either got clearance to use the names or, more likely, they don't care because they think it unlikely that the people named are going to make a fuss in Japanese courts.

I wasn't talking about the Japanese. Captain Tennille is not a real person. Daryl "Captain" Dragon is. But I've figured out the answer to my satisfaction, so never mind.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Episode 12

LOL, spoiler[Polnareff got trolled hard this episode. Oh God, that was both heartbreaking and funny the same time. The Empress Stand was actually pretty crafty imo but in the end, I knew Joseph would come out as the victor for his experience.]

Great episode. They used an OST from one of the earlier ones when Jotaro fought against Dark Blue Moon. I hope the OST comes out soon! I want it.

Also, a noticeable news today is that the show is confirmed to be a 4-cour. Jojo SC all year long yay.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:37 pm Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
Also, a noticeable news today is that the show is confirmed to be a 4-cour. Jojo SC all year long yay.

Flippin' sweet! Now if somebody would just license Phantom Blood, Battle Tendency and Stardust Crusaders in NA.

The show has really hit its stride for me after what I considered a slow start. I wasn't initially that crazy over the whole Stand User thing, but I'm a convert. Loved the seiyuu's voice for The Empress. Laughing

Also it was great to see Joseph Joestar back in action.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Episode 13:

Great episode with the OST and action! Lol, the spoiler[Wheel of Fortune Stand was a funny one after been revealed of his appearance. Otherwise, I thought he was kinda crafty.]

Good to see spoiler[Ann/Runway girl return also. I notice she has a thing for Jotaro now. Oh boy, I think this is going to be a bit of annoyance for him. I'm really looking forward to the next episode though with The Justice Stand in action.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:22 pm Reply with quote
They can't travel to any country without getting into trouble.
Getting rid of that spoiler[kid] is just not in the stars..
Well, at least this makes the team even more interesting ^^
The spoiler[spoiler[new Stand guy]] was intriguing and pretty mysterious too.
Talking about spoiler[road rage.].. scary!
Another highly enjoyable episode.
Didn't expect anything less ^^
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:19 pm Reply with quote
Episode 14:

What an episode. Despite my dislike for the user for the spoiler[Justice Stand, I find the Stand itself to be quite badass. Too bad about Ann, I liked her during this adventure so far.]

I am glad that spoiler[Hol Horse] returned though. He brings in a lot of comedy into this show :>
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:03 am Reply with quote
At this rate Jojo's mom would die a few times over.
They sure are taking their sweet time getting to Dio.
Their tour around the globe is fun, but unrealistic when time is concerned.
So it's spoiler[Pakistan] this time.
Another weird town in the middle of nowhere..
Guess stands are everywhere they go.
That spoiler[old lady] sure was scary!
A nice foundation episode for new stand user.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:17 pm Reply with quote
Just caught the dub for episode 1 - I liked it! Mind you, it is going to be weird not hearing Joseph Joestar's seiyuu yelling, "OH NOOOOOOO!!!"

eta: okay, so I've seen all three dubbed eppies now and I'm jazzed, I must say. Awesome visuals and action deserve an awesome dub and it seems like we're gonna get it. Also very happy to see that "Walk Like An Egyptian" is still the ED in the dubbed version. My one disappointment? I think we get to hear a very brief snatch of Jean-Pierre Polnareff's voice during the preview at the end of eppie 3. I was hoping whoever plays him would use a French accent, but that does not appear to be the case. I find Polnareff to be a hilarious character and the hilarity would be over 9000 if he was saying his lines wiz zee Frawce ak-cent, oui? Oh well.

One more thing: in eppie 3, we see Dio use the Purple Hermit Spirit Photography skill (which, of course, is normally Joseph Joestar's Stand/ability), a detail which didn't really register with me when I first saw it in the subbed ep. I wonder if this means that Dio might have access to ALL the Stands we see. If that's true, that will make him quite the powerful opponent once the lads finally catch up to him.
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:24 am Reply with quote
I checked out the dub. The last I saw of Jojo's was Stardust Crusaders premiere when it came out, and the first series' premiere some time ago. I didn't think I could get over its over the top style, but I really enjoyed the dub, and got a big kick out of it. I think I'd watch the whole damn series dubbed, and I'm reconsidering watching it subbed.
My friends tweet after watching the eps:
Quote:
when the crew from jojo applied for an egyptian visa, what did they tell the officials? something like: "WE SHALL SEEK RIGHTEOUS VENGEANCE AGAINST THE WICKED, SENSUAL DIO" "uhh ok here are some museum brochures"
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:45 am Reply with quote
Laughing Actually JoJo and his buds are too manly for visas. "Visas? We don' need no stinkin' visas!"

I did chuckle at that line from the dub, however, that described Dio as being suspiciously sensuous or however they put it.

Anyway, I am SO PISSED that there was no AX-announcement related to the official confirmation that JBA:SC has been licensed in NA. I was sure that the dub broadcast was tied into AX, but I guess it was just a coincidence after all.

So the wait continues...
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:56 am Reply with quote
HA! Love Joutarou's wit and sense of humor. spoiler[Qtaro XDDD] Poor, poor Polnareff...
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:51 pm Reply with quote

spoiler[That old hag sure can hold a grudge.
It's amazing how naive our guys can be.
Polnareff was totally ROFL with giving her massage and all.
Luckily, Hol messed up the old hag's plan.
Damn, she really gave them a run for their money.
Jojo's strategy was brilliant.]

Great episode!
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:51 pm Reply with quote
Episode 15:

That was awesome. Poor spoiler[Polnareff Anime cry as usual. Good thing Jotaro was there to save the day. No matter how many times I see it, his Stand just literally stands out as one of the best in the series.] Hol Horse always brings the humor into this show too. Hope to see more of him later on as well!

The action was great too with the OST. Next week should be fun with that PV.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 6 of 10