• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Characters you think are underrated (or need more lurv)?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:54 am Reply with quote
As a response to the thread "Characters You Think Are Overrated", I decided to make this. There are some characters out there who tend to be forgotten. Maybe they're from an anime that in itself didn't get the praise it needed. Maybe they're undeservedly hated by rabid shippers. Maybe it's just a bad case of "Never Live it Down". Whatever it is, there will be characters you think need more love and attention. This is the thread where you can talk about those unloved and unnoticed characters. They don't necessarily need to be sympathetic, but they should at least feel like people you'd meet in real life.

I'll start with Mamimi from Fooly Cooly. Yeah, you may remember Haruko Haruhara, the resident manic pixie dream girl/ psychopathic woman-child. She's also a great character in the context of what she represents in the story. But nobody seems to remember Mamimi, the emotionally dependent pyromaniac. Her character arc is actually one of my favorite parts of the OVA. I found Mamimi very interesting to follow, as she goes on a spiral of self-hatred and destruction when she refuses to move on from a (probably) non-existent relationship. She's a horrifically flawed human being, but she learns to grow up and eventually move on to better things. To me, she felt like an honest-to-god human being going through trials and tribulations and making it out better than ever.
Ignatz

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:49 am Reply with quote
Ichise from Texhnolyze fits the bill. Considering that his dialogue is quite limited, there are a lot of aspects of his character revealed just through those rare moments of conversation in addition to the imagery that lends us to see into his past and also his behavior. He is one of the few characters that I invested a lot of attention to, not to mention feeling emotionally involved with what he went through.
Bango

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:17 pm Reply with quote
I have a habit of latching on to characters and series that just don't get popular and loving the hell out of them so I'll try to narrow it down.

Back when Night Wizard was airing I soon found myself completely mesmerized whenever Bell Zephyr was on the screen. Her design is simple and she doesn't entirely fit into any of my "OMG Mai Waifu" niches but she talked some serious sense. I was overjoyed when I found out you could side with her in the PS2 game (which is really damn hard, BTW). No doubt the right-under-the-radar qualities of Night Wizard are largely to blame but I was always shocked that she didn't get a little more of a following. Luckily artist Sugimura Tomokazu apparently felt the same and drew up a fair amount of art of her.

If I may dip into my past here a bit, Da Cider from Lamune 40 Fire was always a personal fav of mine but everyone else at the club completely hated the guy. I never really got why.

Also from my past but at least with a western market history I turn to Bastard!. Whenever I'm in a conversation about the machismo-soaked anime dudes I'm always amazed that Dark Schneider never gets mentioned. The guy is uber powerful, struts to his own beat and can basically do or kill whoever he wants. While I don't consider these "heroic" qualities, when a conversation is about characters who excrete sheer manly stereotypes I'm always amazed this guy never gets mentioned. The last time I was in one the MC from Accel World got mentioned before Dark Schneider did. Poor Dark Schneider. What did he ever do to deserve.... well ok he did a lot to deserve it. But I still say it's not right to leave him out.
Aylinn

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:48 am Reply with quote
Flay Allster form Gundam Seed. She was spoiled and unsympathetic, which is why I suppose she was not liked, but I have never seen a problem with that. Unlike the peace-loving princess who is there to lecture you about how horrible war is as if it was not obvious and who generally makes for a philosopher for the poor, Flay at least makes impression of a genuine teenager.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:02 am Reply with quote
Well I will go for the unfairly hated Mirai Kuriyama from Beyond the Boundary. For some reason so many people could not help but say she was a terrible character by saying she was too much of a pandering cute character, or she is inconsistent. Although at one point they may have made the mistake, Mirai was revealed to be a very complex character and the show had her growing throughout. And I believe that many of her parts showed her as a very human characters. Especially strong when you find out the truth of a lot of things.

I could say the same things about the other main characters in that series too, people were way too harsh on them in seeing them as just cartoony traits when in fact it was just hiding who they really were.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1