• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Rowdy Sumo Wrestler Matsutaro!! (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:41 pm Reply with quote

Rowdy Sumo Wrestler Matsutaro!!

Genres: tournament
Themes: sumo wrestling

Plot Summary: Matsutarou Sakaguchi is a giant roughneck man with strength far beyond ordinary people. He never uttered words like "work hard," "strive," and "dream" like the typical shounen manga protagonist. However, he is stronger than anyone and peerless in sumo wrestling. His greatest weakness is his own carefree personality. He grows into a full-fledged sumo wrestler.

Episode 1: Well that was amusing. The artwork took me a little while to get used to spoiler[but that OP song is something I might not forget for awhile. Then again, there's those scenes in the car and Matsutarou's daydreaming of his dreamgirl]

But still, the theme of sumo wrestling is interesting imo. I think it's more like a classic for Japan's culture so I'll definitely follow this show to see what's up.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SethMosrite

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:47 am Reply with quote
Well, the OP is an enka duet, so there's that. This is not as bad as the ANN reviewers are making it out to be. It's basically shaping up to be a shonen sports show but instead of a polite, hard working main character we get a complete douche. The positives right now are it's about sumo and set in the showa period, could be interesting.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:17 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

That was the single worst hero/protagonist I have ever seen, so much so that it was worth watching the episode just to see that. He kind of made me think of Wreck it Ralph, except the finest example of scum.
jaw271

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:18 pm Reply with quote
If you thought Matsutaro was awful you should watch Desert Punk , very similar and both are such horrible people its hard to stop watching. Cool Laughed so hard while watching DP...
CrowLia

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:10 am Reply with quote
Just recently I had the opportunity of attending a real Sumo tournament in Japan and I had so much fun I was mildly interested in this show, but if the main character is an insufferable douchebag I don't know if I'll be able to deal with it
GVman

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 1:57 pm Reply with quote
His behavior seems to stem from the fact that he's just that dumb and doesn't know any better. He gets his comeuppance in episode 5.

And I don't see what the problem with a douchy lead is. If it means character development is coming our way, than I'm all for it.

And CrowLia, what's it like watching actual sumo?
medama_oyaji

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:48 pm Reply with quote
I'm still enjoying this series! I'm a fan of old-school anime, and so I like the sensibilities of this show quite a lot. However, with this 70's pacing, it seems like it should span several seasons. Anybody know if this is continuing into the summer season?
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:30 pm Reply with quote
jaw271 wrote:
If you thought Matsutaro was awful you should watch Desert Punk , very similar and both are such horrible people its hard to stop watching. Cool Laughed so hard while watching DP...

Whoa. Sunabozo wasn't a horrible person. He was an anti-hero who was greedy. That doesn't make him a bad person, but rather a refreshing MC.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1