• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Haikyu!! (TV) (all seasons).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:15 am Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 2

Oh my god, Yachi is hilarious. Pretty much the entire time she was on screen had me smiling. She really seems capable of bringing her own character, especially how she reacts to the other characters. I hope she continues to be friends with Hinata and Kageyama. She also seems have come along with Kiyoko, which is also great.

And that sister character. Yes she seems cool, but she also seems to indeed be very much like her brother in the hot headed way.
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:55 am Reply with quote
Another really fun episode gull of great character interactions and introductions. Saeko is a great addition to the cast, she is shy yet fun. She brought a lot of comedy into this episode which was much needed due to its slower pace.
I don't see any other type of relationship than friendship blossom from Saeko and Hinata as Hinata isn't the type of character to pursue anything further. He is too focused on Volleyball to make the effort to chase and he is too naive to pick up on Saeko's feelings if she ever developes any, which I doubt she will.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 12:35 pm Reply with quote
TsunaReborn! wrote:
Another really fun episode gull of great character interactions and introductions. Saeko is a great addition to the cast, she is shy yet fun. She brought a lot of comedy into this episode which was much needed due to its slower pace.
I don't see any other type of relationship than friendship blossom from Saeko and Hinata as Hinata isn't the type of character to pursue anything further. He is too focused on Volleyball to make the effort to chase and he is too naive to pick up on Saeko's feelings if she ever developes any, which I doubt she will.

You're mistaking Saeko (Tanaka's sis) for Yachi (new manager).

Tbh I don't know why Lynzee thought Yachi would be a love interest for Hinata. In the opening we just see her staring at the guys in general playing and being awed by their performance. Of course, she and Hinata hit it off right away, but like Suga said, it's because Hinata has great communication skills (the guy broke through Kageyama for crying out loud). I think they're cute as overly excitable friends. Besides Yachi shows bigger signs of crushing on Kiyoko than on any of the guys
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 1:11 pm Reply with quote
I was the one who brought it up, Lynzee just replied to that. I was just doing some speculative warding off of evil spirits. Smile When female characters in male sports anime are given personalities beyond cheerleader, it's usually to give the mc a love interest (there's more to growing up than winning and losing and getting stronger). And even though it doesn't usually go beyond milking the humor of shy looks and awkward conversations, I don't want to see that happen here.

It was kind of a warning flag to me when Yachi got more character development in one episode than Kiyoko got in an entire season. But I pretty much trust Haikyuu to not go there, or to handle it as well as Baby Steps did if they ever do. I was just saying the idea of their friendship gives me warm fuzzies, but the idea of having to go through all the aww-aren't-they-cute fumbling around puppy love crap with them does not.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Also, I'm Rebecca, not Lynzee. Very Happy

Unless Lynzee said something about that in her preview that I'm blanking on, but if you mean the response to Gina Szanboti...
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:18 pm Reply with quote
I was referring to what Lynzee said in the Preview Guide

Quote:
The opening sequence also promises a little romance for Shoyo, with the introduction of a new blonde manager. She doesn't make an appearance in this episode, but she is present in episode two's preview. This could be a welcome addition of emotional conflict once the typical tournament struggles get a little stale.

She sounded convinced Hinata would absolutely get together with Yachi, and I really have to question where that idea even came from. But I definitely agree with you in that they're really cute and funny as friends, so I really hope they won't force a romance plot becaus imho it doesn't really belong in the series
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:37 pm Reply with quote
That makes much more sense. More importantly, how did I miss that entire section in Lynzee's preview??? Embarassed

I do see where the idea could come from, with the tendency Gina Szanboti mentioned above of only developing opposite gender characters in team sports-based shows if there's romance brewing. I guess we'll just have to wait and see, which luckily will be a pleasure.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Season 2, episode 3:

That was amazing. We got Hitoka joining the team as a team manager and despite her lack of experience and knowledge of volleyball, Hinata and the others are very accepting of her. I found it funny at how she reacted with some of the moves the others pulled during that practice game as well.

She'll get the hang of it tbh and should be a fun experience.

Loved this episode~
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 2:58 pm Reply with quote

Looks like the guys like their new future manager.
They were pretty hung up on having her accept the position.
Yachi got to see just how serious the guys are about volleyball.
Seem Hinata & her really hit it off ^^
Nice episode!
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:40 pm Reply with quote
That was so great. Wow is right, Hinata. Very Happy

I found it kind of funny that the main reason they wanted her to join was because having her there seemed to make Kiyoko smile more. (is it just me or is Kiyoko with teeth kinda scary?)

I was also quite pleased that they explained Asahi's new hairband. Apparently Kiyoko's right about the balding thing...
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 2:19 am Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 3

This really is working. Yachi had some growth from how she was to wanting to move forward. And all the ways Hinata has previously messed up but still accepted.

I liked the little short of where we get the character hitting the volleyball at a bottle had Yachi hitting it into HInata's head.

Such a great poster.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 2:41 am Reply with quote
Love this series. ;___;

The characters are all so great. I love their interactions. The eye catch was really cute, and I'm always amazed at the series' attention to detail. Near the end when the camera was showing the wheels on Hinata's bike spinning, they made sure to have the air hole for the wheel come around too!

Noya san and Tanaka never fail to crack me up. X3
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 5:42 am Reply with quote
Another great episode, mainly used to develop Yachi which is great as there was no messing around, she has found her conviction and has already made some great contributions to the team. Yachi's appearance has also helped Kiyoko develop as well as I felt she was a bit of a nothing character in the first series.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Season 2, episode 4:

Mm, even as a set-up episode, this season is still entertaining with bits of background story, comedy, and its characters. I find Lev to be an interesting character and a sharp contrast in terms of physical appearance compared to Hinata.

There's also Saeko, a character that I find quite fun to see each time she appears. Nice to see parts of her past too when she was in school. Overall, great episode. It also established some of the other teams' strengths so that's something to take notice of.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:46 pm Reply with quote
I think I laughed harder than I should have at Kageyama sliding and bumping his head while sleeping when Saeko made a sudden correction in her driving. XDDD
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 16 of 23