• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Baby Steps (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:22 am Reply with quote

Baby Steps (TV) & Baby Steps (TV 2)

Genres: romance, slice of life, tournament
Themes: school, sport, tennis

Plot Summary: Eiichirō Maruo (nicknamed "Ei-chan" for his grades being straight "A") is an honor student, bookworm, and is not interested in anything other than studying. In order to solve his problem of lacking physical strength, he enrolled a tennis school and soon found the fascinating side of tennis. Being a tennis newbie lacking physical strength, he supplement his shortcomings with his excellent observing and analyzing skills.
----------------------------------

Episode 1:

Good episode so far although the animation imo isn’t top notch. Still, it got the point across with the setup so far. I smell some flags being raised already. I hope Eiitrou improves his skills as a tennis player soon because I think he’ll face off some tough competition.
Then again, there’s Natsu and I think she’s cute with pro skills in tennis.

This definitely has potential even with anime original material added in. Dat ending though.

Last edited by Stark700 on Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1

A pretty alright start, I did sigh when it said that we would be going back a year to before he started, but personality wise it might be a good watch. Sounds harsh, but that girl is a special kind of idiot, who says things like that to someone's face and acts like that? Romance could be okay though.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:16 pm Reply with quote
I like this anime. i will continue to watch it. The animation is not very good, that's about it.
Merida

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:01 am Reply with quote
Hmm, i like that the show seems to be taking a more "realistic approach", by sports anime standards anyway spoiler[(i don't think the protagonist getting "wow, he's only been playing for a year?!" type of good so fast is really realistic, but i'm not an expert at tennis...)] which is nice in my book. Not really sold on the impending romance, yet but we shall see...the most annoying thing so far is definitely the MC's haircut! I want to send him to the hairdresser so badly... Sad
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2: And it had to end it like that ;.; with a big cliffhanger.

Anyways, I expect Ei-chan to do well if he keeps practicing like that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
Episode 2: And it had to end it like that ;.; with a big cliffhanger.

Anyways, I expect Ei-chan to do well if he keeps practicing like that.

The anime calls Bay Steps, so i expect him to make slow improvement over time unlike like other Shonen Jump titles.

I don';t expect him to win any tournament in this anime.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Poor Ei-chan - with a fine athletic fox like that, ya just know she's snowin' and blowin' half of Tokyo, amirite?

Be more realistic in your romantic pursuit, Notebook-san.
tulgonkoh

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:14 pm Reply with quote
are there any new episodes?
Merida

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:46 am Reply with quote
So he needs to actually look up what spoiler["liking somebody"] means?! I get it, he's supposed to be the bookish type, but that's stretching it a bit too far... Rolling Eyes Makes me wonder spoiler[if the future couple will ever get to the level where we'll see Ei-chan taking/reading notes during sex...now that would be kinda funny at least.] But it's probably the wrong genre for that...
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:22 am Reply with quote
I'm really enjoying this show so far. It probably helps that I really like tennis and so don't mind learning more about the sport through Ei-chan's experience.

Even the dated character designs work pretty well, except for Ei-chan's ridiculous hair - it's okay when viewed from the side but when you see him head-on, it's really pretty dumb looking.

But I can look past that because I so far am pretty engaged in the story and want to know what will happen next.
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:10 pm Reply with quote
And the latest episode ends with another cliffhanger. The beginning part was what I kinda expected though with it being a total spoiler[misunderstanding]. Sure there is romance in this show but it would of been way too fast for now.

As far as practicing goes, I think Eiichirou is making progress. spoiler[He better return that serve though even if it looks hard as hell.]
Merida

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 11:08 am Reply with quote
Hmm, i'd been (naively) hoping that this would be a semi-realistical sports anime for once. But of course it turns out that spoiler[ the MC is some kind of mega-talented genius with the potential to get better than players who've practiced for years in just a couple of months.] So much for "baby steps"...still kinda enjoying this, but bleh. Rolling Eyes
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 10:16 am Reply with quote
Merida wrote:
Hmm, i'd been (naively) hoping that this would be a semi-realistical sports anime for once. But of course it turns out that spoiler[ the MC is some kind of mega-talented genius with the potential to get better than players who've practiced for years in just a couple of months.] So much for "baby steps"...still kinda enjoying this, but bleh. Rolling Eyes

mega-talented genius in sport is realistic. Those things do happen. Some people never play football or basketball in high school can be a all pro.
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 11:05 am Reply with quote
I'm actually really enjoying the matches so far. I've never been a big fan of tennis though but the way they are playing it catches my interest. I wonder if Eiichiro will play against Takuma in the future again although he has to get through some of the other competitors in seed.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 11:42 am Reply with quote
Episode 8

This episode went over a long period of time.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5