• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
One Week Friends (TV).

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:24 am Reply with quote

One Week Friends
Genres: comedy, drama
Themes: friendship, school

Plot Summary:
High schooler Yūki Hase notices that his classmate Kaori Fujimiya is always alone, and seemingly has no friends. After approaching her Kaori reveals that she loses every memory of her friends each Monday. Despite learning this, Yūki endeavors to become her new friend every week.

Episode 1:
I gotta say, that was pretty cute. Not only the OP song but our main characters interacting with each other on the roof and just having a sweet time together. Shame though...spoiler[I think Kaori loses her memory every Monday. But still, those memories they made will live on with Hase.]

I can definitely get used to this despite some of the more emotional moments. And speaking of that, I thought the OST captured those moments wonderfully. Definitely looking forward to more episodes!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
phia_one

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:43 am Reply with quote
I really liked it. I thought they did a good job of showing Yuki and Kaori slowly forming a bond.
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:37 pm Reply with quote
I don't normally like watching shows that are not streamed on the main sites but I'm glad I did as, wow, that was more powerful than I expected. I can see this being one of the standout shows of this season; its my second favourite first episode of the week. It was both heart warming and heart breaking with the characters feeling real and believable. I also loved the artwork and character design.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:48 pm Reply with quote
I thought this was going to be a 5 minute show based on the premise. Well I am ready for my feel trip. I like the simple face structures. Both the OP and ED were nice songs. I expect good stuff from this series.
ZorgonXtreme

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:02 pm Reply with quote
This show has a lot of good things going for it. It has a wonderful almost laid-back quality about it but it's bolstered by the great characters. The music is damn fine, too. They did a really good job at showing the slow-steps of friendship building. There wasn't anything jarring about the speed of which the two started becoming friends and that in itself lends credence to the atmosphere and overall pacing the story has.

In short: this is going to be a great show. The potential here is fantastic.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Gah that memory thing really seems like cheap plot device to me (and it's oddly specific for that matter too with only family being remembered and good memories always going away). I typically hate stories with amnesia because it's really easy to make it work when you want it too which is why i somewhat disliked Golden Time. It's a innocent enough show so hopefully it is used in a tasteful fashion.
meiam

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:44 pm Reply with quote
Well I might watch it, but only once I can check the ending, because there's the possibility that it'll end with "…and love cured her", and if that's honestly the ending I'd rather not watch it at all.

Aside from that, I keep expecting Adam Sandler to pop up.
Merida

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:19 am Reply with quote
I admit that it's cute and everything but all i could think about the entire time was "what kind of weird condition is this and will we ever get an explanation for it?!" and i normally don't have a problem with suspension of disbelief...but well, i'm going to keep watching for now, if only for the protagonist's deadpan friend. Wink
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:58 am Reply with quote
Merida wrote:
all i could think about the entire time was "what kind of weird condition is this and will we ever get an explanation for it?!" and i normally don't have a problem with suspension of disbelief...

I had the same thoughts whilst watching but I have given up trying to find a rational reasoning to events in anime as most have some completely unrealistic element to them Laughing
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:06 am Reply with quote
There is an explanation for it, though who knows if the show will make it that far.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:46 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

Crying or Very sad I am probably going to put myself through torture in watching this, but after watching it, I found it so cute that I can't turn back now. It is going to be clear that each week is going to be a culmination of daws and then heartbreak towards the end. His decision to try and make friends with her all over again is comforting.

Just speculation, must be some sort of memory processing thing connected to parts of her brain to do with happy emotions. Her family must be kept in a different, or it could be that she has known them for a long time, answer could be try and do the same. That is unless it could be purely psychological like she is repressing something.

Character development in this is going to be weird.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:58 am Reply with quote
TsunaReborn! wrote:
I don't normally like watching shows that are not streamed on the main sites...

Crunchyroll isn't one of the main sites?
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:31 am Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:
TsunaReborn! wrote:
I don't normally like watching shows that are not streamed on the main sites...

Crunchyroll isn't one of the main sites?

Crunchyroll isn't streaming it in the UK Sad
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:55 am Reply with quote
Because the UK sucks. Wink

Anyway, I liked the first episode a lot, but I'm curious how they will spin this out for 11 more eppies or whatever. Seems more like a three part OVA series or something. I too like the deadpan friend. Cute show with strains of poignancy.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:23 pm Reply with quote
TsunaReborn! wrote:
Crunchyroll isn't streaming it in the UK Sad

Ah, I should have looked at your location!

Anyway, I just watched this tonight, because the preview guide made it sound like it was better than the ludicrous premise. And it was, though I don't know how long it can last. It's a bit too precise for anterograde amnesia. But oh well, it's not the most ridiculous premise for an anime that is still able to somehow work, so maybe my misgivings will be for naught. The first episode was pretty adorable, at any rate.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 14