• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Chaika - The Coffin Princess (both seasons) (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
A Mystery

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:39 am Reply with quote
Why did you think it was an 'ok' show? What were the things you didn't like? Are you going to watch the second season?
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Jose Cruz wrote:
Watched the whole first season. It was an ok show, there are many better ones and since I usually watch stuff selectively, it is below the average quality of the stuff I watch.

I also think that's a little harsh. Chaika's not meant to be a artistic masterpiece. It's a fun, fantasy show with a lot of charm.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:04 pm Reply with quote
A Mystery wrote:
Why did you think it was an 'ok' show? What were the things you didn't like? Are you going to watch the second season?

I didn't particularly dislike anything about it. I think it's all around mediocre: mediocre animation, mediocre direction, mediocre fantasy world building and mediocre writing. As the post above me said, I usually watch stuff considered to be artistic accomplished so that Chaika was below the quality of my usual diet. I watched it because the main character looked kinda moe instead of actually reading a review about it. I like to watch easy stuff once and a while and Chaika was a good normal show to fill up my entertainment needs.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Jose Cruz wrote:
I didn't particularly dislike anything about it. I think it's all around mediocre: mediocre animation, mediocre direction, mediocre fantasy world building and mediocre writing. As the post above me said, I usually watch stuff considered to be artistic accomplished so that Chaika was below the quality of my usual diet.

From your anime review thread, you like artistic shows like Kaiba, Ping Pong, and Penguindrum. Chaika is a very different show compared to those shows. Of course, what shows people enjoy is different for everyone.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:45 pm Reply with quote
But I enjoyed Chaika. I enjoyed it less than those artistic shows though, and lighter stuff is usually better for relieving my stressful days. Masterpieces can be emotionally exhausting and it's impact can distract me from my work while a nice light show like Chaika is relatively "harmless", so I enjoy watching it. Like A Certain Scientific Railgun, for instance.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Jose Cruz wrote:
But I enjoyed Chaika. I enjoyed it less than those artistic shows though, and lighter stuff is usually better for relieving my stressful days. Masterpieces can be emotionally exhausting and it's impact can distract me from my work while a nice light show like Chaika is relatively "harmless", so I enjoy watching it. Like A Certain Scientific Railgun, for instance.

Okay. I guess from your earlier post, it sounded like you didn't like the show at all. But I agree, sometimes you just want to watch something to relax.
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Season 2, episode 7:

Great episode overall especially with the tournament in full swing now.

I think when it comes down to it, spoiler[it will be the clash of the Chaikas based on the events so far. Also kinda curious to see Niva's role in this arc since she has the potential to start a war.]
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Episode 7:

Completely different from the novel at this point, even the pairings are changed up.

I think I can see how the producers are proceeding from this point. spoiler[Hartgen gets more of an active role in the storyline compared to the novel, but the seated Black Chaika hasn't revealed all of her abilities yet. Since there's no duel, it will probably be a battle royale between red, white and pseudo-purple at some point. ]

spoiler[They've covered up Black Chaika in her character design and made her less of an invalid, but it's difficult to distinguish her from the sisters who are always by Hartgen's side. ]

spoiler[Guy is written up to be in league with Hartgen, which is what I'm not too happy with. Since I know what his real identity is, I suppose it's a disappointment that the producers changed up his role to the way it is right now. ]
Plasmaeclipse

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Aww man I wanted to see Frederica and Toru as a team instead of him and Chaika she barely gets any screen time for battle scenes as is. Although she is doing well against the mooks and this time without being places in mortal danger first so maybe being in spoiler[Dominica form] reduces her Worf points. Although now I kinda want to see the spoiler[Dominica armor on her Lucie form it's always fun seeing a Loli in dragon armor wielding a longsword as big as she is]

Well according to Harleyquin the story is completely off the rails now so who knows what the hell will happen. Seems like spoiler[wheelchair Chaika is ramping up to be the final boss instead of Hartgen. Or maybe we'll have a 3 on 3 (2 1/2 technically) Chaika duel while our non Chaikas fight Hartgen, Shin, Gillette and whoever else is on hand?]
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:21 am Reply with quote
Looks like it's all going down in the next ep. We got all the Chaikas in one place, red, white, black, you name it Smile
dan7el

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:31 pm Reply with quote
I'm still waiting for the Yellow Chaika to show up. Then we'll have R-W-B-Y.

But better.
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Season 2, episode 8:

Tons of action this episode as I had expected. Poor spoiler[Akari and Francesca though. I think the latter also underestimated their enemies.]

On the other front, spoiler[Toru and Chaika battles against other Chaikas and they got themselves into trouble as well. Still, there's some light this episode with Vivi seeing a familiar face and reuniting with him. Can't wait to see the penultimate episode of the season to see how this ties in together.]
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:16 pm Reply with quote
The speed with which Chaika has gone from a generally-competent effective take on traditional fantasy storytelling to a tedious mess of fantasy cliches is quite impressive.
L'Imperatore

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:17 pm Reply with quote
The latest episode is notable for being, IIRC, the only one without usual Toru-Akari banter. Proving how dead serious this episode is. Laughing

On a serious note... It's a shame if they intend Hartgen (or/and the Black Chaika) to be the final boss. Not only it'd be a repeat of the first half, but also... sorry to say, because he is nowhere as badass as the emperor was.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:45 pm Reply with quote
So this is the route they have chosen to link this adaptation back on track with the novel at this point in time...

Competent enough, but nothing compared to the original material. Still, plenty of action to distract viewers from the differences with the source.

spoiler[ Gilette does lose a body part after all, only this is the first time and he loses much less than expected. By the looks of things, the producers have decided to completely omit Guy's true role in this arc in favour of something simpler featuring Hartgen and Black Chaika. ]

spoiler[ Pitting white vs. red was probably to be expected given the chain of events thus far, but I preferred the co-op for the battle royale of the 2nd round of the competition. Red's concern for her compatriots does show through here in a similar manner to the source. ]

spoiler[Had the producers not implemented the scene with the puppets, it would have been a really bad adaptation. The puppets and Gilette's actions should be enough to clue viewers into Black Chaika's special ability. ]

spoiler[What's up for next episode should be quite straightforward, but if they are going to assemble everyone for the final showdown it will almost certainly be different from what the (unreleased) final volume has in store for readers up to this point. ]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 21 of 23