• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Chaika - The Coffin Princess (both seasons) (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 2:
Seriously, those spoiler[guards have no mercy for others huh?]

I feel a bit spoiler[bad for Vivi now after seeing some of her flashbacks during her time with Gillette. Anyways, kinda curious to see where this is going from here as I feel that Chaika is also feeling a bit of guilt.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
L'Imperatore

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:28 am Reply with quote
Presence of a spoiler[cat] may determine the outcome of the match. Didn't see that coming. Laughing

Let's finish this remains hunt fast and get to that damn island already, shall we?
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:44 am Reply with quote
L'Imperatore wrote:
Let's finish this remains hunt fast and get to that damn island already, shall we?

I'm hoping it'll be done in the next 2 or 3 episodes so we can finally see what the big secret is. Still, I enjoyed this episode.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:18 am Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 2

So spoiler[Frederika decided to get involved in the match after all, her use came from just being a cat]. Claudia was probably the coolest character in the entire show.

Also, two Chaika's like Toru, normal go red faced never gets old, and more Red Chaika is not bad.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:27 pm Reply with quote
I've figured out the producers are going to stretch out the storyline given the incomplete state of the novels.

spoiler[This episode and the last one are originals, the island White Chaika wants to explore IS part of the novels but with these two episodes we also understand how Red Chaika obtained her body part (which is important later). Looking at the trailer, the black sisters are going to appear much sooner than I expected. ]

The wizard hero is a nice addition, she's even self-deprecating on the type of company she kept when she was part of the assault squad. Unlike the other heroes who tended to break down in some way after their experience, she got on with her life without attaching too much thought to the "prize" she was entrusted with.

spoiler[I don't like the way the producers are trying to build up a romance between the Chaikas and Toru, I preferred the original arrangement with Toru seeing himself as a guardian and feeling guilty over his decision to use Chaika's goal as a means of running away from his responsibility of living his own life. ]
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Season 2, episode 3:

Solid episode with the action and small bits of comedy (thanks to Akari!). We get spoiler[two cliffhangers on both sides there at the end with Chaika and Frederica falling into that island literally while Tooru and Akari are pulled under the ocean.]

Anyways, I'm also kinda curious to see what spoiler[Red Chaika's] next move will be.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Plasmaeclipse

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:25 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[Dammit Fredrica for a Deus Ex Machina you are completely useles >O shame on you! Just kidding I'm not sure what she could have done in a 5 on 1 situation]

Nothing from the Gillette Squad this week which is kinda disappointing cause spoiler[Gillette being on Gaz island will probably put them into the spotlight at some point especially with Vivi being a chaika it seems]

I guess Fredrica eating fresh fish whole in both cat and human form was cute and funny. I think her adorableness is on par with Chaika's (BLASPHEMY! I know)

spoiler[RELEASE THE KRAKEN]

spoiler[Um Shin is around too I guess he will be a villain, perhaps his ethics and tactics will put him in contention with Gillette? maybe someone to menace Toru and Akari?]

There's also the captain of the Punitive force that we still have to see

Looking forward to how things play out from here
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:03 pm Reply with quote
They've certainly taken liberties with the original material, but the outcome isn't too bad.

1. spoiler[The books don't mention the heroes much, this adaptations seems intent on fleshing out each and every one of them. ]
2. spoiler[It always felt strange wondering how Chaika was considered the front-runner for body part collection when she hadn't really collected a full sample. Now with the elucidation on how ears were obtained, it makes it more plausible she was closest of all the Chaikas to collecting a full body. ]
3. spoiler[Viewers still catch up with the main plot although the composition of members and pacing has changed. I suspect the lack of a final volume in print is forcing the producers to adopt this strategy. ]

It's good fun, although unfortunate the series doesn't attract more retail love than others. The timing for this series wasn't good either with the competition from concurrent series.
L'Imperatore

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:43 pm Reply with quote
Heh, and suddenly the myth of Fredrica's badassery is spoiler[shattered!] Laughing

Anyway... It'd be really interesting to see spoiler[Chaika-fied Vivi confronting her "sisters" this time... provided she somehow made her way into the island.]
And of course, her reunion with spoiler[Gillette] will be much anticipated.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:03 am Reply with quote
Episode 3

Frederica was spoiler[biting the heads of and eating whole raw fish]. The impact does not hit until you think about Golem spoiler[doing the same thing is disgusting and terrifying]. Personally I think that is a great part of her character, that she is distinctly not human despite it. Whether it is a cute cat or a sophisticated looking young girl it is not what defines her.

I too wanted to see Toru spoiler[bathe in boiling water, imitate a parakeet and eat past through his nose]. To tell the truth this felt like the first time this season that the old Chaika the coffin princess, was back. We had them messing around from seeing the ocean for the first time and light picking on Toru. Akari's ridiculous spoiler[cover] and Chaika spoiler[believing it], was something I kind of missed. Toru also kind of spoiler[pouted because he wanted her to stay safe, ironically him following her was because working for someone in that way is who he is, while she wants to find out the truth of herself].

Looks like we are getting down to the truth. If that guy was the hero spoiler[that killed the emperor], it opens up questions of why his spoiler[two "daughters" look like Chaika, and why he seems so involved in it]. If I had to make a theory, it could be that the spoiler[hero went to the island and got possessed by the emperor, and the Chaikas were released to get the body parts to make him whole, he is taking back power by using the people that killed him].
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:46 pm Reply with quote
L'Imperatore wrote:
Heh, and suddenly the myth of Fredrica's badassery is spoiler[shattered!] Laughing

Anyway... It'd be really interesting to see spoiler[Chaika-fied Vivi confronting her "sisters" this time... provided she somehow made her way into the island.]
And of course, her reunion with spoiler[Gillette] will be much anticipated.

I know there was a fear of Fredrica being a deus ex machina, but I think the end of this episode took care of that issue. I'm expecting episode 4 to be the point where the show really gets going, since we're finally on the island.
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Season 2, episode 4:
Decent episode overall. Some spoiler[secrets revealed once again while the others struggle on the island against the Demi-humans]. I gotta say, that spoiler[secret revealed about the Chaikas sure isn't something pleasing along with the experiments going on. Emperor Daz has a twisted ambition...]

Lol and even in the spoiler[face of this danger, Akari can still make some jokes huh? Laughing Anyways, I'm curious to see how both groups will deal with what's on their hands now. Won't be easy though.]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:06 am Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 4

Shocking truth! Well hardly a surprise, I think the important thing would be to keep in mind how spoiler[it finally tore down Chaika's optimism, how the goal she has been following was shown to be more than futile]. We did get a bit about the magical creatures and how they relate to the origins of magic. I kind of remember something in the first episode that there was someone behind the unicorn, spoiler[and seeing here that they were being cloned], I wonder.

Also, who does not want to spoiler[chat with a kraken]? Truth be told another show also finished with a sunken ship and giant sea creatures, so I was a bit confused at the beginning of the episode. I kind of wonder what Chaika would think about the origins spoiler[of magic being kind of cruel to the creatures]. And how does the spoiler[mysterious girl] fit in. I was kind of wondering if it was the original spoiler[Chaika since there was mention that someone was killed].
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:56 am Reply with quote
They're certainly dragging out volume 7 with this and the next episode. The spoiler[chat with the Kraken] occurred under different circumstances but that's important and without it the rest of the series can't proceed.

The role of the spoiler[beastmen soldiers] is regrettably underplayed in this adaptation, the novel gave them much more screen time. At least the adaptation has got the pairings for the novel at this point on track, even if the circumstances that got them there differed.

Both users trying to guess who spoiler[the girl in the display case is] have got it spoiler[completely wrong.] It's no fun revealing her identity but all will (hopefully) be made clear by next episode.

For those who have followed the series right from the start, the very first scene spoiler[featuring a white-haired girl being lectured by a huge amphibious monster] should make sense by now.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:44 pm Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 5:

So Niva is spoiler[a Gundo in human form who requires a Chaika to be her trigger? And Emperor Gaz probably intended that all along?]

Gods, I love this series. It many not qualify as one of my favorites for the year or one of the best, but I can't think of any series which beats it on its plotting.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 19 of 23