• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Chaika - The Coffin Princess (both seasons) (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:14 pm Reply with quote
The spoiler[living weapon] finally makes its appearance! This was the highlight for book 7 but they've made two significant changes from the book which I'm not sure I can agree with.

1. spoiler[Guy was supposed to possess Izhmael at the tower since White and Red Chaika had gone too far and deviated from the original plan. As it turns out, Izhmael gets hit by the annihilator all the same but Niva's ability to slay the seemingly immortal Guy is not illustrated. ]

2. spoiler[Red Chaika and her crew didn't have a boat to go back in, so they bartered the one body part they had in their possession to hitch a ride back on Frederica. Ultimately this is not a big issue since the body parts all end up at the same destination, but why put in effort showing how Red Chaika got her body part in the first place if it wasn't going to bartered away? ]

One minor change is spoiler[ just two beastmen survivors compared to a whole community building itself a new future. ] I'm not surprised since they were given short shrift in the adaptation so this conclusion seems logical.

That's it for volume 7, not a lot of airtime remaining to finish the remaining volumes. If they've made the decision not to animate spoiler[Guy and the 9 warriors], then the plot is going to take a huge detour from the novels. Time will tell if it's the best decision.
Plasmaeclipse

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Harleyquin wrote:
The spoiler[living weapon] finally makes its appearance! This was the highlight for book 7 but they've made two significant changes from the book which I'm not sure I can agree with.

1. spoiler[Guy was supposed to possess Izhmael at the tower since White and Red Chaika had gone too far and deviated from the original plan. As it turns out, Izhmael gets hit by the annihilator all the same but Niva's ability to slay the seemingly immortal Guy is not illustrated. ]

2. spoiler[Red Chaika and her crew didn't have a boat to go back in, so they bartered the one body part they had in their possession to hitch a ride back on Frederica. Ultimately this is not a big issue since the body parts all end up at the same destination, but why put in effort showing how Red Chaika got her body part in the first place if it wasn't going to bartered away? ]

One minor change is spoiler[ just two beastmen survivors compared to a whole community building itself a new future. ] I'm not surprised since they were given short shrift in the adaptation so this conclusion seems logical.

That's it for volume 7, not a lot of airtime remaining to finish the remaining volumes. If they've made the decision not to animate spoiler[Guy and the 9 warriors], then the plot is going to take a huge detour from the novels. Time will tell if it's the best decision.

Bones is pretty well known for making original endings for unfinished works, in fact they already stated that it'll be one for this series too. With only a few episodes left they'll likely make their own spin on the final arcs. The cuts you mentioned are likely contributing to the revised ending since they probably don't have time to animate it true to the book.

anywaysspoiler[ Clone Miku er I mean Niva turns into a big gun, also it took both Chaika cooperating to rescue themselves, meanwhile Toru can do it in a single edit
]

Frederica is good for exactly 2 things being a glorified battering ram and being a transport for the team. I can't really even count killing mooks since she can only doing after being beaten once. She's like a Saiyan you have to kick her ass once so she can go Super Saiyan and then kick your ass back
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Considering the last volume for this series hasn't even been published, it's not surprising the studio have had to take things into their own hands.

Frederica actually works hard in this volume, much more than spoiler[slaying the occasional Fayla to pops up]. Her role is also expanded in the book storyline but it doesn't look like that's going to see the light of day with the limits the studio is working under.
L'Imperatore

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:12 pm Reply with quote
SHIT man dat spoiler[rail gun!] Shocked
(And I thought Fredrica was overpowered!)

Next comes a Vivi-centric episode. Cool, it's about time. Cool
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 5:36 am Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 5

Awesome. That was an awesome episode, it was just so much fun. All this talk of original endings or deviations in the comments, it is getting me worried, but personally I found this one of the best episodes of both seasons.

Specifically I quite enjoyed how characters are kept fairly consistent in their actions. Who knew that spoiler[two Chaikas together] could hold a scene? I totally loved seeing spoiler[these two together and their conflicting characteristics, or even similarity when they cover each other's mouth, or saying his name at the same time]. I think White Chaika was super surprised that that her spoiler[hit actually worked], and a smile that she spoiler[stayed to help a girl tied up, who turned out to be a living weapon]. And the return of "shocking truth".

Oh, my favourite line was when spoiler[Akari called Red Chaika "Sticky"]. These are the times Akari shines. I grumbled at her passpoiler[sing Red Chaika's friends, but it is not like they are on friendly terms]. But it worked out, the whole team was just too fun. Can we get an entire season of everyone together?
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:08 am Reply with quote
Good to see some viewers like the original adaptation anyway, a good spur to actually read the novels which inspired this series.

At any rate, the big spoiler[co-op scenes] are supposed to be in the spoiler[last three volumes of the series], but bringing them forward isn't necessarily illogical.

For what it's worth, it was just spoiler[White Chaika and her allies fending off the army of Faylas with Red Chaika and her crew helping to disable the tower Izhmael was holed up in. Frederica hence looks like an extra in the adaptation whereas in the novel Toru would have been killed many times over had she not been around to heal him from Dragoon attacks. ]

There's only 5 episodes left, so it'll be interesting to see what kind of approach will be adopted to finish off the adventure.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:46 am Reply with quote
I've been more or less enjoying this show, but there are still issues with it. I still think the world that they exist in is rather drab, and Chaika feels like a very awkward heroine to me. Her weapon has always seemed totally impractical. (I always feel like any halfway competent bad guy would just kill her off while she's lugging that huge thing around trying to position it.)

I do agree that the character interactions have been fun though. That is the bright spot for this show. The over arching story about the Emperor and his "daughters" is also good.

I feel about the same as I did during the first season. The main difference is that there are good shows this season so Chaika doesn't shine as much as it did when it was up against a bunch of bad shows.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:49 am Reply with quote
Limited budget and decisions on what to adapt were always going to hurt this series, there's a lot more description on the world that Chaika and the others live in but you'd only figure it out from reading the novels. Since the vast majority of users watching this series can't/won't read the books, nothing can be done in that particular respect.

As for Chaika and her rifle, it's testament to the Saboteur siblings (and later Frederica) just how good a job they do in giving her the chance to actually set up and fire the weapon. I don't remember if they made it explicit in the adaptation, but for the novels spoiler[Mages are disdained for their uselessness in close-quarters combat]. Mages like Selma and the vineyard original character are more of an exception than the norm.

Considering how many A-list shows are airing this quarter, it's unfortunate but unsurprising that the series doesn't do well in relation to its competitors. At the very least it's a complete adaptation of a visual novel series, recent ones like Kamisama no Inai Nichiyoubi and Machine Doll wa Kizutsukanai didn't even get that far.
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:33 pm Reply with quote
One of the quotes from the latest episode was kinda cryptic. I think it was spoiler["I saw the hatred within your heart". Regardless, I didn't find Gillett's return to be a surprise. I bet Vivi would be surprised if she ever sees him again though.]

I wonder what else Niva will play in her role in this arc.

As for the spoiler[tournament], I predict that most of the Chaikas will come head to head soon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:35 pm Reply with quote
From this point on, all bets are off as to how the producers are going to finish this series. I can make out a few common points with the novels which this episode is based on, but a lot of it is original and in my opinion serviceable enough for everyone else who has no idea what should be coming next.

It looks like spoiler[the producers figured out a brilliant way to save time on the preliminary rounds ], but the spoiler[co-op scene between Toru and Red Chaika in the battle royale round might well be cut just looking at the trailer. ]

Opinions on the identity of the person eating a trayful of meat dishes in the middle of the episode? It's a good reference to what happened in the book, but cut drastically yet retaining enough mystery.

Guy spoiler[taking Niva Lada away for his own purposes ] is a spoiler[huge deviation from what actually happened. ] If the producers are trying to meet the book halfway in its outcome, they're certainly keeping their cards close to the chest as to what should come next.

One of the best parts of this novel was the duel between spoiler[Toru and Frederica against Gillette and the companion warrior ], but that's not going to happen since spoiler[Gillette didn't lose his arm in the adaptation and his role has changed completely to that of Hartgen's lackey. ]

Again from the trailer, the spoiler[saboteur vs. saboteur battle ] is definitely on. Hopefully that makes up for the change in direction.
L'Imperatore

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Convenient, yes, but I still find it hilarious that the group are relying on Chaika's Gundo to start a fire instead of using traditional method Laughing

Only 4 episodes left, and I begin to doubt if we will get to see the Emperor. C'mon, there's no need to read the light novel to know that he's surely going to be revived... isn't he? Confused
Even if we do see him, I'm afraid he won't have enough screen time, which will lead to the usual, " Wanna know more? Go read the LN!"
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:58 pm Reply with quote
L'Imperatore wrote:
Convenient, yes, but I still find it hilarious that the group are relying on Chaika's Gundo to start a fire instead of using traditional method Laughing

Only 4 episodes left, and I begin to doubt if we will get to see the Emperor. C'mon, there's no need to read the light novel to know that he's surely going to be revived... isn't he? Confused
Even if we do see him, I'm afraid he won't have enough screen time, which will lead to the usual, " Wanna know more? Go read the LN!"

To be fair to her, she can actually pull it off reliably and much faster than her initial failed attempts to do magical cooking in season 1!

Well, if you look at the cover image for this season there's a really old man with white hair in the background. If you've watched the first arc covered in this season, you know who he is. The fun for those who haven't read the novels is HOW he's revived since it's now a question of when and not if.

If the producers want a proper ending, surely it all boils down to everyone vs. the emperor?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:05 am Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 6

I think the best part of this episode was banter from Chaika. Her being super happy with spoiler[the seafood and feeding Niva], followed by the spoiler[back and forward between the two later], and of course her wanspoiler[ting Frederica's help and saying that they are saving her]. Also can't forget a highlight of spoiler[Frederica eating the shellfish, including their shells].

If I had to guess, Niva might have spoiler[went with Guy not because it was an order from him, but because she was following her directive to retrieve the remains]. It looked like the person eating meat spoiler[was a white haired girl, perhaps another Chaika, making the "daughters" clones], or maybe some reveal that spoiler[she is a real Chaika].
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:26 pm Reply with quote
I'm expecting episode 7 to get crazy. We finally get all the Chaikas and the Gilette squad in the same place, plus with Frederica really itching to fight. It's too bad that the show is winding down with only a couple episodes left.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:49 pm Reply with quote
Watched the whole first season. It was an ok show, there are many better ones and since I usually watch stuff selectively, it is below the average quality of the stuff I watch.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 20 of 23