• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Chaika - The Coffin Princess (both seasons) (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:04 am Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 8

It became pretty obvious during the explanation of spoiler[Hartgen's return] what happened. Hartgen is spoiler[not in control, he is a puppet, just like those two "sisters" next to the Chaika on the chair, like what Gillette has been mind controlled]. The spoiler[room full of Chaika's] only confirmed what I already figured out before then.

Seems that the dealio is that that Black Chaika spoiler[preyed on Hartgen after the war and had him think that he had and will become the emperor]. To complete that spoiler[act she created the puppet Chaika's for Hartgen to keep around to feed his delusion]. If I had to guess, Guy spoiler[might be the will of Gaz, and he must favour Black Chaika in some way as he got her Gillette as a new toy. Ironically, whether she know it or not she is most likely a puppet herself, like all Chaika].

I guess the whole thing that their teacher is working for her is meant to kind of make us think about the whole thing of Toru and Akari following White Chaika is that she is kind of a manipulative force. Since they are either following her because of a code or because she designed as a force to gather while looking naïve and needing to be protected.
Wrangler

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:18 pm Reply with quote
I this maybe leading up to spoiler[Toru becoming a Dragoon if he going be able over come his former mentor, Brother Shin. Black Chaika being in control makes sense, i'm wondering if the puppets are former living or something else.]
Key

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 9:
Well, now, that took a pretty nasty turn, didn't it? And just when I was getting ready to criticize it for aping the first season's closing arc too much, too. . .

Not really seeing how they get out of this predicament with only one episode left, although it's pretty clear that spoiler[everyone - the White Chaika team, the Red Chaika team, and the Gillette Squad, maybe even Shin, too - are going to be teaming up to try to do something to stop the reconstituted Emperor.]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Wow. That scene with the spoiler[Black Chaika]....disturbing.

Good buildup from the latest episode with everything in place although I hope it won't be too rushed. But still, how will they fight against that spoiler[Gaz guy? He seems to be near invincible. Guy's probably got some weakness though. I'm hoping Frederica also joins this finale for the upcoming fight.]

My guess is that every character that played some spoiler[sort of role (Chaika, Vivi and her team, others) will join to fight against Gaz.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:24 pm Reply with quote
And for the black Chaika I will add... spoiler[corpse-eating vagina.]
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:06 pm Reply with quote
I'm impressed, somehow the studio managed to weave things round enough spoiler[to finish at the end of the latest released volume. Since the last volume isn't out on the market, the completely original ending everything was working towards get its time to shine next week. ]

It's a much simpler storyline, but many of the important elements from volume 11 have been kept in. spoiler[Black Chaika not dying after she gave birth to Gaz, the omitted fight between Gaz and the 9 new warriors, Red's absence from the resurrection ceremony and the survival of the twins are some of the biggest changes I can tell from a glance, but nearly all of the cast is gathered for the big finale. ]

Gaz using Niva is still impressive here, even if spoiler[it's just to take down a flying fortress in one shot. The difference in power levels when Gaz uses the railgun compared to White Chaika is still very noticeable.]

Hartgen spoiler[gets his just desserts, but Black Chaika and the twins surviving probably means two separate fights with red and white likely to go against their compatriots to earn the right to survive now that their existential role has been fulfilled. ]

Using Guy spoiler[as a mirror for Gaz rather than as the separate entity he is actually makes sense the way studio has structured the final arc, since they've thrown in the original material regarding the flying fortresses in space those will probably be the substitute for what Gaz originally intended in the last volume. ]
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:18 am Reply with quote
Personally, I'm glad there is only one eppie left. I just have not been able to "bond" with this season the way I did with the previous one. I am interested in finding out how everything ends, but that is about the only thing that has dragged me forward. I have found watching the episodes a bit of a chore. And again, I don't think it's any particular fault of the show itself. The first eppie left me cold and I just have never been able to regain my interest balance since then.
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:11 am Reply with quote
A naming convention carried over from Scrapped Princess?
Chaika #spoiler[357]?
That tickled me way more than it should have.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Season 2

Shocking truth!
Wait, no spoiler[I guessed all of this already, that Hartgen is just a puppet to be disposed of, all Chaika including Black were also puppets or tools.] Personally I rather liked this bit we spoiler[saw of Gaz, he created war in the first place to get power. He is pretty much a god so he squashed the annoyance but doesn't mine explaining his plan to people nearby, they are not a threat to him, he does not even have a need to do anything to them]. The plan seems a little convoluted, but it can make sense you consider the spoiler[basis of magic is memories and such, so he was simply sucking up memories and emotions]. I wonder if the one who spoiler[opened the vineyard and did the opposite of what Gaz wanted] could have an effect?

New disturbing Frederica scene, her Dominica form coughing up her cat form like some sick hairball to then leave that there.

In terms of this season being a bit cold, I kind of agree, I miss the adventure of season one which has not been big this season. Not that there has not been content I enjoyed this season. Just that Chaika has already grown, we know what Frederica can do, and really less surprising.
Wrangler

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:29 am Reply with quote
I wonder if the makers of the series will go beyond what the manga had planned. I've been lucky i didn't read the manga as of yet, so i could fully enjoy the series as whole.

Given the events so far, I do wonder if they'll try do something beyond the Manga unless the original author has ideas of its own.
I'd like see how Chaika and her compatriots do in a true post-Emperor Gaz world.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:38 am Reply with quote
what ever they have planned, they only have 1 more episode to get it done
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:58 am Reply with quote
Wrangler wrote:
I wonder if the makers of the series will go beyond what the manga had planned. I've been lucky i didn't read the manga as of yet, so i could fully enjoy the series as whole.

Given the events so far, I do wonder if they'll try do something beyond the Manga unless the original author has ideas of its own.
I'd like see how Chaika and her compatriots do in a true post-Emperor Gaz world.

Considering the source material is a set of novels and the manga itself being an incomplete adaptation of an incomplete series, it's not very surprising that what has aired so far has deviated considerably from what readers are familiar with.

Even the author hasn't released his final volume, so what happens this week is going to be completely original.
L'Imperatore

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Just watched the penultimate episode... Woah, Emperor Gaz is as awesome as you can get: powerful and calculating. Kinda understand why everyone is frozen in shock. Surprised

... And that's why I lament the decision to wrap up the 2nd half in 10 episodes. The Emperor deserves more than 1 and a 1/4 episodes worth of screen time. Sad
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Finale:

Wow, that felt anti climatic. I mean, spoiler[Chaika did save the day at the end with Niva's help. Still, Toru's fight against Gaz was meh. I liked his fight with Shin better.]

Eh, the ending felt abrupt. Going to rate this very good still but I wish it was a bit longer or rather a full season with 12 episodes. Oh well, at least we still have OVA. I'll definitely look forward to that..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:58 pm Reply with quote
"Abrupt" might be an understatement. That needed another half to full episode to properly complete.

Really, I was pretty disappointed with the whole episode, but especially the final five minutes or so. (Well, except for spoiler[that exchange between Akari and Red Chaika at the end.] That was amusing.) It felt like a whimpering end to what was, overall, a pretty good series.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 22 of 23