• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Soul Eater Not! (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:09 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
It looks like Anya is sick of living the ojou-sama life and wants one where she can actually do things like a normal girl.

Which I think is at the root of what leatherhead333 noticed that overcame his antipathy to that character type. I thought it was cute how she ended up being the best and most enthusiastic maid-waitress.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:14 pm Reply with quote
Yes, it was cute...and it was refreshing to see an ojou-sama with a earnest work ethic....instead of lazing around, making others do it and then taking the credit.

I don't know what she thinks she has to lose if she admits how much she wants to be friends with Tsugumi though.
Tsugumi won't make fun of you, Anya! JUST BE FRIENDS.
meiam

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:54 pm Reply with quote
Hum, wasn't sure what the show was gonna be after epi 1, sounds like it's trying to be cute girl doing cute things, but meh, I don't find them particularly cute and there's not really any humor.

Maybe if the MC was interesting, but she seems excessively slow spoiler[(Oh I'm about to get murdered, better not scream or I would wake up my roommate who could help me. Oh I'm getting shaken, better to just give all my living expense, no reason to keep it)]

Maybe it's trying to be too many things for my taste and all the effort in one area undermine the one in others, oh well.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:13 am Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Hum, wasn't sure what the show was gonna be after epi 1, sounds like it's trying to be cute girl doing cute things, but meh

Welps...the ominous witch's shadow in the OP leaves me hoping there's going to be some plot with them in there somewhere....

Witches are Shibusen's (DWMA) greatest nemesis.

What I'd also like is a more in-depth explanation of meisters and weapons, like origins and such. In Soul Eater, you had to just roll with it....and that was kind of frustrating. You really wanted them to explain this crazy world and how things worked and you got squat.

So if Soul Eater Not does this instead, I'd be thrilled.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:20 am Reply with quote
By the way, was Death City identified as being in the US (in Death Vegas) during Soul Eater or is this a Soul Eater Not! innovation?
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:52 am Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
leatherhead333 wrote:
....................So why do i find myself absouletly adoring Anya so much? ;-;

Well, perhaps she really isn't a tsundere -- just acting like one. And rich girls don't often have to live on a meager allowance like that so she really isn't that either.

Well it does look like we have a threesome show here and all very light hearted. I don't mind but if they do build up to a life-and-death struggle it sure will be a contrast to what we are seeing now.

That housekeeper is a piece of work.

PS: My spell auto-correct keeps changing "tsundere" into "thunder." How annoying.

Interestingly enough a couple people have told me the same thing elsewhere. Makes a lot of sense when i think about it. But even if she's only pretending to be a tsundere how can you tell she still isn't one? Is that even something you can pretend to do outside of joking about it? I mean she very much acts like one whenever the characters ask her about stuff but I really can't tell if she's doing it on purpose or if it's based of instinct.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:41 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
By the way, was Death City identified as being in the US (in Death Vegas) during Soul Eater or is this a Soul Eater Not! innovation?

Yep. This is canon to the Soul Eater manga. Why they refused to mention it in the anime is beyond me...but they tell you in the first volume.

I definitely think Anya's a tsundere....she's just not the violent kind. lol
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:47 am Reply with quote
Episode 2

I think what makes Anya different is that she is really earnest, which is not an inherent trait for a tsundere or rich girl. Lol at Tsgumi when she realised that Anya has not figured out spoiler[that Josephine has balls].

And I have never heard of the spoiler[Pig card], the reactions were funny. Or her look over thinking of whatever spoiler[happened that ended up having Tsugumi tied up and used as a hug pillow].
Bolaum

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:39 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Episode 2

I think what makes Anya different is that she is really earnest, which is not an inherent trait for a tsundere or rich girl. Lol at Tsgumi when she realised that Anya has not figured out spoiler[that Josephine has balls].

Woah how the hell did I miss this part? Damn I'm gonna watch it again.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:11 am Reply with quote
So Death City is in the U.S. and yet its menus seem to consist entirely of Japanese food and Japanese job placement magazines.

Riiiiight. Rolling Eyes

That aside, I am actually enjoying the series so far (and I'm not normally a big fan of "cute girls do cute things" fare or Soul Eater), so I'll probably keep watching for now. Anya is really growing on me.

Last edited by Key on Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:20 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:23 am Reply with quote
Thanks for the info, Chiibi. Interesting that the geographic location was mentioned in the manga, but not the anime. I was pretty sure there had never been any mention of "Death Vegas" or the US but it's nice to have confirmation.
Treeborn

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:42 am Reply with quote
Really liking this series. I smile every time I see something made in Lord Death's image lol (Tsugumi's tie and Anya's collar clip)
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Episode 3:

Well this episode explained more mechanics like spoiler[NOT and EAT. Still, I'm glad Kim] got more highlight in this episode. Damn, she sure changed a bit from her past self according to that brief flashback there.

Anyways, I find spoiler[Kim to be quite an interesting character with some helpful gadgets at her disposal like that bandage. Still, there's something dark going on behind the scenes. I guess we'll see it manifest later on. This episode already showed some antagonism when Anya was attacked.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:48 pm Reply with quote
There have been a number of remarks at the difference in artwork between the original SE and SE-NOT. One thing they kept is the architecture of the classroom. I wonder why.

I want to see Medusa. She's good stuff.

Next week: More Maka!
Key

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:10 am Reply with quote
Normally I am not a big fan of "cute for cute's sake" fare. Thus I cannot fathom why I continue to like this one as much, as there isn't all that much to it so far beyond the cute. Maybe I'm just cute-deprived, or maybe Anya just continues to prove to be one of the most likable "haughty princess" characters in recent memory.

Whatever. This is one is locked into my regular-watch list for the season.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9