• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Avengers Confidential: Black Widow & Punisher BD+DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Just-another-face

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:46 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
This is just something I've wondered, but you really don't like Japanese voices on Marvel characters, do you? Not trying to you call you out on it or anything, just saying. XD

Let's just say I was glad that Marvel characters never got Japanese voices in MvC3 and UMvC3. It would have been terrible. Just look at the idiot topics that got made back in the day:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/995375-marvel-vs-capcom-3-fate-of-two-worlds/58008800

That Marvel Disk Wars nonsense also leaves a bad taste in my mouth, for a number of reasons. When I took a plane trip to Europe a couple of years ago, they had multiple language options for various movies. To name a couple of non-Marvel examples, I tried out How to Train Your Dragon and Madagascar 2 dubbed in Japanese (out of curiosity) and they were just plain awful to my ears.

Araki wrote:
I assure you that 99% of non-American viewers will take the Japanese dub over the American one, as the english-speaking voice actors are nobodies to us. It may sound rude, but it's just a fact.

Black Widow, for instance, is voiced by freaking Miyuki Sawashiro, like in the Iron Man movie. That alone is a reason to watch it in Japanese.

Are you freaking kidding me with this post? I don't know whether to shake my head or laugh at your insane fanboy rant. Nobodies? These characters were voiced in English first by various voice actors over the years before the Japanese ever considered dubbing even one episode of any Marvel cartoon. It's like you're saying Hulk sounds better in Japanese and should never have an English voice again. O_o

Last edited by Just-another-face on Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:57 am; edited 1 time in total
labmember001

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:53 pm Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:
Araki wrote:

I assure you that 99% of non-American viewers will take the Japanese dub over the American one, as their voice actors mean nothing to us.

Black Widow, for instance, is voiced by freaking Miyuki sawashiro, like in the Iron Man movie.
That seems like a strange assurance, given that 99% of non Americans would include the likes of the British and Canadians far before the Japanese. I have a sneaking suspicion they will also go for the English voice before the Japanese.

I actually have the opinion that most of the world would go for the English over the Japanese when it comes to something like this.

Unless they actually care about quality. If they'd gone with the cast from the live-action movies, sure it would be amazing. But the American voice actors they picked have never even dubbed an anime before. This isn't even close to Funimation level dubs. The Japanese dub is done by veteran superstars that actually make the series watchable. If it is the same cast for the Japanese version as previously, that is a huge deal for anyone who genuinely cares about the Marvel series, or anime in general.
Guile

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:00 pm Reply with quote
I make it a rule to watch everything in the original language, so I would watch this in Japanese. I am also watching Disk Wars Avengers in Japanese. I see no issue with them having Japanese voices, especially if these products are Japanese to begin with. Given the variety of voice actors who voiced these characters in various portrayals, there is not exactly a set English voice for any of these characters to begin with.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:00 pm Reply with quote
labmember001 wrote:

Unless they actually care about quality. If they'd gone with the cast from the live-action movies, sure it would be amazing. But the American voice actors they picked have never even dubbed an anime before. This isn't even close to Funimation level dubs. The Japanese dub is done by veteran superstars that actually make the series watchable. If it is the same cast for the Japanese version as previously, that is a huge deal for anyone who genuinely cares about the Marvel series, or anime in general.

Fred Tatasciore, Kari Wahlgren, Matthew Mercer, JB Blanc, Grant George and Kyle Hebert have never done dubbed anime work before? That is highly incorrect.

Last edited by belvadeer on Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Araki

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:
I actually have the opinion that most of the world would go for the English over the Japanese when it comes to something like this.

If the characters were voiced by Downey Jr, Scarlett Johansson, etc...then, sure. But international anime viewers would never take unknown english voice actors over the likes of Miyuki Sawashiro and Keiji Fujiwara, i assure you that.

Just-another-face wrote:
Nobodies? These characters were voiced in English first by various voice actors over the years before the Japanese ever considered dubbing even one episode of any Marvel cartoon.

...again, those "various" english voice actors mean absolutely nothing to non-American fans that grew up watching cartoons with their own dubs around the world.
Say what you want, your precious voice actors are a bunch of nobodies to us. I mean, how do you feel about brazillian or spanish voice actors? You know what i mean now?

You're biased to talk about this, since you're obviously American.
It's just likely that anime fans who are not American, if need to select between well known Japanese voice actors and unknown voice actors, they will go with the former.
There's nothing fanboyish about that, it's just natural. There's no reason to be different.

By the way, by your logic, then anime should never get any kind of foreign dubbing, since they are Japanese characters and should speak Japanese only. Right? That's ridiculous.
Just-another-face

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Araki wrote:
By the way, by your logic, then anime should never get any kind of foreign dubbing, since they are Japanese characters and should speak Japanese only. Right? That's ridiculous.

Wrong, that's not what I'm saying at all. But I imagine that would make you happy, since by your logic, English voice actors are just nobodies to you.

Last edited by Just-another-face on Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Key

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:08 pm Reply with quote
labmember001 wrote:
If it is the same cast for the Japanese version as previously, that is a huge deal for anyone who genuinely cares about the Marvel series, or anime in general.

Uh, no. No, it's not. I was a Marvel fan long before I was an anime fan, and I don't give a rat's ass about the Japanese dub on this one. In fact, I don't like hearing any of the Marvel characters who aren't actually Japanese voiced in Japanese and would only watch these Marvel Madhouse titles subbed if I had no choice about it. I only put the "lack of translated Japanese credits" down as a negative in this review because uncredited voice roles - whether in English or Japanese - annoy me.

And I'm pretty sure I am far from alone on this.

(And the Japanese credits are now in the Encyclopedia entry, BTW, as I arranged to have Emperor Brandon translate them.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:17 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Unless they actually care about quality. If they'd gone with the cast from the live-action movies, sure it would be amazing.
Is this just going to be "It's Japanese so it's better"? Because I'm already annoyed with that as it is.

I don't know if the English VO isn't quality, but I don't see how it automatically isn't.

Quote:
But the American voice actors they picked have never even dubbed an anime before. This isn't even close to Funimation level dubs.
But they all seem to be professional voice actors in general or just actors. Some of them seem pretty good so I don't get the problem.
Quote:

The Japanese dub is done by veteran superstars that actually make the series watchable.
I guess if you're into Japanese voice actors, but I'm pretty sure 90% of the people picking this up from Walmart and Target don't give a shit about them. This isn't for anime fans.

Quote:
If it is the same cast for the Japanese version as previously, that is a huge deal for anyone who genuinely cares about the Marvel series, or anime in general.
I'm not really seeing the connection. If you care about Marvel you probably care about American comics and you probably want to hear American characters in English. Those who think otherwise are probably in the minority on this one.
Quote:

Fred Tatasciore, Kari Wahlgren, Matthew Mercer, JB Blanc, Grant George and Kyle Hebert have never done dubbed anime work before? That is highly incorrect.
Those are actually all good voice actors. I guess the guy was wrong.

Quote:
If the characters were voiced by Downey Jr, Scarlett Johansson, etc...then, sure. But international anime viewers would never take unknown english voice actors over the likes of Miyuki Sawashiro and Keiji Fujiwara, i assure you that.
I really think you're over estimating how many people who call them selves anime fans actually watch things in Japanese or care about the Japanese cast. I mean you are really over estimating. Especially when it comes to something that is going to be seen as an English property first and foremost.

I assure you, you are pretty wrong on this.

Last edited by Rahxephon91 on Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:45 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:19 pm Reply with quote
Guile wrote:

I make it a rule to watch everything in the original language, so I would watch this in Japanese.

I'm not sure there's an original language for this direct-to-video. I think the March 25, 2014 date was a global release.
Guile

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:23 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
I'm not sure there's an original language for this direct-to-video. I think the March 25, 2014 date was a global release.

That is true I suppose, these types of projects are hard to pin down. I generally view co-productions on a case by case basis. Disk Wars, for example, is clearly more anime than other co-productions. It has an actual opening animation and premiered in Japan first, where as another co-production, such as Monsuno, did not have Japanese opening animation and premiered in America first. The Japanese opening was just a clip show, sadly. With co-productions it seems to vary just how much creative control is in each side's hands for each project and you have to feel it out. Some are more cartoon and some are more anime.
Araki

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:26 pm Reply with quote
Just-another-face wrote:
Wrong, that's not what I'm saying at all. But I imagine that would make you happy, since by your logic, English voice actors are just nobodies to you.

It seems you don't understand. People from countries who don't speak English grew up watching Marvel characters speaking their own idioms, their own dubs. Unlike you, we never heard these characters speaking English before the live action movies. So between well-known Japanese voice actors (who we're used to) and American actors that we've never heard of, why the hell should we go with the latter?
Like i said, if listening to Marvel characters speaking Japanese is so absurd, then i guess Japanese anime characters speaking English or any other language is just as wrong. That's EXACTLY your logic, i'm just reversing it. And both are ridiculous.

I think it's very presumptuous to assume the whole world should have some sort of attachment to the English voices. It's ignoring the whole picture.

Rahxephon91 wrote:
I really think you're over estimating how many people who call them selves anime fans actually watch things in Japanese or care about the Japanese cast. I mean you are really over estimating. Especially when it comes to something that is going to be seen as an English property first and foremost.

I assure you, you are pretty wrong on this.

No, i'm pretty sure i'm not. See, the problem is that you're talking about American anime fans, and i'm not. Any people from the US or another english-speaking country will be biased about this.

The thing is, i don't know one single person in my country that would watch anime in English. In our dub? Sure, but not in English. If this was a cartoon, then that would be a different deal. I don't watch this in English, the same way i wouldn't watch The Simpsons or a Pixar movie in Japanese.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:29 pm Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:
Those actually all good voice actors. I guess the guy was wrong.

The guy is wrong. I mean, seriously, Fred's the current voice of Hulk and a lot of folks agree that he has been the most definitive voice for the Jade Giant in many years. Fred's also done minor voice work in some anime and anime-style games like Jeanne D'Arc, so he's not a total newbie at it or anything.
Guile

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:32 pm Reply with quote
I believe his point was that those people would only be relevant to Americans. I am not American so I can not say I have heard of him.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:39 pm Reply with quote
Guile wrote:
I believe his point was that those people would only be relevant to Americans. I am not American so I can not say I have heard of him.

That's the problem though. Even if one has never heard of them, it pays to do a little research on the subject. Saying "those actors have never done voice work in anime before" clearly shows ignorance on the person's part. I understand that if the person isn't English voice savvy, they wouldn't know, but uninformed blanket statements like that are what cause these sub/dub wars in the first place. Besides, ANN has links to the actors and their various roles in anime and games. A simple link clink tells it all.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:02 am Reply with quote
Quote:
No, i'm pretty sure i'm not. See, the problem is that you're talking about American anime fans, and i'm not. Any people from the US or another english-speaking country will be biased about this.
Oh you mean like a good portion of Asia where Animax airs English dubs of anime, even going so far to as making Animax specific dubs. English is far more prevalent around the world then Japanese.

I'm not saying non-English speakers would listen to English primarily. I'm saying if they could they'd probably want to listen in thier own language, before even Japanese. Will this have a French dub? A German dub? No, it will probably default to English in most regions and that's what people will keep it at. Plus, this is seen as an American property as well.

But most of it's sales will probably come from English speaking nations where the people buying it don't give a crap about Japanese anyway. So you're 99% non-American thing is still pretty wrong.

Quote:
The thing is, i don't know one single person in my country that would watch anime in English. In our dub? Sure, but not in English. If this was a cartoon, then that would be a different deal. I don't watch this in English, the same way i wouldn't watch The Simpsons or a Pixar movie in Japanese.
That's nice, but this isn't going to be really seen as a Japanese thing. It will be seen as an Avenger's related material first and foremost. Which a good portion of people probably saw in English. A majority of the people watching this aren't anime fans and don't have this wish to see Japanese pop culture in it's pure forum.

Guile wrote:
That dosen't make much sense when you also try to push the Japanese VAs. " No one" outside of Japan knows or care's about them either.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4