• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Avengers Confidential: Black Widow & Punisher BD+DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Just-another-face wrote:
Alunimus wrote:
Wrong. Many people who appreciate anime watch it with the original voice acting. Because, y'know, that's how it was originally supposed to be watched. And there's also a fact that most of the dubs are complete crap, especially compared to the original.

Wrong. Those who watch and like anime know about Japanese voice actors and can recognize at least the most popular ones. And I'm not talking about some average Joe who picks random cartoon to watch but of people which really interested in Japanese animation. I mean, serously, how could an anime fan not know voices of Sawashiro Miyuki, Tomokazu Sugita and other popular seyuu?

And I'm absolutely sure that there are a lot of people who like both anime and comics, those willing to enjoy such projects not only with English dub.

*Many people who appreciate anime watch it with the original voice acting.

So according to your backwards cave logic, those of us who enjoy English dubs of anime don't appreciate anime at all, despite we spend more than most do on Blu-Rays and DVDs. Are you for real?

Because, y'know, that's how it was originally supposed to be watched.

According to who? You? And who are you exactly, the great anime dictator?

*And there's also a fact that most of the dubs are complete crap, especially compared to the original.

Yawn, only seen this statement for the umpteenth time. Moving on because no one who ever says it can back it up.

*I mean, serously, how could an anime fan not know voices of Sawashiro Miyuki, Tomokazu Sugita and other popular seyuu?

Uh, easily? It doesn't matter to everyone to know these things. Not everyone cares like you obsessively do.

*And I'm absolutely sure that there are a lot of people who like both anime and comics, those willing to enjoy such projects not only with English dub.

...You are aware the Avengers are not anime characters, correct? You make it sound like they now belong to Japan just because Madhouse made this painfully uninteresting...thing. I'm afraid to burst your weak bubble, but you are in the niche minority if you think anything is better just because Japan made it.

I like to back you (and Rahxephon91) up on your argument, I said this on another thread:

I wrote:
So what about anime like Batman: Gotham Knight, and Halo Legends?? How should we watch those anime, English or Japanese?? OK, for Japanese, that would somewhat make sense because it's an anime, but here's the problem: it will be weird for English speakers to hear Batman and Master Chief speaking Japanese because we're not used to hearing them speaking Japanese. Now it would make sense to watch it in English but here's the problem: it's anime, it was done in Japan by principle (and by your logic), it should be watched in Japanese, if I watch anime in English that would be unacceptable and make me a bad anime fan if I watch it in English when I should be watching it in Japanese because according to your logic, "it's anime, it should be watched in Japanese". You see what I'm talking about. So how should people in US watch Batman: Gotham Knight and Halo Legends?? Japanese or English??

Also your logic has problem:

Afro Samurai: that anime doesn't have any Japanese voice at all. When Afro Samurai was shown in Japan, on TV with Japanese subtitle, no Japanese dub was made for that show.

Little Nemo: This is an anime, and this was a US-Japanese co-productions and this was made with a US audiences in mind. The songs and voice-acting was done in English first and the movie later got dubbed in Japanese. But here's the weird twist: Little Nemo was released first in Japan in 1989, it didn't get a US release until 1992 despite the movie was made with an American audiences in mind not Japanese audiences. So Little Nemo was made with a US audiences in mind first yet it came out first in Japan, then US 3 years later.

So your logic of if it's made in Japan, then you should watch it in Japanese is ridiculous and there are many examples that your logic doesn't work.

@Alunimus: If you say Japanese voice acting are better, so does Modern Warfare 2 sound better in Japanese despite the dub being heavily criticized by Japanese fans. What about Bioshock?? Does this sound better in Japanese then in English?? Does Gears of War sound better in Japanese then in English, if you say yes then you just lost all credibility and legitimacy on this thread.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Anton Chigurh

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Holy guacamole, they are having Frank Castle hang out with the protagonists of the biggest superhero movie ever? On the COVER ART, no less? I hope this leads children of all ages to track down Castle's greatest hits, like Garth Ennis' MAX run. They're seriously great comics. While I'm not super-big on his Marvel Knights stuff, it can make you laugh at times, so it's also a solid choice.

Don't take too long to make your minds up.
labmember001

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:51 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
@Alunimus: If you say Japanese voice acting are better, so does Modern Warfare 2 sound better in Japanese despite the dub being heavily criticized by Japanese fans. What about Bioshock?? Does this sound better in Japanese then in English?? Does Gears of War sound better in Japanese then in English, if you say yes then you just lost all credibility and legitimacy on this thread.

If anything you are proving his point. Those Japanese dubs are poor because they didn't do a good job casting and dubbing (probably because those aren't big sellers in Japan). Conversely, dubs of Marvel characters are not instantly better because they're American, if the casting is poor.

And as those games are designed by American companies, in Aluminus' own words he'd use the English audio (the original way it was meant to be viewed). All your argument is saying that American produced shows have a better English dub, which is exactly what we've been saying about Japanese made productions. The nation a show is made in has much more at stake, so they usually try a lot harder on the casting; plus being able to sync animation to voice makes a huge difference.
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:03 pm Reply with quote
labmember001 wrote:
mdo7 wrote:

If anything you are proving his point. Those Japanese dubs are poor because they didn't do a good job casting and dubbing (probably because those aren't big sellers in Japan). Conversely, dubs of Marvel characters are not instantly better because they're American, if the casting is poor.

And as those games are designed by American companies, in Aluminus' own words he'd use the English audio (the original way it was meant to be viewed). All your argument is saying that American produced shows have a better English dub, which is exactly what we've been saying about Japanese made productions. The nation a show is made in has much more at stake, so they usually try a lot harder on the casting; plus being able to sync animation to voice makes a huge difference.

Actually, I suspected Aluminus to be a Japanophile, that's why I'm asking him if Japanese voice sound better in American stuff then the original English voice. Smile

Also Aluminus said he like Miyuki Sawashiro, I wonder if he will say that Elizabeth in Bioshock Infinite sound sooo much better in Japanese then in English because she is voiced by Miyuki Sawashiro for the Japanese dub. If I see him saying "F**k Courtnee Draper, Miyuki Sawashiro is so much better then that dumb American bi**h, Japanese Elizabeth FTW!!!! All hail Nippon!!!", then what does that tell you??? Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Just-another-face

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:45 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
Actually, I suspected Aluminus to be a Japanophile, that's why I'm asking him if Japanese voice sound better in American stuff then the original English voice.

I have a strong suspicion he is.

Quote:
If I see him saying "F**k Courtnee Draper, Miyuki Sawashiro is so much better then that dumb American bi**h, Japanese Elizabeth FTW!!!! All hail Nippon!!!", then what does that tell you???

While he probably won't say just like that (unless he wants to embarrass himself beyond belief), if he does outright say something along those lines, then I've got the perfect thing to say in response. So far, he hasn't posted any other replies here likely because he figured if he jumped in to say his piece about Japanese voices being superior to English, he can jump out of the board without getting his post refuted and not have to try and defend his claim. Which he likely can't since his post is so full of crap, it's beyond hysterical.
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:26 pm Reply with quote
Just-another-face wrote:
mdo7 wrote:
Actually, I suspected Aluminus to be a Japanophile, that's why I'm asking him if Japanese voice sound better in American stuff then the original English voice.

I have a strong suspicion he is.

Quote:
If I see him saying "F**k Courtnee Draper, Miyuki Sawashiro is so much better then that dumb American bi**h, Japanese Elizabeth FTW!!!! All hail Nippon!!!", then what does that tell you???

While he probably won't say just like that (unless he wants to embarrass himself beyond belief), if he does outright say something along those lines, then I've got the perfect thing to say in response. So far, he hasn't posted any other replies here likely because he figured if he jumped in to say his piece about Japanese voices being superior to English, he can jump out of the board without getting his post refuted and not have to try and defend his claim. Which he likely can't since his post is so full of crap, it's beyond hysterical.

That's why I'm hoping he would be foolish enough to say it out loud (like he's proud or something) on this board. If he did say something like that, then he would lost legitimancy. But so far he's not showing up, I guess he's backing down hopefully.
Just-another-face

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:34 pm Reply with quote
labmember001 wrote:
No, according to the director, producer, animators, etc. Everyone actually involved in making the anime.

Nope.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4