• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Natural Resources

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sailor S

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Tamaria wrote:
When I opened this topic I hoped it be seven pages of people going 'Yay, Wild Arms!". Now I'm sad Sad

Yay, Wild Arms!

I too wish it was more about Wild Arms and not 8 pages of the same people trying to define what is or is not sexism, but having pissing matches is what those people enjoy more than anything, so I guess Wild Arms will have to wait for another day. Maybe if all the characters in Wild Arms started wearing high heels...
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Mister Ryan Andrews wrote:
Rahxephon91 wrote:
And now this spin happened, the "actually you guys are down on women" spin.

No, I'm saying you guys are down on someone who has PTSD. Her gender means jack all in this instance. Stop trying to spin everything to be about gender.

Move the goalposts around! That'll throw 'em off your scent!
Paul Soth

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:
And now this spin happened, the "actually you guys are down on women" spin.

No, I'm saying you guys are down on someone who has PTSD. Her gender means jack all in this instance. Stop trying to spin everything to be about gender.

Shenl742

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Cripes, is this guy TitanXL, returning to haunt us?
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
You used the gender identifier, not me.

Quote:
How? This is the second time she's displayed PTSD so its consistent if nothing else. Who are you to tell someone if they're allowed to have PTSD or not or if it makes sense for them?
Well, for one Samus is not a nuanced character. So there really isn't much going on in her character to make us understand that she has actual PTSD other then the big instances of it. If you want to use this excuse then fine, I guess now the argument is actually that it's just a poorly written take on on PTSD done with no real understanding about it beyond shallow means.

2nd, fictional characters go through arcs and it's bad to make them go through the same arcs again. You don't have a character get over a girl as his major arc/character development and then do it again. It's just bad writing.

She's already dealt with Ripley. It really makes no sense to show her being scared of something she's already overcome. If they want to make a point of showing that Samus still has fear then it really should be of something we haven't seen before.

Quote:
This link dosen't work and I actually don't care what it says. This is now real over analyzing and projecting something serious on a character that while she may be a fun character, is not one who is excessively deep. It also only highlights how poorly she has been developed thanks to Other M.

Quote:
Maybe people should ask themselves why Samus might go into dangerous areas alone without a care for her well being and is seemingly is a loner. Everyone she knows ends up dead and it leaves her more and more disturbed with each passing game.
Except in other games when people died she did'nt get too emotional and carried on. She goes into these dangerous situations because she is a badass mercenary in a video game. It's really never had that much depth in the character, which is fine. There is enough for an action game heroine. If they want to add an extra layer of character to her that would also be fine. Too bad they do it in a pretty bad game in a game pretty far in the timeline. Fusion being the furthest and showing nothing of this.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Paul Soth wrote:
Has anyone else actually played Fusion? Where Samus has an extensive internal dialog throughout the game.

don't forget about the animals she saved on zebes right before the planet explode onto her ship. As payback the said same animals being kept at the space colony in fusion saved her life by controlling the ship so the omega metriod wouldn't destroy it.

I know not many have ever payed attention to this before but it does speak a bit about her character and shows that samus is a kind, caring person.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mister Ryan Andrews

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:
You used the gender identifier, not me.

And you chose to focus on that rather than the PTSD part.

Quote:
Well, for one Samus is not a nuanced character. So there really isn't much going on in her character to make us understand that she has actual PTSD other then the big instances of it. If you want to use this excuse then fine, I guess now the argument is actually that it's just a poorly written take on on PTSD done with no real understanding about it beyond shallow means.

2nd, fictional characters go through arcs and it's bad to make them go through the same arcs again. You don't have a character get over a girl as his major arc/character development and then do it again. It's just bad writing.

She's already dealt with Ripley. It really makes no sense to show her being scared of something she's already overcome. If they want to make a point of showing that Samus still has fear then it really should be of something we haven't seen before.

You really should read that article. Not sure why the link doesn't work but just google the title and it'll pop up. Both of them express their disgust at comments like yours who try to rationalize mental disorders as 'bad writing' or 'got over it'. They also discuss it in-universe. About being haunted by a murderer they thought they originally killed coming back suddenly.

Sorry, but I'm siding with the psychologists and war veterans on this one. You can not care what they say if you want but let's not use the phrase bad writing on something like this.

Quote:
Except in other games when people died she did'nt get too emotional and carried on.

When exactly did it ever not affect her?

Ridley killing her biological family: It affected her
Ridley killing her adopted family: It affected her
Mother Brain killing her baby: It affected her
Her CO Sacrificing Himself: It affected her
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
And you chose to focus on that rather than the PTSD part.
Because thats the way you worded your sentence. Maybe, be careful with how you word them next time.

Quote:
You really should read that article. Not sure why the link doesn't work but just google the title and it'll pop up.
Actually, reading on article on a serious matter being used to defend a crappy game in the last thing I want to read from a website that makes up it's data.
Quote:

Both of them express their disgust at comments like yours who try to rationalize mental disorders as 'bad writing' or 'got over it'.

First of all. You gotta be careful when say crap like this, because you very well don't know who the hell you're talking to.

2nd of all. Jesus, the spinning. No one's rationalizing anything. Except you actually. I'm saying that nowhere in the actual games has the storytelling been good enough to actually handle these topics in a serious matter. No one is hand waving PTSD or actual mental issues. Nowhere has any Metriod game deployed this characterization with such skill as to make me think it's actually trying to use these topics well. PTSD and actual mental issues pop up in shallow ways such as in metriod Other M where she shows no signs of suffering from this until she of course does. It is in fact terrible writing, because you actually have to make a character with PTSD, not just shove it in one scene for shock and then drop it. Which is what Metriod Other M does.

It is bad writing. How about you tell us how it isn't instead of some lame attempt to seem self righteous. How about you stop attempting(as you did with "why are you guys attempting to trash a PTSD character") the position the people you are disagreeing with as the bad guys?

Quote:
Sorry, but I'm siding with the psychologists and war veterans on this one. You can not care what they say if you want but let's not use the phrase bad writing on something like this.
Well I guess it's easier then coming up with your own argument and it strokes your ego. Nevertheless, I haven't heard from you why it's bad writing. Unless you think characters devolving at the slightest moment of tension is actual good writing Especially when there's been no build up or foreshadowing. No real characterization in the game before hand that hints at character going through this. Also the character is back to normal after it and never ever seems to care that it happen.

This is good writing? This is a good use of PTSD?

Please, tell us in your words.

Quote:
When exactly did it ever not affect her?

In the actual games, Samus does not really freak out like she does in Other M. Yes of course she freaked out when her parents died. She wasn't yet the Samus we know. She wasn't the character who faced down Ridley. Duh.

No she does not get emotional like she does in Other M. You seem to not understand what stoic means. It doesn't mean silent or unemotional.

Last edited by Rahxephon91 on Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:41 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Chagen46

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

Move the goalposts around! That'll throw 'em off your scent!

At this point the goalposts are in another country.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Ryan Andrews.

You want us to take Other M's use of PTSD seriously. You want us to believe that Samus is going through a realistic version of it. This is in the same series where you also want us to know that it rewards you with fanserivce shots of the character's ass. Do you not see the problem here?

You're proof is an article where the people interviewed are basically asked without context "is this a good depiction of PTSD". They aren't people who are storytellers and there are no questions about actual storytelling. These people also don't seem to have much history with the series.

So there is'nt much talk about how the series' story has handled the character or even the issue itself.

It's like using an article where someone says yeah "Call of Duty Ghost's use of weapons is realistic" and then using that to prove that CoD is a realistic take on war. Maybe the guns do in fact look and behave like real guns. That dosen't make CoD a realistic take on war. It dosen't say much about CoD other then they imitated something.

Last edited by Rahxephon91 on Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:19 pm; edited 3 times in total
AnimenexuS

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Can't resist GOAL!!!
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:54 pm Reply with quote
Jave wrote:

Being rocket high heels. Plus they make her look good Wink

Admittedly that should be the defense for most things: "screw you, rocket heels."
ATastySub
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Where's our soccer (or better yet hockey) anime where the goalkeeper magically changes where the posts are anytime someone shoots? That'd be a lot more entertaining than watching a person I disagree with politically do it.
|comicchaser|

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:32 pm Reply with quote
FYI she's not a bounty hunter, that was a mistranslated

Yeah no… I don't own the Famicom game, so I can't check that one but I do own the japanese version of Super Metroid and on the first few pages of the manual's story overview, it clearly says bounty hunter (in fact they use both the english and the japanese term for it). Same goes for the manuals of all Metroid games after SuperM. She is also somtimes called „space warrior“ or "space hunter" (which is also used in other english manuals) but that's it. Don't know where you got the idea from that it's a mistranslation. It's not.
There's also a sub-entry for that term on the japanese Metroid Wiki page btw. where the occupation is described as being close to that of a mercenary.

Meanwhile, the Japanese one shows Samus in her underwear, and talking about how she has to rescue the Baby Metroid because it thinks she's its mother.

Could you link that one? I only know the japanese SuperMetroid cm (which is the same as the one at the end of the linked promo video) with the scientists at the beginning, in which Samus herself doesn't say a single word.

The only thing one can produce as evidence for official characterization of Samus pre-Other M is the promotion video you've linked. Besides that, it seems there wasn't anything of that sort, even in Japan, so it's a kind of shaky claim that she was promoted differently there. Especially looking at the relevance and range of such promotional material during that time.

Where the series really took a turn was with Fusion or rather the release of that godawful Manga from 2002, which became the basis for Samus' characterization and official backstory later, namely for Other M. Before that, as some have stated already, there never even was any official or relevant characterization and nothing that hinted on it or clearly pointed in one or the other direction. Especially not in the games themselves. And that was exactly the trick. Always has been with a lot of Nintendo characters.

And what could „localization“ even have to do with it in a series, where there was hardly ever a word spoken? There's also no hint of characterization in any of the japanese manuals of the games before Other M. And the translations of both the scripts of Fusion and Other M are pretty close to the original ones. Though there are naturally slight differences in some parts, none of those change the „tone“ or how the character is being depicted.
In the japanese Super Metroid manual it said, that Samus is a person shrouded in mistery and even Fusion was still pretty „subtle“ in-game with the inner monologues and due to the fact that it neither had facial expressions (with one exception), nor voice acting. Saying that the series and Samus always have been depicted as in Other M is simply nonsense. And it wasn't much different if at all in Japan.
Again, it's obvious that the series took a new direction at the time of Fusion's release with the release of the Manga and it being declared as canon (and thus offering a "real" official characterization for the first time). And only later did it have a real impact on the games themselves with the release of OM, when it was finally adopdted.
Same goes for the sexualization. Though it had always been there, it reached a whole different level with Fusion and later the Zero Suit.

It may very well be that the director had always imagined the series and it's universe as it was eventually depicted in Other M. That doesn't change the fact though, that the series, especially the games themselves, stayed pretty neutral in their depiction until OM's release. And that's exactly why it raised so many eyebrows while most people were still pretty okay with the way Fusion handled things.

Last edited by |comicchaser| on Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:35 am; edited 1 time in total
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:
You want us to take Other M's use of PTSD and believe that Samus is going through a realistic version of it. This is in the same series where you want us to know that it rewards you with fanserivce shots of the character's ass. Do you not see the problem here?

Yeeaaaah, there's something a little twisted about trying to mix fanservice with PTSD.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 9 of 11