• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Natural Resources

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brimfyre

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:56 pm Reply with quote
animehermit wrote:
It has nothing to do with that though. If she wanted to be taller she could have worn boots. This is just an attempt to make her more feminine, when she really doesn't need it.

Giving examples of women who wear heals doesn't really stop this from being dumb. Heels themselves aren't the issue, it's the treatment of the character that is.

What are you even talking about? She is in a trailer for a fighting game. What treatment of her character could you have garnered from that? And please don't bring up Other M, that has nothing to do with this conversation.

I didn't even notice those heels until you started complaining about them.

I can't fathom how people can just pour over every little detail of something, looking for something to be offended over.

IT'S JUST SHOOOOOES!

The world has gone insane.
Mee Deggi The Punisher

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:00 pm Reply with quote
So now high heals are offensive? I'm really starting to hate the internet.
Mister Ryan Andrews

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:02 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
Super Smash Bros. Wii U/3DS: I swear the Pokemon fans are as out of control and insane as usual. Some folks said Greninja was a waste of a character slot while others said they were disappointed in the choice all together. What do the Pokefans do? They explode into defensive posts one after another and accuse the "detractors" of so many things that it would take more than one post to explain it all. What is wrong with that fandom anyway?

I find Pokemon reveals to be weak myself. They just seem like a cop out to me since they're not 'real characters' per say. I'll accept Pikachu and Pokemon Trainer, which was a creative idea, but just adding random Pokemon when you could add other things just seems kinda weak to me.

AsherFischell wrote:
She doesn't need sexy accessories, she's a goddamn space bounty hunter who explores alien worlds on her own.

animehermit wrote:
This is just an attempt to make her more feminine, when she really doesn't need it.

Samus has always been feminine, guys. It's part of her character. That's why we get rewarded to see her in a bikini if we beat the game fast enough.

FYI she's not a bounty hunter, that was a mistranslated, though some American media still insists she's a bounty hunter for whatever reason. She's not called that in the Japanese version. She doesn't explore them 'on her own' either, she often gets told by the GFD to do it, outside of Super Metroid where she went back to Zebes on her own to rescue the Baby Metroid.

Last edited by Mister Ryan Andrews on Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chagen46

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:03 pm Reply with quote
They're not offensive per se. But they are incredibly goddamn stupid, out of character, and sexist. There is zero reason for Samus to wear them. They look idiotic and destroy he credibility as a character because the Samus we know would never wear heels like that.

They are there for one reason, and that's to make the dicks of puerile manchildren hard.
Animehermit

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:03 pm Reply with quote
It's completely out of character for Samus, which is why i think it's dumb. She's supposed to practical bad-ass. Heels aren't practical at all. Furthermore, heels are a gender signifier, meaning they want Samus to look more like a girl.

And I haven't even brought up Other M, because it has nothing to do with the conversation (though this design takes inspiration from that game.
Mister Ryan Andrews

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
The Samus we know would never wear heels like that.

Um... besides the games she does wear them.. and in other material like the manga?
Brimfyre

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:11 pm Reply with quote
animehermit wrote:
It's completely out of character for Samus, which is why i think it's dumb. She's supposed to practical bad-ass. Heels aren't practical at all. Furthermore, heels are a gender signifier, meaning they want Samus to look more like a girl.

And I haven't even brought up Other M, because it has nothing to do with the conversation (though this design takes inspiration from that game.

Not really. Her Zero Suit is from Zero Mission. This design is a mix of all versions of her Zero Suit so far, and probably a version in an upcoming game.

Anyway, they don't look like heels, they are just rocket boots. You are looking for things to rage about.

If anything they are certainly not sexist. lol They aren't. Just get that out of your head. Her shoes aren't sexist.

I also have a feeling you've never played a Metroid game, as getting Samus out of her suit and into something more feminine has been the reward for every single Metroid game except Metroid Prime. If based only on that it's totally in character.

Zero Mission's ending was played completely in her Zero Suit. You can't just mix and match things you want Samus to be to fit your head canon.
Animehermit

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Brimfyre wrote:
Not really. Her Zero Suit is from Zero Mission. This design is a mix of all versions of her Zero Suit so far, and probably a version in an upcoming game.

The Zero suit first appeared in Zero Mission but the design with a heels was in Other M, which is what I was referring too.

These are clearly meant to be high heels:
http://imgur.com/853xosd

Regardless of their use it's still completely dumb. There's a myriad of other design decisions they could have used that are less problematic.

Quote:
I also have a feeling you've never played a Metroid game, as getting Samus out of her suit and into something more feminine has been the reward for every single Metroid game except Metroid Prime. If based only on that it's totally in character.

I've played most of them, but that's really besides the point. It's just as problematic in those games.
Mister Ryan Andrews

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Brimfyre wrote:
You can't just mix and match things you want Samus to be to fit your head canon.

The problem with Samus is she gets portrayed differently depending on country because of the changes made in localization. In America, they try to bill her as some 'tough as nails, I don't need no man' bounty hunter type in all the American promotional material (manuals, commercials, etc) and I guess the American game (Prime, which I'm guessing is why it's the only game that doesn't reward you with Samus' body in the end. Also I heard more 'bounty hunter' shows up in later Prime games but I never played the second and third because I didn't like Prime).

Meanwhile in Japan, they always played up the feminine, cheesy factor of it. The Japanese commercial for Zero Mission is a hilariously blatant segment of Samus in the zero suit crawling in an air-duct focused on her ass with long camera pans up and down her body in various poses.

Super Metroid did the same thing. American commercial is about how "xtreme' and 'tough" the game is by showing some vicious dog attacking it then turning into a poodle because "THE GAME IS JUST THAT HARDCORE GUYS". Meanwhile, the Japanese one shows Samus in her underwear, and talking about how she has to rescue the Baby Metroid because it thinks she's its mother.

So basically Americans think Samus is some stoic badass because of bad localization. Though the issue with that is the games themselves contradict this immensely with all the cheesecake shots in them so I'm not sure why they still do it but eh, localizers are weird like that. It's especially worse in Fusion and Other M because those games actually have quite a bit of story/dialog which also contradicts the image. They might have gotten away with it in the 80s and 90s where limitations prevented a lot of story and dialog, but it doesn't fly in this day and age.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:31 pm Reply with quote
She's called a Space Hunter in Japanese. That dosen't sound too far from Bounty Hunter.

Even in the Japanese games(before Other M) she's portrayed as pretty stoic and a good warrior.

There's fanservice, but it's nothing more then a space bikini. Nothing gratuitous and just pretty cheesy.

They've made it known she has sex appeal and that's it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Brimfyre wrote:
I'm sorry, when did high heels supposedly become degrading?

I know plenty of women who wear high heels all the time. The things some of you people try to make offensive always gives me a good chuckle.

furthermore, if this were noticed with any other character people would handwave it saying "it's not sexist, don't be so uptight, bro." Really, gamers have defended Dragon's Crown, Soul Calibur, Grand Theft Auto, Lords of Shadow 2, frequently whine about Anita Sarkesian, and THIS is what suddenly makes people so sensitive towards depictions of women in gaming? Nuh-uh, not buying it, not for a second. It's more than a bit disgusting and shameful how people would willingly exploit a serious issue just so they can whine about Other M. But then again I suppose telling those people that their fanfiction depictions of Samus are complete fantasy is too much for them to accept.

Last edited by AiddonValentine on Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:45 pm Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
Brimfyre wrote:
I'm sorry, when did high heels supposedly become degrading?

I know plenty of women who wear high heels all the time. The things some of you people try to make offensive always gives me a good chuckle.

furthermore, if this were noticed with any other character people would handwave it saying "it's not sexist, don't be so uptight, bro." Really, gamers have defended Dragon's Crown, Soul Calibur, Lords of Shadow 2, frequently whine about Anita Sarkesian, and THIS is what suddenly makes people so sensitive towards depictions of women in gaming? Nuh-uh, not buying it, not for a second. It's more than a bit disgusting and shameful how people would willingly exploit a serious issue just so they can whine about Other M. But then again I suppose telling those people that their fanfiction depictions of Samus are complete fantasy is too much for them to accept.
I really don't understand this. Those games also came under fire, probably by the same people who I guess have a problem with Zero Suit Samus. Those games sure did'nt get a free pass. I also doubt that these people whine about Anita.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Chagen46

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Masterful evasion of the question.

High heels are sexually charged articles of clothing. There is obvious sexuality in giving Samus high heels, which is completely stupid and pointless.
Animerican14

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
They're not offensive per se. But they are incredibly goddamn stupid, out of character, and sexist. There is zero reason for Samus to wear them. They look idiotic and destroy he credibility as a character because the Samus we know would never wear heels like that.

Well gee, if you're going to say all that, it's weird to preface all that with "They're not offensive per se." Rolling Eyes
Quote:
They are there for one reason, and that's to make the dicks of puerile manchildren hard.

Oh, please the only people I'd imagine getting seriously off to them are those with foot/shoe fetishes or trying too hard to imagine S&M situations with a fictional character. (What's with your insults being so nasty and calling people who find things to be attractive that you don't "puerille man children" anyway?) I doubt having such heels on the overall design is little more than for aesthetic 'beauty' and a gender signifier that I suppose more Japanese game developers (judging by Team Ninja and now Sakurai's team) are comfortable seeing on someone like Samus than, say, American developers would be. That's it. It's not really perverted (you'll really have to stretch and contort that adjective to describe this as such), and it's not really gratuitous. Like Brimfyre said, I think it'll do you good to get some fresh air. I know it's a gorgeous day here in St. Louis!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Brimfyre

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Masterful evasion of the question.

High heels are sexually charged articles of clothing. There is obvious sexuality in giving Samus high heels, which is completely stupid and pointless.

What question did I evade? The backhanded insult? That wasn't a question.

But just to feed the troll, I am happily married for over 5 years and have a kid, and trying for another one. But nice try.

Just because I don't see Samus's boots as offensive, I must just compulsively masturbate at the thought of women in rocket boots right?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 11